1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking Preconceived Notions: "You can't win a championship without a _____"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dharocks, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So it's pretty much accepted as a fact that without a superstar, a team can't win a championship. But what I've noticed is that most people don't seem to actually take the time to think about WHY that is. They just point to history, and say it's "never been done, the Sonics and Pistons were flukes, etc., etc".

This wasn't always the argument. It used to be that you couldn't win a championship without a great big man. Then the Bad Boys won two in a row and it became "a great big man... Or PG". Then the Jordan Bulls won 6 in 8 years without either, so it became "superstar". But why do you need a superstar? Because all the other championship teams in the past had one? That in and of itself doesn't seem like great reasoning.

So far as I can tell, all of the teams that win championships have the following things in common, without exception:

1. Strong Defense
    2. Rebounding
    3. A player who can create a good shot against a set D at the end of the game (aka: a closer)

That's the formula. Most teams also have at least two scorers, but there are exceptions to that one.

It makes sense why you'd want to build a championship team around a superstar big, they can often provide your team with all three of those things and at least two of them, and a superstar is usually a guy who fits the "closer" description. But couldn't you conceivably build a team that had a great defense, dominates the boards, and has an end of the game scorer/creator without having a guy who's a top 5-10 player? Well, yeah. The Pistons did.

Now obviously the salary cap makes it more difficult to put together a team of good but not great players, versus one or two superstars and a supporting cast of middling/average players. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. Just more difficult.

I'm just tired of people spouting the "You need a superstar!!" line, as if there's some magical property to being an anointed superstar that can make a team a championship contender. To me it's just a lazy way of thinking, and it's a refrain that's becoming more and more common. I wish we could just do away with it.

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Basically you need a good team lol

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Oh and a superstar

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Of course there has been exceptions to not needing a superstar, but the pistons had a lot of good players and AMAZING defense.
    9/10 times you're going to need a superstar.
    Jordan, Hakeem, Kobe.. It's always a superstar

5. dharocks

Yes, this is basically the point. And it's easier to build a good team around a great player because the rest of the guys don't have to be as good, but it's not the only way.

6. dharocks

Why though? What's the magical property of a superstar?

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

The talent, the skill, the heart to will your team. That's why LeBron can't do it. He may be great but he doesn't have heart.

Someone with amazing talent and a huge drive to win really sets a team off. Now put some good role players around him and see what happens.

Basketball also is just a 5 on 5 sport. One amazing player makes a HUGE difference on the court. Of course a superstar makes a difference in all sports, but most sports don't have just 10 people on the court at once and are more of a team effort.

I don't know, does that make any sense?

8. dharocks

The first part doesn't, the second part does. What I'm arguing is that having 5 good players who are very good at their specific roles on the court can ultimately produce the better team than the lineup of one or two superstars and middling or mismatched supporting cast members.

9. supdudes

supdudes Member

a body temperature somewhere in the high 90's

10. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

just thought of Gene Hackman from The Replacements haha

11. victorx91

victorx91 Member

Because superstars also come with aid from the refs.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I don't buy the argument requiring a star 100%, but I do admit that it's the best answer so far, or maybe the easiest.

That magical property of the superstar is this: every team with home court advantage come playoff time is a good team. In a best of seven series, the team that normally wins is the one that adapts its defense to destroy the offense of the other team, especially in crunch time. A superstar obviates this tactic by 1. splitting the doule team and scoring, or 2. exploiting the double team by dishing to the open man and allowing them to score. It's a time-tested formula that works, but they're are other ways.

13. dharocks

Right, a 'closer' basically, but I don't think this is a trait possessed exclusively by players considered superstars.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

3. A player who can create a good shot against a set D at the end of the game (aka: a closer)

People often say you need a (single) closer to win a championship, but I've always thought it could be summed up as offensive weapons, while you have several players who can hit shots or create off the dribble. Honestly, I think if a team has a real shot, they need a few guys who can create.

Chicago typically had one main closer in MJ with Paxson, Armstrong, or Pippen coming in for occasions. In 2nd championship run, they had not only Jordan, but Kukoc and Kerr (when he's open).

Houston had Olajuwon, but they had Cassell, Smith, Maxwell, Elie, Horry, and Drexler (the following year) who could hit shots or create off the dribble.

San Antonio had 3 or 4 guys, Ginobili, Parker, Finley, and Barry, briefly Stephen Jackson. Probably throw in Duncan as well.

More or less, it's always about matchups, if your creator is cold or is getting taken out of the game by a great defense/defenders (triple teamed those other players should be ready to win the game).

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It actually seems pretty reasonable to me. Historically, championships are won with good teams AND a superstar. The defense and rebounding are much easier to improve through coaching. A superstar is VERY difficult to find. The other aspects of a championship contender can come through coaching, hard work, chemistry, and teamwork.

I actually don't disagree with much of the rest of your post. And, superstars aren't some magical beings that make crappy teams good. The truth behind the superstar impact is more that they are severely underpaid. If Lebron and Wade were able to be paid what they are worth, they wouldn't be on the same team. You could conceivably build a championship team with some other collection of "underpaid" or high value players. The pistons did that by getting some players that were exceptional defenders. Again, it's not something special about the arbitrary label of superstar, it's the fact that a Lebron or Wade or Howard or Kobe adds significantly more value to their team than the totality of their max contracts.

But, sorry, I'm not going to get on board with an average defensive team full of good role players that just outrun other teams with their depth in a lockout season. They aren't good enough to win a championship.

We can go through and explain the confines of the salary cap in every thread or we can make the much simpler comment that "they don't have a superstar, they won't win a championship". Would you prefer we say "They don't have a great defense and they don't have a late game closer. Also as the game slows down and there is more time in between games in the playoffs, their depth will have less of an impact. Other playoff teams will shorten up their rotations and the impact of their best players (sometimes superstars) will be magnified making their already average defense look mediocre. And, when coaches have more time to gameplan for these very good role players they will find it much more difficult to score while there a select few players in the league (generally labeled superstars) that seemingly find ways to score on anyone"?

16. dharocks

I would prefer that we all just look evaluate teams on a case-by-case basis, consider their merits, and draw educated conclusions rather than make blanket statements without considering context. Reasoned basketball discussion instead of cliches and parroted conventional wisdom.

That's ultimately the inspiration for the thread.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There have been title winning teams that rebounded poorly, including the Rockets.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I layed out the reasoning behind the "you can't win a championship without a superstar" comments. It is an educated conclusion both because it considers the merits of the current team and it takes into account historical evidence. If you and others want to bury your heads in the sand and ignore the truth more power to you.

ra ra go nuggets go!! championship here you come!:p

but out of respect to you guys, i'll try to leave the superstar talk alone and discuss why teams without one can't win it all.

19. dharocks

I was talking about in general. Why do you think I'm talking about the Nuggets though? I don't think they're a contender.

20. dharocks

Yeah, it's generally more like a strong rebounding or a strong rebounder, it was more to emphasize the point about the former emphasis on bigs and a list of three looks better.