1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

BREAKING! Paolo Banchero Now the Betting Favorite to go No.1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 23, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fire his ass if this is true.

No worries, you can go with him.

2. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I don’t think you understand how Vegas lines work or how much money it takes to move them

The Beard, Yung-T and JayZ750 like this.
  3. Asian Sensation

What if Stone’s master plan and first choice was Jabari all along and Banchero was a smokescreen. Orlando has been mum on their top choice. Aside from Chet and his camp wanting OKC they haven’t said much. Everyone assumed Banchero would be 3rd from the beginning so Houston just rolled with that and getting rid of Wood can be a move that suggested Banchero incoming but can also mean Jabari. We really might get Jabari as long as OKC doesn’t f@ck it all up.

Believe It! likes this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I just don't see the logic in trading up, unless they are doing it to take Smith or Chet.

Smith and Chet have been the consensus top 2, and are also technically better fit for the Rockets' current core. If Stone was to move up, it'll make more sense if their objective was to pick one of these guys.

However, Paolo has been a clear 3rd pick for a while. If for whatever reason Paolo is taken earlier, I don't see why the Rockets can't settle for Chet or Smith, who are both better fits on paper as well.

In addition, it would also mean that Stone's activities somehow leaked to gamblers before the biggest insiders (like Woj or Shams) got a hold of the information, since neither guys have tweeted anything yet.

Yung-T, cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Most strange is the timing imo. Nearly 2 am HOU time?

I lean to it all being a bit of a smokescreen bit Vegas ain’t no idiots that’s for sure.

fun….

D-rock likes this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think you understand how common this is. There is literally a term for it called "head fake".

ThrillaNManilla and D-rock like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You would fire Stone immediately before seeing the outcome of the players?

Why can that poster go with him? He’s spot on IMO.

8. ac in austin

I'm no fan of Stone. But basically because I hate Tillman and I assumed he was an empty suit. But he’s had basically two things that really matter to a team in a complete rebuild…the Harden trade and last draft. Both look like B grades at minimum and possibly A plus plus.

Your ass would be fired already since you wanted b**** ass Simmons who refuses to play basketball instead of all the nets picks. I mean if Irving refuses to sign the harden trade might end up as a total heist since Durant will leave too. I mean your guy Eason that you want so bad is only possible cause Stone did what you wanted him fired for 6 months ago. That 17 pick is from the Nets.

Your problem is you can’t abide losing and demand perfection.

If we trade up and draft Paulo and he ends up awesome it won’t matter at all that we could have drafted him third anyway.

9. ac in austin

Ok I guess you think this is a small enough market to manipulate? I will just disagree with that take but apologize for insinuating you didn’t understand how lines move.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's a bit unnerving for sure for those of us who want Paolo.

Denovo and red5rocket like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

*yawn*

12. ac in austin

This feels like when Trump was the betting favorite for like two hours in the middle of the night of the last election. At least I hope…much ado about nothing.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is only speculation, frankly if Paolo ends up 3rd pick tomorrow, then it's a pretty safe assumption that it was simple market manipulation. In addition, the sum of money required isn't exorbitant, since the public is naturally going to follow along.

I'm skeptical here because news as big as this would already be reported by notable insiders across the NBA. It's really difficult for them to miss this scoop especially when teams are constantly throwing out smoke screen for the media to latch onto.

D-rock and houston19519 like this.
  14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Chet pls

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't sleeeeeeeep...

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

My guess is that this was either Mattress Mac or Tilman putting down a big bet at the Golden Nugget.

17. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Until Woj or Shams report Paolo is going 1st I”m not believing anything. By all accounts Jabari is Orlando’s guy, I’m sticking to that.

18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I think this is just betting manipulation.
    I don't think info would suddenly become available at 2am+.
    All the gm's are asleep getting ready for tomorrow.

houston19519 and robbie380 like this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Some kind of arbitrage play but I’m half way asleep and maybe not reading it right

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%!

D-rock likes this.