1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Breaking News: Intelligence Witness said "It is definitely a Coverup"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tie22fighter, May 19, 2004.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Maybe you don't listen to as much Anti-Flag as I thought you did, that's the name of one of their more popular songs.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

maybe i don't know them from adam and what, exactly, is the name of one of their songs?

3. twhy77

One of their songs is called This Machine Kills Facists, so I thought you were referencing them with your sig.

4. thegary

actually, i am referencing woody guthrie.
    who listens to too much Anti-Flag? :)

5. twhy77

I used to, my bad though...

No harm no foul....

6. thegary

give ole' woody a listen ;)

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The French in Algeria used torture, and they lost. There is a long list of nations that used torture as the norm for gathering info and lost. Torture results in people saying what they thing the inquisitors want to here and the information is not reliable.

Even if there was no moral objection to torture, I would think that following a means of intel gathering that has resulted in failure wouldn't be wise.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is the Right Wing so willing to sacrifice our honor and ideals for a little more security? You know what, being the citizen of a free and just society is not for wussies. If it means that we are less secure because we are not going to stoop to torturing information out of prisoners, that is a risk that true patriots should gladly take. I would much rather live in a United States that is true to it's ideals and less secure, than a country that bought it's security at the price of its soul.

#28 gifford1967, May 20, 2004
    Last edited: May 20, 2004
  9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't buy this arguement. I think torture is probably a very effective way of getting information. We still shouldn't do it.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

So how are differentiating yourself from the Al-Quida murderers that video taped the beheading?

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Isn't it obvious? They're "THEM", and we're "US". ALl other reasoning flows from this...

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I pointed out one example in history where it didn't work. The Japanese in WWII is another. The list could go on and on. Most intel people, including military intel people that I've heard talk about it say that any info received under torture is unreliable.

13. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

It could just be politically correct posturing, but several experts state, and have for years, that torture, in general, gets you what you want to hear, but not necessarily the truth.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's an ideological extremist of the Al-Abama variety, they are ideological extremists of the Al-Qaeda genre.

Same philosophy & rhetoric, good vs. evil, etc...just different sides.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Well said.

16. thegary

or neil young versus lynard skynard

17. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

But that is exactly my point. There won't be a damned country if we give these subhuman savages their "constitutional rights." What if we captured a terrorist who had information on a nuke plot in NYC. Would you authorize torture in such an instance? Or simply just let him walk because he wouldn't willingly give up said information without a little rough treatment?

Now I agree, sodomy with broomsticks is ridiculous and sick. Taking pictures of prisoners in naked piles is not going to get you information.

This is war, here, folks. It's not play-nice time. You only allow these people to live to give you information. Otherwise, you shoot them dead.

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You're right, war is not "play-nice" time. I agree. And with that, you just made a good case for why we shouldn't have gone to war in the first place.

Because your type of mentality is inescapable for many trained warriors (ie soldiers). You don't put them in a war time situation unless you absolutely need to. Pearl Harbor, yes war is necessary. Rumors of WMD halfway accross the world. No, war is bad.

It is getting clearer and clearer that W will have a tough time in November. Lucy, you got some splainin to do.

20. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

That is ridiculous. War has no rules. I don't give a damn about the Geneva Convention, which only we follow. War is simply killing more of the enemy than they kill of you. The problem is that just like in Vietnam, we're doing that. The sticky wicket is the public relations war. Our media, which lost us Vietnam (which we should not have been involved with anyhow) are doing the same thing with their never-ending negative drumbeat. Is it possible to wage any sort of war in a free society with that sort of coverage? Can we ever wage a war like WWII with satellite phones and imbeds covering every second of it?

We get all squeamish over the rights of a few scumbag, thug terrorists. We would have never firebombed anything or dropped the nukes on Japan. We would have tried to understand why the Japanese flew kamikazees into our ships. This is a different and much more weaker era. We would not have had the fortitude to get it done, with all of these bleeding-hearts who populate our media outlets and colleges like some kind of infestation.