1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News(ESPN): Jake Plummer Not Going To Be Texans Next Starting QB (TB Bucs)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ron413, Mar 2, 2007.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Two of the greatest NFL QBs of my lifetime, Joe Montana & Tom Brady, were both 3rd round picks.

The Texans need to concentrate on building an offensive framework (i.e. a great offensive line and running game to go along with Andre Johnson) that will allow any QB to succeed. If they spend this #1 pick on another QB, then this franchise is crap from the top down.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well if I were the owner than yes I would of taken Young and we would of been better off right now but the goal is to win a super bowl not bring in a running qb who will help you win games quick (ie. Vick) but not titles.

I love VY and I'm not saying he cant/wont win a super bowl but I will have to see a running qb do it to belive it, no matter how good someone is.

My point is, I don't care what school someone went to or if there from here in Houston I just want to win a super bowl and as great as Vince is he will need to change his game and play like Steve Young played in order to win big.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Brady was a 6th round pick

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yea im with you. Just cross your fingers that the Vikes dont take him at #7 because their qb situation is worst than the Texans.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's huge. I'm not necessarily opposed to removing Carr, although I do think I have a higher opinion of him than most of you. But if Carr is moved, it needs to be for a move with substantial upside. It's going to take a lot of cap dollars to change the QB situation — from cutting/trading Carr and acquiring the new contract of another QB.

If the Texans are going to do that, there at least needs to be a chance that the new QB is the solution for the future, and I don't think that's the case with Plummer. It would be change for the sake of change. It might be a marginal upgrade (although I doubt it), but even if so, imo it's not worth the cap room it would taken given that no one views him as the answer. Keep Carr until a more viable alternative is found, and upgrade the rest of the team in the process.

6. Major

Major Member

Why do people keep saying this? For example, if the Texans had made this trade, for example, and then simply cut Carr, they'd have saved millions on their cap number each of the next two years (it would have cost a 4th round pick, obviously).

Carr's contract is mostly base salary and relatively little signing bonus - that means he's easy to cut without much penalty if you wanted to go that way. Plummer was the opposite, which is why it was more complicated for Denver because the massive signing bonus accelerates.

Getting a new QB does not necessarily require a lot of cap dollars - depending on who you get, it might actually save quite a few.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Make that 3. If Quinn is still there he will be by far the BPA.

two teams ahead of the texans that might nab him are cleveland and minny. cleveland could go many different ways, but it doesn't look like they are taking quinn at the spot they are currently. Minny could go after him as well, but they are cheap and did spend a 2nd rounder on Tarvaris Jackson last year, so who knows.

8. The Cat

Is that true? I hadn't looked at the cap situation myself, primarily because it's so complex with the NFL, but all I had heard for months was how difficult it would be for the Texans to let go of Carr because of the massive cap hit they would take.

In any event, I'm also pleased with it from an on-field perspective — I don't even want to imagine Plummer behind this offensive line.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You know, I used to have this opinion as well, but at this point it seems like it is time for change, even if it is just for the sake of change. His teammates seem to have no faith in him and they desperately need a leader on the field.

10. Major

Major Member

Carr's contract is (approx) $6MM base + $2.3MM bonus. If you cut him, you have to still keep his bonus money, but save the base. So you'd save $12MM over 2 years and have to keep about $4.5MM.

However, it looks like I was wrong about Plummer. My understanding was that he had a base salary of $600,000 and like $7MM in signing bonus (that's how it was first several years in Denver), but it looks like that may have been restructured somewhere along the line. He has about a $5MM base salary, so trading for him and dropping Carr would have about a $1MM net savings, so it's more of a wash than I originally thought.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Texans gave Carr that $8mil bonus last year for that 3-year extension, right? Meaning the bonus cap hit is $2.67 mil/year. That would mean they'd take a 2-year bonus-acceleration hit($5.33 mil) if they trade Carr. But save the $5 mil or so base salary they need to pay him. If they cut him, I believe right now the bonus hit would be spread out over 2 years, meaning $2.67 mil/year. Thus saving them capspace of $2 mil+ the next two years.

12. Major

Major Member

You're counting the money twice. When it says its a cap hit, they really mean it's not a cap savings. So right now, his cap cost would be:

2007: Salary + Bonus
    2008: Salary + Bonus

If you cut him, it would be:

2007: Bonus
    2008: Bonus

or, possibly:

2007: Bonus + Bonus

So you'd either save $6MM this year and $6MM next year, or $3.5MM this year and $8.5MM next year, depending on if it accelerates or not.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I know that getting rid of Carr just to appease certain fans only to end up with something worse is stupid.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The NFL cap rules give me migranes.

Evan

15. The Cat

Err... according to the NFL Network, this deal is off and Plummer will retire. :confused:

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL!!

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

he MAY be trying to use what leverage he has to pick which team he wants to go to. Which MAY be Houston.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're right. My mistake.

Basically, all this means is that the Texans aren't losing much in terms of cap flexibility by trading him. But also means that whoever gets him pays quite a bit of money. Perhaps more than Carr deserves. Even so, since Carr has no bonus money coming from the team trading for him, it would be a low risk endevour for that team. Which is why he still has some trade value.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's what I'm thinking.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Report: QB Plummer to retire Click here to find out more!
    NFL.com

(March 2, 2007) -- NFL Network's Adam Schefter has learned Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer is expected to announce his retirement.

Earlier today, it had been reported that the Broncos agreed to terms on a trade that would send Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick. That trade is expected to be nullified due to Plummer's decision to retire.

Plummer has played 10 seasons in the NFL. A second-round draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 1997, he played six seasons in Arizona before signing with Denver in 2003. He led the Broncos to the 2005 AFC Championship Game, but was replaced as the starter late in the 2006 season by rookie Jay Cutler.
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10033012