1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking news: Correa to the Mets!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

Bingo bango boingo.

Exactly.

He's not even Bregman at 3B as a hitter.

2. Yordan The Great

I stated that in 2023 as a repeat offender the tax goes up substantially more and he'll have a luxury tax that exceeds at least half of the teams payroll.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Astros vs Mets is going to be one for the history books. Can't wait. Good for CC, what a team the mets have now

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

In related news: Correa has now been tagged the next Mrs USA *pending a physical*

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. CinematicFusion

The Correa deal, if it goes through, brings their payroll and luxury tax for this season to $495 million, according to ESPN. Their nine-figure luxury tax payments will be more than 11 teams spend on players.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

6/19 - 6/21 at MMP - The Preliminary Round.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The only good part of this is Yankees fans are pissed. Correa's long-term health seems questionable now. Maybe a conscious decision to switch to 3B considering it's less demanding physically?

Yordan The Great and Madmanmetz like this.
  8. Yordan The Great

So if he becomes an average defensive 3rd baseman with a slightly above average 3rd baseman 's bat (20 homers, 85 BIs), is that worth 315 million?

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just a reminder Astros won all 4 games between them and the Mets last season. Began on 6/21 btw.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I can't imagine him being an average fielding 3rd baseman. His AVP should hold up fine for the next 5-6 years in the field. Last half I would expect him to slowly start bulking up and become a top DH option.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm less certain. Other than a lot of terrible "hot takes" from talking heads with almost no actual reporting or information.
    The Correa camp won't want to talk about it, b/c anything about his health in the news is bad, bad, bad. The Giants won't want
    to talk about it, b/c the whole story makes them look alternately cheap or devious. What free agent will want to get a big offer from them now?

Fan base will be largely furious, as they really wanted a splash signing this off-season, versus a roster of very-good minor-league players you've never heard of. Ouch.

13. Jeremy Williams

Hahahhahahaha

RunninRaven likes this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why would he become “average” defensively?

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Are physicals that expensive? Especially for a multi-millionaire. I guess he just took it as an insult.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He'll be worth about the same as a slightly above average defensive SS with a slightly above average bat, though the positional adjustment would have an impact.

But $26M is not outrageous if the medicals are about a long term issue. They are developing new tests which MAY be predictive of issues that normally appear as you age. Both the predictive value of these tests and when the onset may occur are arguable for now.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The insult cost him $35M. I'm guessing the physical, even a very thorough one, wouldn't come close.

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Giants are in a bind because if they discovered something during the physical they can't release any info without the risk of getting sued for HIPAA violations. This can scare away any future free agents thinking Giants can just change their mind with the drop of a hat. Their fans are pissed and don't have much to root for. Their best pitcher in Rodon left, they whiffed on Judge and Correa. Couldn't even sign Dansby Swanson as a last resort.

Carlos better hope Mets doctors aren't as thorough if it was a medical issue.

19. Major

Major Member

WTF are people going on about? Carlos had his physical with the Giants ... they were waiting for the results. Then they got the results and disagreed on them. It's a team physical by the team doctors.

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Most likely the Astros knew of this, and that's why they didn't aggressively go after him last year.