1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking news: Correa to the Mets!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2022.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Lindor is also a platinum glove winner. Should be a very good left side of the infield when healthy.

Reminds me of Brady Aiken. Astros were raked over the coals for finding an issue that many said wasn't, but were proven right in the end. Time will tell if the same happens with the giants.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The speed that this happened is crazy. I wonder if the Mets already had a physical done on him during the negotiation previously, so they felt comfortable with their offer. I mean, they just dropped the overall by one year and the AAV by a million or so. Not a huge difference overall. I wonder if the details of the disagreement between Correa's doctors and the Giants doctors ever makes it to the public?

3. CinematicFusion

Carlos told Boras: “ I want to be a Met, make it happen”.
    Boras: “Yes sir”

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure a few years from now when he breaks down there will be rumors about it being predicted by the Giant's physical.... but if Correa helps get the Mets into the world series at least once by then, they won't care.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Snake... regardless of what you think, this post is out of line

6. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

It is horrible from a competitive stand point. There are so many teams that have no way of fielding a team that can add the level skill and experience. Its still baseball and the Mets could be 500 with injuries to a few key pitchers. If they Mets don't win it this year he will sign the top guy next year for whatever it takes. Cohen laughs at the tax penalty. This is just an ego play. "I want to win it everything"

Astros in 6

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  7. CrazyJoeDavola

Maybe not a bad deal for Carlos the SS.

Carlos the 3B? Is he special there on offense?

Yordan The Great likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My mercenaries disagree with your mercenaries. So business as usual.

9. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Wow, Cohen is straight up on an endorphin rush with signing big name free agents. It is a shame that the best defensive SS in the MLB won't be playing there.

I think Carlos is immediately a top-5 3B at the plate and in the field so the AAV isn't too bad. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Rendon with the injuries. Top paid 3B (2023 salary)
    1. Rendon - $38m
    2. Arenado - $35m
    3. Machado - $32m
    4. Bregman - $30m
    5. Correa - $26m
    6. Donaldson - $21m
    7. Moncada - $18m
    8. LeMahieu - $15m
    9. Riley - $15m
    10. Ramirez - $14m

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s fair. But also, **** him.

lnchan, Nick and cmlmel77 like this.
  11. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I can’t wait for Yankees fans to start complaining that it isn’t fair that the Mets are trying to buy a championship…

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Baseball needs to shrink back to 16 teams. This will do it. Eliminate all inter-league and Playoff games except for the World series. Let the era of mergers commence. Dubai wants a team...

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

LOL. You're funny, ignorant and naive. Keep posting.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

JUST IN: Steve Cohen to purchase crosstown Yankees, merging the two franchises.

This is a developing story. More to come.

#54 J.R., Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

His hitting should not be affected at all. His defense at SS, while good isn't nearly as good as his 2021 aberrant number suggests.

dWAR
    2022 1.1
    2021 2.9
    2020 1.0
    2019 1.4
    2018 1.9
    2017 1.6
    2016 1.6
    2015 1.1

I cannot imagine his dWAR dropping off with his rocket arm IF HEALTHY. He might play a little further off 3B than most because of his range to both left and right. In any case Escobar is a very low bar to improve:
    2022 -0.8
    2021 -0.4

I believe this really is a difference maker in the NL. But who knows about the long term cost of going all in? Where are the Nationals now?

#55 Marshall Bryant, Dec 21, 2022
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

What will be interesting to find out is if Correa, the Giants or maybe both got cold feet and needed an excuse to back out of the deal or if the Giants legit had a concern about his health that only came to light during his physical. I’m finding the latter somewhat hard to believe considering the Twins were in on him and therefore knew his medical history but weren’t hesitating on making him a long-term deal. The behind the scenes story will be fascinating to learn about what really went down.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I am a huge Rendon fan, but he has been hurt since his days at Rice...

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of it can be true.

There’s obviously something medically there… but it’s not detrimental enough or clear enough to prevent 10+ year deals from being offered, and doctors aren’t ever going to state a problem with 100% certainty. The Giants may have been succumbing to pressure after losing out on Judge when they first made the deal, and perhaps after a week had a little more clarity on to where their team truly stood. The Mets were “late” in getting into the Correa sweepstakes and may not have had a chance to give their final offer.

I don’t think this is just Correa’s camp sweeping the rug from under the Giants at the last second as they were all in SF ready to have a press conference… but as soon as the Giants expressed concern, Boras was ready to re-engage other teams without hesitation.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

AL
    NY NYY and NYM merge
    BOS BOS and PHI Merge
    DET DET and TOR Merge
    HOU HOU and TEX Merge
    TB TB and MIA Merge
    PIT PIT, CIN and CLE Merge
    SEA SEA
    MIL MIL and MIN Merge

NL
    SD SDP
    ATL ATL
    LA LAD and LAA Merge
    SF SFG and OAK Merge
    CH CHW and CHC Merge
    STL STL and KC Merge
    COL COL and ARI Merge
    WAS WAS and BAL Merge

#59 Marshall Bryant, Dec 21, 2022
  20. the shark

the shark Member

The Mets luxury tax penalty alone for next yr is roughly 100 mil (according to the MLB Network). That's more than a 1/3 of the teams.