1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking news: Correa to the Mets!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2022.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

This was the best-case scenario for his legacy. He made it to New York. That worked out fantastic. His career would have been buried in San Francisco. He's got star support in York too... not only to win, but his bat can hide when it doesn't quite meet the dollar amount. That said, it's also a worst-case scenario with the move to third because he's not nearly as special there. He shouldn't be signed for his bat. He should be signed for his SS glove and bat. I like it for him though. This was truly a blessing.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Woke up to this news and just…Wow. Makes me wonder if the Giants got cold feet and found a way out of that deal.

Still happy for Carlos. I was worried there was a real issue somewhere in the physical.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Arod 2.0

Madmanmetz likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That was a fantasy move if we somehow fell into Correa.
    Correa 3B Rocket Arm
    Pena SS
    Bregman 2B
    Altuve DH

I even mentioned Arod doing it for a MUCH WORSE SS in Jeter.

Now the Mets WILL try it.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

How is it good for the game that a team is going this far over the "competitive balance" tax threshold. If Mets win some championships, does that really feel like an accomplishment?

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I hope it was just buyer's remorse and a Mercenary Doctor for the Giants just helped them out of the Contract. That's a best case scenario. I do not trust any Doctor employed by BORASS who would just be a mercenary to line his pocket.

I no loner trust "Doctors" as they have proven themselves to be Financial Mercenaries to whoever PAYS them the most.

The Mets are on notice to be thorough with his physical and medical reports.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Escobar becomes a very well paid Bench IF.

8. Jeremy Williams

Carlos to 3B? Nice.

What a day for Carlos! Crazy!!

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are no asterisks in baseball.

It has the feel of "The Empire Strikes Back" and yet another attempt to buy the Championship. It's almost LAD like. And they will have no problem with their sole 2020 Championship. And if ever a Championship deserves an Asterisk, that is it.

But there aren't any.

#29 Marshall Bryant, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I see your point and agree with it.
    But the risk counters some of it. Suppose he spends all this $$$ and wins nothing?

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This brings a smile to my face. It's more fun to beat a Giant than a Midget.

12. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Wow Mets! Yes it can be perceived they are trying to buy a championship but they are taking high risks with these contracts so they would be deserving to some extent. Remember Bobby Bonilla? They are still paying him till 2035. These long contracts have crazy risk that could hamper their franchise years down the road. I'm glad they are in the NL and in the Yankees back yard.

13. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

So either: The Giants actually found something wrong with his physical or they didn’t and lied which will have effects on their ability to sign FA In the future.

If they found a medical concern and Boras and the Mets lie about anything, oh boy.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is a desperation "all in" move, unless he fails their physical too, I'm happy Carlos will be robbing an NL team for years to come.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

More likely the Giants saw something they didn’t like long term and were trying to shorten the deal

Mets doctors will see same thing but Cohen doesn’t care, it’s just fun money for him

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Ya dude that’s it

It’s amazing how I knew who posted this before I even saw your handle. You’re like the crackpot conspiracy theorist uncle everyone tries to avoid talking to at thanksgiving dinner, except you’ve chosen to sit at our Astros sub forum.

Any who, what a wild turn of events. The players will never go for it but at some point they need to put in a hard cap. Whole kinda fun to watch from afar it’s just obscene.

And yes, taking CC off SS would be a ******* travesty. He’s hands down the best defensive SS.

Major, Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I bet if the Astros spent all the money Cohen spent this year,Manfred would have a hard cap in place before Christmas.
    LOL,

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess you don’t know very many MDs personally. What an idiotic post. I’m glad you’re old, at least the clock is ticking.

19. CinematicFusion

Mets 2023 Active Competitive Balance Tax Totals
    PAYROLL TYPE TOTAL
    Competitive Balance Tax Threshold $233,000,000
    Active AAV/Payroll $335,866,666
    Est. Arbitration AAV/Payroll $29,527,007
    Estimated Player Benefits $16,500,000
    Estimated Minor League Contracts $2,250,000
    Pre-Arbitration Bonus Pool Contribution $1,666,666
    Proj. Tax Payroll $356,283,332
    Proj. Tax Payroll (Active + Est. Arb + Est. Pre-Arb) $385,810,339

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I don't quite know what to make of all this. On one hand if you have the cash and are allowed to spend it as you like, all good.
    But, I bet the other owners around the league are not running out to buy Cohen Christmas or Chanukah cards any time soon.
    Not a great look for the league.