1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News: Bush lead cut to 790 votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by The Cat, Nov 9, 2000.

1. DUDE

DUDE Member

How about a touch screen TV?
    That might be the way to go next election. Maybe when you get there you type in your Voter number, and are able to go to the next screen where you can touch the screen to vote. That way it is easier to keep up with people voting and it stops the chance of anyone trying to vote twice.
    I think it sounds like a fair idea. Anyone else?

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Whether she was democrat or not, that doesn't matter, the ballot was created in error. Nobody has said it was intentional. It was simply a mistake that caused people to vote for somebody they wouldn't have therwise voted for. Maybe Bush lost some vote to Buchanon as well. And by the way, you just called Dan Rather and Tim Russet a moron, as well as many other people you probably respect. The fact that we are debating the ballot, alone, tells me we have a problem. This issue is real. People all around the world are talking about it. We clearly have a problem.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Interesting take from Buchanan. He accually sounds human.

"Meanwhile, Reform Party candidate Pat Buchanan said that ``ineptitude'' in ballot design may have caused many south Florida voters to vote for him when they meant to vote for Gore. He suggested that Gore would have won Florida on the basis of those votes.

My guess is, I probably got some votes down there that really did not belong to me and I do not feel well about that,'' he told NBC's ``Today'' show."

more...

"Buchanan told ``Today'' that it's possible the confusing ballots took the election
    from Gore. When I took one look at that ballot on election night ... it's very easy for me to see how someone could have voted for me in the belief they voted for Al Gore, he said. It's quite simple — you simply hit the second dot. It's by the 'Gore' line. It's the second line on the thing."

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited November 09, 2000).]

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I don't think the ballot was that confusing. It was okayed by the Democratic Party. It is impossible to prove that anyone voted for Buchannan when they meant to vote for Gore. People said they have, but what does that mean? I don't think that a re-vote should occur. The Democrats kept the polls open in two states to get more votes. The Democrats bribed the homeless to get more votes. Now they want everyone in Florida to vote again because they lost the forst time. I can't support this party anymore.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

5. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Guys, I live in West Palm Beach. I voted and had no problem at all with the ballot. Granted I am not a senior citizen. But this is strange because, each registered voter was mailed a sample ballot JUST AS IT WOULD APPEAR in the voting booths a few weeks ago. For those that voted twice all I can say is, What were you thinking???

The ballot used in Palm Beach county was actually designed to benefit our older/senior citizen population by not having all the names on one side (thus being able to use a larger font). In the past elections, when they had the names on one side they had to use a smaller font. After which time numerous citizens complained. So as a result of the complaints the officials tried to increase the font size by using two pages (and thus putting fewer names on each page). So it is like a damn if you do and a damn if you don't. In addition, the ballot was approved in advance by both the Democratic and Republican parties. Election officials heard no complaints at that time. Sounds to me like a bunch of sour grapes. In fact if you watched the Today show this morning and heard congressman Mark Foley from FL talk about it, Buchanan did get a large amount of votes in previous elections in Palm Beach county. So the number of votes he received was not that far off base. It also seems to me that this Congressman Wexler fellow is trying to get alot of personal benefit by doing the talk show circuit.

I will be really upset if they make Palm Beach county citzens vote again. I already think it is strange that they are throwing out numerous votes from our county (if in fact this was not done during the first count). Just do the recount (in addition to the absentee votes) and let the numbers speak for themselves.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

It was the first time the Titans sent an offense to the line of scrimmage with Eddie George in the backfield behind McNair to go with Wycheck at tight end and Carl Pickens, Kevin Dyson and Yancey Thigpen at wide receiver.

So many choices, with a full season still ahead.

"I think that might be scary for a defense," Dyson said.

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited November 09, 2000).]

6. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

And by the way, you just called Dan Rather and Tim Russet a moron, as well as many other people you probably respect.

Dan Rather and respect in the same sentence ... let's not go there.

The fact that we are debating the ballot, alone, tells me we have a problem. This issue is real.

We can debate the existence of Santa Clause, but it doesn't make him real.

------------------

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

santa isn't real?

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

8. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

lol ... Sorry to break it to you... [​IMG]

------------------

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

They don't have to "make" the voters vote again, they actually want to. And if voters don't want to vote because of it, then they will stay home. The ballots thrown out were the ones that had two holes punched in them, probably Gore voters. This benefits Bush I would imagine.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If they put Buchanan as the 3rd option, and Gore as the 2nd, we wouldn't have this mess. Its logical to have the two candidates who will actually get more than 3% of the votes at the top. I wouldn't have had too much trouble, but I can see how the ballot may have confused some older voters.

------------------

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

Dream34's comments are very enlightening.

I can really see how the ballot designers would have a problem. With so many third party candidates, they are in a really tough position.

If they squeeze all of the candidates on one page, the print would have to be really small -- and more difficult for anyone to read. Whether they have a chance or not, once the name is on the ballot, they have to treat all of the candiates equally, so they can't put Bush and Gore in big print at the top, and make the other names smaller or stagger the rest. (In fact, it probably could be questioned that the two major party candiates are listed first, rather than placing them in alphbetical or random order)

If they put the candidates on two pages, again, they treat the candidates unequally, and run the risk of having people vote twice, once on the major party candidate page and once on the minor party candiate page.

The evidence suggests that there was a problem, and it was confusing -- especially with all of the ballots thrown out for multiple votes. But still, if the procedure was followed, with both parties approving the ballot and the ballot being available in advance, then the election is valid.

FYI -- I also saw the two Palm Beach County Representatives on TV this morning, and one thing that was pointed out is that the ballot was designed by the local elected chairman of the election commission, a Democrat. If there was confusion about his candiate, he designed it into the ballot, and should have corrected it earlier.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

12. PhiSlammaJamma

DC, A lot of people approve the SAT before giving out the test, but that doesn't mean that some of the test questions aren't biased. I think the results are the best indicator. I know what your saying, and I can certianly see that viewpoint, but I'd rather go on the results. The results appear to tell us something went wrong.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

13. DUDE

DUDE Member

PhiSlammaJamma
    Do you truly believe that a revote is the way to go? If so please think it thru.

I am watching the TV right now, and all we are seeing is people ready to march with Jesse Jackson. This man is a joke. He is in it for himself, and would not be there if cameras werent there. He tries to act as though he is the second coming of Martin Luther King but he is no where near. King, I believe, did Great things.. and did them for PEOPLE, not himself. But Jesse is just in it for himself.
    Also, watching this unravel on TV, it sure seems to me that there are alot of people there JUST to be on TV. Take a look at some of those people, and you can see what I am talking about. I said SOME, not all.

A revote would be amazingly stupid to do. You would get nearly 100% turnout. Why? Because it is known that EACH vote is NEEDED greatly for Gore. If that county is revoted, why not let Bush's largest supporting county Revote? That is the can of worms you open up with this.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you only allow the people that voted the first time, which I'm sure they would if a revote happens (common sense), then you wouldn't have 100% turnout.

That argument is moot.

Look at it this way. If you don't do anything, I guarantee you something will happen, rioting or otherwise.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited November 09, 2000).]

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

who knows if the panhandlers (hehe) would have voted for Bush? Maybe these people were gonna vote for Gore but decided they didn't have to anymore since he already won the state? it's a totally different situation than those who actually made the effort to vote. i personally have no sympathy for those who decided to stay home after the announcement because there were other elections on the ballot including one important one for the Senate.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

For the most part I have kept my mouth shut, but if ANYONE is confused with that ballot then they are either morons or idiots.

News flash: a lot of people in the States are morons. Ever see Jerry Springer?

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

17. TraJ

TraJ Member

If you only allow those who voted the first time to vote, what about the people in the central timezone who perhaps went home when Florida was prematurely put in to the Gore column? If there's a re-vote, why not make it the whole state? Are we actually afraid of a 100% turn out? It seems to me that would be ideal.

------------------