1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News: Bush lead cut to 790 votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by The Cat, Nov 9, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That is maybe the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard in my life!!!! I've never seen anything this incredible!

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. Major

Major Member

More in Florida... Latest from CNN.com (no details yet):

Congressman Robert Wexler, a Florida Democrat, says 19,000 votes in Palm Beach County were disqualified because of a faulty ballot. Details soon.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I thought they stopped tallying a while ago. And at the point that they stopped it was only something like a 11 vote swing in Gores favor. Unless they actually did throw out the W Palm beach vote, and it made that much of a diff.

If thats the case...Wow. But its not enough.

Gore made up 11 votes in something like 17 of 64 districts. He needed a much bigger pull in the W Palm Beach bid. If Gore loses, He should definately want the W Palm Beach vote back, but fixed in that the ones who may of accidentally voted for Buchanan, changed for him. Then he may actually do it.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is there some process in which the ballot design is approved before actually being used?

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

6. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure what the faulty ballot thing is. I'm assuming that's not the same as the goofy-ballot issue that caused the Buchanan mess.

I did hear yesterday somewhere that some ballots didn't include a local house race and the senate race. Maybe this is related to that, but I don't know. No one seems to be talking about it on TV... Just a headline on CNN.com.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Mango, it is my understanding that both Democrats and Republicans must approve each individual ballot put forth.

The issue isnt weather or not Democrats did or didnt approve of the ballot. But that it ultimately confused thousands of voters.

Heres a tid bit. I think I heard either 4 or 7 thousand voters actually were so confused by the W Palm Beach ballot that they punched two presidential candidates. The same two holes that were next to Gore and Buchanan. Presumably that they thought they had to punch both holes to vote for Gore.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Those 19K faulty ballots are ballots where a person voted for more than one candidate. Those are being thrown out.

Here's something else regarding the ballot design. According to a person I know in Florida, voters were mailed a copy of what the ballot would look like well ahead of the election.

Nobody is going to let people revote. The best he can hope for is that he either wins the state in the recount or that the FLorida vote is thrown out and, by some miracle, the House votes for him. There has never been a revote and there likely never will be. And claiming confusion on a ballot that was approved by everyone who has to approve it isn't going to be overturned.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Fox News says the difference is 941 votes, by the way, with 32 of 67 counties recounted.

The 790 at MSNBC was with 29 counties recounted.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited November 09, 2000).]

10. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

MSNBC also reported that Gore won Florida and then he didn't and then Bush did and then he did not.
    Consider the source (media)

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If Gore somehow ends up on top after this recount, there would still need to be another recount of Florida after that, since the margin of victory would still likely be within the amount required to initiate a recount.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

No matter what happens with the recount. I think Gore should honor the count and if he looses, he should concede defeat and drop his lawsuit.

Actually in the long run I think this will help the Demos. Just think about it; bush gets in on a tainted election with no mandate. Lets see how he does, if he falls on his face, don't you think this would have an effect on the 2004?

Can you say landslide baby?

bTW I always get confused by affect and effect. does anyone else? [​IMG]

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited November 09, 2000).]

13. DUDE

DUDE Member

The thing that is pissing me off is Jesse Jackson and those types of people. Jesse is there just to further his own agenda. He isnt doing anything for the good of the people. If he was, then he would have stayed in Jasper longer. As soon as the cameras left, Jesse left.
    Now he is down in Florida spewing hatred. Spliting up Whites and blacks and further dividing an already divided country, MAINLY due to him and Al Gore for running such despicable ads such as the Truck dragging ad this month.

SOMEHOW, Al Gore will end up winning enough votes. I am not a conspirator, but You cant tell me that all the attention Gore supporters have been placing on this hasnt helped him 'find' a few votes. Total and complete BS.

And to anyone who HONESTLY still thinks the ballot was confusing, you gotta be crazy. We use the same ballots where I live, and there is NO problem telling where to punch holes. Anyone that is NON-political can obviously see that Buchanans hole is located HALF on George Bush's square and HALF on GOre's, AND can ALSO notice the Number AND Arrow next to each candidates corresponding hole.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

mc mark --

Speaking of mandates, Clinton received 43% of the vote in '92 and 49% in '96. Bush has received 48%.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

freak,

can't argue with the truth.

But this is 2000, not '92 or '96

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The stats don't lie. The numbers alone demonstrate a high probability that the ballot was misleading. I'm sure the courts will agree. You've got hard facts that prove there may have been a ballot problem. It's no longer a matter of judgement. The facts are in place.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited November 09, 2000).]

17. DUDE

DUDE Member

What is going to win this for Gore is the Democratic party has MUch more vocal support than the Republican party.
    Just around town, Any Democrat I talked to said stuff like "GO JESSE, Get Our Votes!" yet the republicans, most of them, I talked to said "I dont want to talk about it, it is just the Democrats finding ways around the rules again"

If you dont believe me, ask people you know.

------------------

18. DUDE

DUDE Member

How in the hell do the stats say the ballot was misleading? Have you seen the ballots? If so, you can not honestly say that it is misleading. BUchanan's hole is HALF on Bush's and Gore's square. The arrow leads PERFECTLY to each guys hole.
    For the most part I have kept my mouth shut, but if ANYONE is confused with that ballot then they are either morons or idiots. The newspaper had it printed out beforehand, and the people were Given the ballot Beforehand to let them see them. ALSO, Federal law states that you can Spoil TWO ballots. That means if you mess up on one, you can get another. If people dont care enough to learn the laws about the election process, then they sure dont care enough about voting correctly. The ballots were OKAYED by both parties. Nothing is fishy with these ballots at all.

------------------

19. DUDE

DUDE Member

AND the person that designed the ballot there is a democrat. She designed it like that to make it easier for Old people to see it better. It was OKAYED by both parties, so there is absolutely no excuse, and No reason to revote, etc..

------------------

20. dc sports

dc sports Member

Here's an interesting thought...

How many Buchanan supporters were confused and voted for Gore? Maybe he should demand a re-vote!

------------------
    Stay Cool...