1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking news: Astroworld to close

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Behad, Sep 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

too many bleks @Jontro

cwebbster and Jontro like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

times have changed. bleks now the supreme race. bleks and whamens. blek trans whamens

Sadat X, cwebbster, IBTL and 4 others like this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

WACKY SHACK

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A combination of factors.

The over-reliance on season passes being issue number one. Six Flags used the passes as a way to have more predicable revenue but it was still far too inexpensive and Houston area parents used the park as their daycare system. Often led to a crowd that was abusive to staff, not clean, fights, etc. Had nothing to do with race and everything to do with bored teens with no supervision. It was bad enough that families just didn’t want to go anymore, the park was dirty, and not taken care of.

The other issue was Six Flags was just massively in debt and had to right size. Instead of trying to sell the park off at the time they essentially liquidated all its assets. They tried to squeeze every dime they could to help offset some of their debt, and they didn’t have the ability to take on more debt to update and cleanup the park.

Yes the location off of 610 at that time was an issue too. The city of Houston should have done more to revitalize that area at the time. It was a rough part of Houston at the time for sure.

It was a great park though in its prime in my early teens. They should rebuild it honestly. Tillman honestly would do a better job with it than Six Flags. Have park of it be free entrance with restaurant, bars, and shopping to make it a more routine destination. Just as long as it’s not just one big rainforest cafe. Restore the layout, the themed areas, and some of the big name attractions. I endorse him selling the Rockets to get this done too.

#164 dobro1229, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Rocketland
    • Dream Shake Shack
    • Mad Max’s Roughhouse
    • The Harden Choke Chute
    • Sam Cassel’s Alien Adventure
    • Moochie’s Fro Forest
    • Yao Ming’s Bad Leg Bustup
    • Morley’s Switcheroo
    • Van Gundy’s Gripe Grip
    • Glide’s Glide Slide
    • Silas’s Silly System
    And many more

#165 Xerobull, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

*Ruler Rick's Ragin River (a lot of motion)
    *Rockets Long Distance Ride (You get shot out from a long distance but miss the target to land harmlessly. Recommended you ride 27 times.)
    *CP3's Intermediate Ride
    *Kenny and Terry's Jet Ride
    *Clyde's Whack a Baby Seal
    *Current Rockets House of Horror
    *Future Rockets Tomorrow Land (where tanking pays off)

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

• Mario Ellie's Rainbow Kiss of Death

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not 31 anymore :)

9. Buck Turgidson

Any updates on EcoQuest Adventure Park?

MadMax and justtxyank like this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

You know why it was dirty? Cuz my friends would literally hang out in the bathroom and closets for naps instead of sweeping and cleaning. I had 3 friends who worked as janitors in the summer in like 03 or 04. They said they never worked more than an hour a shift…

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think too many minorities scared the white folks away and six flags itself had too much debt.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  12. dobro1229

Yep. That was a thing with my friends who “worked” there as cleaners and they said it was the easiest 10 bucks an hour ever. Poor mgmt of course was another downfall. So yeah the janitor thing was a big thing i remember.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sounds like that business would have needed an Elon Musk style makeover.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Don't forget the Thomas Hamilton food court.

Rockets34Legend, Nick, MadMax and 4 others like this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Really is too bad for Houston that it closed. Even worse, the lot has just been unused in all the time since. Waste of land.

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

So your friends were lazy and making $10 an hour. Not surprising

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My man on the streets, @ima_drummer2k informs me that they're installing the monorail track now but let's keep that on the q.t.

18. dobro1229

Actually, they were upper middle class rich kids from the Friendswood/Clear Lake area and it was back in 1998 when10 dollars an hour got a 16 year old alot further than it would get a struggling single mother with a mortgage in Houston in 2022. I remember very well sitting at the lunch table listening to them telling us how they get paid 4 dollars more a hour to do nothing but walk around a bit, and talk to girls while some us that mowed lawns or whatnot had to actually work.

I know what your comment is designed to troll for. In the context of the reality of the situation I'm talking about, you are actually way off in what you are trying to assume.

King1 likes this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Upper middle class aren't the same as rich. Kids are super lazy. There was no trolling on my part. You try to assume too much but props on mowing lawns. I did as well. Normally got around $25 and had regular customers. That's honest work.

On the struggling single mother part I know a few managers at really nice apartments that would possibly be willing to help. Only issue would probably be no pets because of the properties. You can do me if you genuinely have someone in need. We don't need to put it on the board. I'll do my best to help. I know it's tough out there on a lot of people. I'm being genuine. If they are close to the Woodlands I'll take them grocery shopping

#179 King1, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. dobro1229

I was just making a point that at the time at astroworld it wasn’t always your typical profile for low skilled workers. Six flags wasn’t hiring people with much motivation or supervision and back then giving 16 year olds with nothing to pay for but cheap gas in their lifted Tahoe, 10 bucks an hour seemed pretty good.

One of the big issues I think is the way our sort of weekend entertainment issue used to be and sometimes still relies on cheap labor with high
    school kids just needing a little bit of cash but no
    need for insurance, etc. In this market if you start a retail or entertainment business you can’t always assume that labor market is there. And if it is there you still need good professional leadership.

King1 likes this.