1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking - Military Uprising in Turkey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stack24, Jul 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

My friends in Turkey is saying that in Istanbul there are a lot of groups in the streets and it could get ugly against soldiers.

Sent me this video of Akara

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/0zai" width="360" height="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think this would be one of the few times it would be ok to spend money to change flights. Just saying.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'd disagree on a military government being better for the Kurds. Ironically, the AKP relies on Kurdish votes because many Kurds are religious conservatives. While there's an animous relationship, the past governments have been far more hostile.

Secularism doesn't prevent governments from hostility towards different ethnic and linguistic groups. The Turkish-Kurdish conflict isn't really a religious thing. It's a historical conflict that is far deeper than religion. Many of Turkey's past secular governments have been far more hostile to the Kurds. And the military has an especially bad record in this area.

But you are correct in assuming that Turkey will end up with a more secular government. I just worry about the day to day lives of the people there. The economy is going to crater because of this.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

well, I'd say wait 24 hours and the state dept. will issue something.
    Then you call your airline saying, given Turkey's changed status, I need to change my flight just to obey my government's advice.

You may still lose the award miles though. The fine print on those things is just murder.

Good luck! You do NOT want to end up with this story:

"Remember that time I ended up in Turkish prison b/c I didn't want to lose my frequent flyer miles? Oy vey! I still can't sit down properly."

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think you'll lose the award miles. They will allow you to cancel and get your miles and feed back. Trust me on that.

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

what airline?

Many airlines are decent w/ award flight ticket changes. I'd say you'd be out a couple of hundred dollars at the most with the change fees. Well worth it IMO.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hope you're right. Maybe it's just my United miles that are so terrible.

Not that any of this compares to the news at hand, but United "mileage plus" (sic) has refused changes for deaths in immediate family.

Maybe having AIRPORTS shut down by military activity activates a different path. I would hope so.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Good lord. Our work just sent us a company wide email letting us know that all business travel to Europe and the Middle East has been suspended until further notice. I was also supposed to be going to Turkey to meet with a very large client of ours in two weeks. That's cancelled as of an hour ago, I'm also not complaining at all. I was not looking forward to it whatsoever.

France in November is going to be fun. How much Xanax is too much? :/

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, Smisek messed things up a lot there. But in this situation, they have to budge.

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I believe so. Not good for Doush next door.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hope to God this isn't somehow terrorists that have infiltrated the government and are initiating at coup. I seriously doubt it, but I just hope it isn't so. It really doesn't seem to be, like I said, these kinda of things just make me nervous, especially in that part of the world.

My uncle, who has a Turkish wife, was just there. This is crazy.

#31 Two Sandwiches, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This has Russia written all over it. This coup could represent Russias desire to keep Assad in power.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just returned from 3 weeks in Europe. Most of the traveling was by ship, but not all. We had a perfectly normal vacation, and I would hope that business travel can retain some semblance of normalcy. While I certainly understand wanting to be cautious, and there were many cancellations by people that were being just that (perhaps more than was needed), with 67 passengers on a ship holding 118 that is typically fully booked a year in advance, if we change our lives dramatically in response to terrorism, then they are getting the reaction they want.

There's such a thing as too much Xanax? ;-)-

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

All business travel to Europe? Overreact much? Should European companies have suspended all business travel to the USA because of Orlando? :confused:

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Well said.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

A lot of rumors swirling that this is a fake coup led by the Prime Minister, in order to expand his powers.

This is coming from people in Turkey, too.

Just rumors. I dont believe them.

#36 Two Sandwiches, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Damn.
    Is it overreacting if I look into New Zealand for my september 2 week vacation instead of ireland or spain?

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yes sir. Our Corporate is Very skilled at this. On the conference call you could hear the faint laughter and eye rolling from our management in Europe, China and South America. It felt so embarrassed for the girl reading the script and then trying to answer our sour ass questions.

I'm still elated I don't have to fly to Turkey and stay there for a week though honestly. I'll take the Houston heat, my AC and zero jet lag thanks.