1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. yo

yo Member

Sooo these oil slicks that are being reported for the 3rd day now -- are they actually going to check it out, or are they just going to keep taking aerial shots of it?

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not only that, but I heard they found oil slicks.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty sure 777 can fly themselves

4. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

FT reports the two men w/ stolen passports bought their tickets through an Iranian middleman:

http://t.co/kRNwTwotia

5. baller4life315

While it's true that hypoxia can and will incapacitate the flight crew and passengers, the pilots still would have had time to react and correct the situation if there was some sort of minor breach.

Between the alarms, emergency oxygen supplies and their ability to declare an emergency and drop the plane to 10,000 feet or so -- there are a number of ways a flight crew can handle a depressurization occurrence. The fact that there were no distress calls from the flight crew or any sort of indication that something happened leads me to believe something sudden (and major) brought down Flight 370.

I do agree, however, this situation will be unlike that of Air France Flight 447. The only viable comparison between the two tragedies is the fact that AF 447 set the precedent that it's possible for a passenger jet to go "missing".

Seriously? None of us have any idea what happened yet. Spare us all the brainless knee-jerk crap.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

I watched Lost. I know what happened to this plane.

7. baller4life315

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Breaking&amp;src=hash">#Breaking</a>: oil slicks *not* related to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MH370&amp;src=hash">#MH370</a> say searchers. Mystery continues. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23malaysiancrash&amp;src=hash">#malaysiancrash</a></p>&mdash; Jim Sciutto (@jimsciutto) <a href="https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/statuses/442983847106719745">March 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Read last night that they had already collected samples. I would assume there is no obvious debris among the slicks and therefore they don't want to immediately deploy dive teams.

I also heard that it was getting dark and the waters rough when they spotted some debris in another area.

My questions are:
    What purposes other than terrorism would there be to board a flight w/ a stolen passport? -- Drugs? Illegal Immigration? They booked their flights together, through an Iranian middleman...

If the radar evidence is true, and the plane did begin to turn around without notifying ground control, wouldn't that raise huge alarms?

I heard some people speculating it could be a missile, but who would be shooting a missile in the area? Wouldn't we know if a missile had been fired? Why would Vietnam assume the obviously commercial airline was anything worth attacking? I don't buy that story.

I've also heard people speculate that it could have been downed by a MANPAD, many of which had been stolen from Ghadifi's weapon's cache and some were reported missing in Ukraine last week. -- I wouldn't put my penny's in this bag either, the aircraft appears to have disappeared at 35,000 (although the blackbox would be needed to verify it didn't rapidly descend prior to disappearing). 1) That's an incredibly difficult shot. 2) It was 100+ miles off the coast.

If it wasn't some catastrophic mechanical failure, a bomb seems to be the only other reasonable option. But how would you get a bomb on board? Why weren't the passports checked through Interpol? Is that not common for international flights? The fact that the tickets were bought together, would this make drugs/illegal immigration more or less likely?

This is a very interesting story. If it is terrorism, was it Islamic terrorism? Was it a Chinese separatist group?

That Chinese massacre last week, was that committed by Islamic separatist? I don't know much about the incident or the group responsible.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Wow. I wonder what could explain a 6-9 mile stretch of oil. A natural fissure? Any reported missing boats recently? What a bizarre coincidence. WTF happened to this plane?!

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it was linked earlier in this thread: apparently the billions of tickets each year are NOT checked for stolen passport status. It must be just too common that some bozo loses or has their passport stolen (?)

11. Buck Turgidson

Read in the paper this morning that the US, UK and the UAE are the only 3 countries that regularly check the Interpol passport database.

12. baller4life315

For what it's worth: Vietnamese ATC asked a company jet that was flying in the vicinity of Flight 370 to establish contact with the unresponsive jet on an emergency frequency and was able to do so.

The problem? The flight crew of the nearby jet was only able to make out some mumbling due to static and interference. This is a normal occurrence, though, and not necessarily indicative of a problem. But this would have been the time for the flight crew of Flight 370 to issue a mayday call.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

[​IMG] GIFSoup

14. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Plot Twist: Plane never existed

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

The whole point of ME bringing up Air France 447 was to counter the thought that no plan can dissapear without warning and also without exploding in midair. Svpernaut never said anything about that flight.

Frankly the exact same thing could have happened. We have no idea. The only thing that is unlikely at this point is the souls on board being alive.

16. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

where are you getting this from?

17. Buck Turgidson

Wormhole

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Interesting, I am pretty sure I remember having mine scanned in both Germany and Lebanon. I don't travel much internationally though so I wasn't sure how normal this was. Thanks.

Hmm B-Bob, I guess so. Like I said, I don't travel internationally much, but I know when I do, I am one of those weirdo safety guys who straps their passport to their chest, haha!

Baller4life, do you have a source of this? Would like to read more into it. When did they try and contact the aircraft, obviously after it disappeared, but how much longer after? How long was it till they realized the craft disappeared. How close was this aircraft to the Malaysian airline? I would like to find out the answers to some of these questions.

You say that static is not uncommon? Are those conversations available, or must they also be retrieved from the flight box?

19. ArtV

ArtV Member

Given all the "stuff" you have to do to get on an airplane, I think it would be very easy to install a monitor to bring up the image of the passport that matches the db image for that bar code scan. If the image has been altered...stop. If the passport with that ID has been flagged as lost or stolen...stop.

It shouldn't be that hard.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Could not agree more. And if you've lost your passport, you have an extra hassle at the airport, showing another two forms of legit ID.