1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you notice a few pages back a screen shot of CNN covering their coverage of the airplane crash.

The TV Subtitle was: "Is coverage of the airplane crash too much?"

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How many times has Fox News rehashed "benghazi, IRS, & Obamacare problems?
    At least this has SOME new information in an ONGOING story.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

For all the b****ing about the coverage...I have to say I'm still really interested in this story. I get the sense I'm never going to know for sure...and that mystery is intriguing to me.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Then they did a crazy Ivan and were never heard from again.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I can see where conspiracy nuts will keep this alive for a long, long time.

The current status quo... we can't really find it for sure, but um, trust us -- it crashed over here in very deep water and we can't find the black box... could not be better kindling for all kinds of "they actually know" scenarios.

6. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

Also the amount paid out is partially determined by potential life earnings of the victim. Potential life earnings of the US IBM exec > typical life earnings of upper mid class Chinese passenger.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

daMn it I want to know what happened to the dam thing

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It would be pretty typical of that crowd to forever ignore the fact that there are probably very few, if any, places in the world that you could land that plane and have nobody notice. Or, they would produce a few coots that come forward ten years from now, claiming to have seen it.

9. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not to sound cold...but who is paying for other countries efforts to find the downed plane using their own resources? Are we footing our own costs for it? Remember...this country is in major debt already but I'm sure the government has no problem throwing our money around at the world's problems regardless. My opinion is the country where the flight originated from and the airline should pay all the search bills.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

At what point do you give up?

12. Surfguy

They are so scared that this is terrorism or some unknown issue with the plane that could re-occur...that I don't see them ever giving up on the search until those black boxes are found.

Also, don't people pretty much fly at their own risk? They know they could be unlucky enough to be on a doomed plane. So, how the heck do all these lawsuits come up every time a plane goes down and all these payouts go out everywhere?

It's like every person flying should sign a waver that says I fly at my own risk knowing there is a small chance something may go wrong and I could die while not holding you liable. Otherwise, don't fly. But, every time a plane goes down...it's lawsuit city and payouts city. I just don't get that. It's almost like me dying in a car accident and then a lawsuit is filed against the people who built the freeway, the car, and TDOT. Obviously, each situation is different and, in many cases, there may be a proven fault for why a manufacturer or someone should pay but it seems like we live in a society where something bad happens...a payout is due by the government or somebody somewhere.

Honestly, I don't even understand the idea of payouts for terrorist acts. The only people truly to blame are the terrorists themselves. I have no problem donating in situations like that...but should the government have to do payouts? I guess so. That's just how it works I guess.

We live with risks every day. That doesn't mean you or your family are always due a payout (or payoff?)....does it? That's what insurance is for.

#1072 Surfguy, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We are footing our own bill in the search.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Certainly now right now. After weeks and weeks it finally sounds like they're getting close. Not to mention, we're still in that 30 day window where the flight data recorders are sending out a signal.

15. justtxyank

If they haven't found anything by the time 40 days closes (what industry people say is the unofficial drop dead time for the box) then I think you'll see the efforts of many countries fall off big time.

16. yo

yo Contributing Member

If they find the wreckage/debris field, won't the box be around there? Other than making it a bit more difficult to find, why does the 30 day window have significance?

17. justtxyank

They haven't found debris. Now CNN has said that these "objects" spotted by satellite might be waves. LOL

#1077 justtxyank, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The signal the flight data recorders emit will help searchers likely locate the bulk of the wreckage.

Otherwise it's Air France 447 all over again where it will be years and years of the needle-in-a-haystack game.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]
    "Well duh."

20. Surfguy

The problem is the ocean is such a dirty, trash-infested hellhole that it's just full of debris. Man doesn't care about cleaning anything up...they just keep putting trash in or it goes in through natural disasters. It will be one downfall of the ocean ecosystem besides the other stuff like our oceans turning acidic. It wouldn't surprise me if in 50 years nothing was alive in the ocean. Even the Great Barrier Reef in Australia is dying.