1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If the motive were murder, the responsible party would be cover tracks not bragging.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, but murder and terrorism are very different motives.

3. Nero

Nero Member

One thing I have not really seen speculated yet..

Maybe the plane was 'stolen'.. but not to be sold for money, but instead to be used as a weapon.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The 777 is a big ass aircraft. If they are using it as weapon it would have a large radar signature. That is why its baffling it just disappeared.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Yes, a pilot having a flight simulator at his home, what a ridiculous idea!:rolleyes:

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Does this plane have air phones? If this plane was flying for hours off course someone would have made a call from the plane. I get that cell phones may not have worked being over water but you'd think someone on board would have used an air phone.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As a passenger, would you know you were flying off course?

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

As a passenger, would you notice the plane made a 180 degree turn midway through the flight?

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I think the flight was at like 2am so I would assume most passengers were sleeping. But if a terrorist was threatening to bring down the plane most people I would assume would turn on their cell phone regardless and alert their families of what is going on right?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Tin foil time.

Someone's hiding it to use later in an attack to use an attack on the Chinese.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Probably not at all, on a redeye over the sea. Very unlikely. Then again, these types of plans usually have this "Airshow" feature that shows you your flight path, and some people have that on at night. But I figure this could just be turned off by whoever was in control of the plane, and not many people would have noticed in the middle of the night.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pretty sure that there are a lot easier ways to get 30 million than trying to hijack a plane, make it disappear, and have the world's military actively searching for it.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You'd feel the plane turn for sure if it was a sudden change of direction, but I'm sure the pilot could explain it away pretty easily by telling you they were avoiding a turbulence pocket. Unless you were really paying attention you wouldn't be sure how serious of a turn it made.

Of course, you would notice when the plane began it's descent (if it were taken to an island) that you weren't landing where you were supposed to lol.

This is such a bizarre situation. If it was really a hijacking of some nature, I suspect that it ended up not working out and the plane crashed in the Indian Ocean.

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

Is it possible to manually depressurize the cabin to knock out all of the people yet keep the cockpit pressurized?

15. justtxyank

Agreed. It would be REALLY hard to sell it. It's not like some anonymous bidder could purchase it and jetset around the world without anyone realizing that it was a stolen plane. You can't just scratch the serial numbers off or change the license plate to trick people.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They need to check who was in the plane.

17. justtxyank

Would the pilot have the ability to stop the oxygen masks from deploying? And doesn't a plane send out an automatic distress signal if the masks deploy?

Maybe they used gas to knock people out?

I don't know. Seems incredibly crazy and far fetched honestly.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

Well, after 9/11 people are prepared to fight a hijacking so a logical step would be to knock out all the people in some fashion.

But seriously, where is this ******* plane? I cannot believe it.

19. MadMax

yep..agreed

20. MadMax

i don't know that i would suspect any turn meant we were off course.