1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: FBI raiding Mar-a-Lago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 8, 2022.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

That’s weird. If the agency was doing an investigation on a democrat it wouldn’t upset me.

Do you I guess

Xopher likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen any polling but I doubt this makes much of a difference in overall polling. For as many Republicans are crying foul about this there are as many Democrats saying "What took you so long". This energizes both sides.

jiggyfly, Andre0087, Nook and 2 others like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think people are making the mistake of looking “irate republicans” and assuming that the loudest voices on Fox and Twitter are indicative of the voting base. You have to keep in mind that the loudest voices you hear (Hannity, house GOP reps, MTG, Tucker, etc.) are all people who are connected in some way with January 6th.

Does that mean that I don’t think Hannity and Tucker can get their base riled up and that QAnon won’t be effective at getting their followers to believe this is a coup?? No of course not… but those people where NEVER leaving Trump isle and the absolute best you can hope for is maybe in a local election they decide to not vote for the nutso QAnon person because their kid is on the football team at their public school or something like that where they have personal interest in not voting in the interest of QAnon/Trump/GOP.

Abortion rights are also an interest that could bring Hannity watchers on the other side of the voting booth if they are of birthing age and are afraid of what could happen in their state.

But no I don’t think Mar A Lago moves a single voter and people are forgetting for January 6th exposure with the GOP still looms large over how they cover and react to law enforcement getting closer to Trump and whatever he is hiding that DEFINITELY could impact them too. You think Tucker Carlson isn’t freaked out knowing that now law enforcement has 2 years worth of texts with him and Alex freaking Jones??? Just think of what Trump has.

jiggyfly, Rileydog and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know yall like to complain about "whataboutism"

but where these documents even classified?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Spread the word...87,000 agents are NOT being hired. Once again, conservatives are taking at face value what people like MTG are spewing without doing 5 seconds worth of checking:

The Inflation Reduction Act, a landmark climate, health care and tax package that passed the Senate on Sunday and is expected to head to Biden’s desk after the House approves it on Friday, includes roughly $78 billion for the IRS to be phased in over 10 years. A Treasury Department report from May 2021 estimated that such an investment would enable the agency to hire roughly 87,000 employees by 2031. But most of those hires would not be Internal Revenue agents, and wouldn’t be new positions.

According to a Treasury Department official, the funds would cover a wide range of positions including IT technicians and taxpayer services support staff, as well as experienced auditors who would be largely tasked with cracking down on corporate and high-income tax evaders.

“It is wholly inaccurate to describe any of these resources as being about increasing audit scrutiny of the middle class or small businesses,” Natasha Sarin, a counselor for tax policy and implementation at the Treasury Department, tells TIME.

At the same time, more than half of the agency’s current employees are eligible for retirement and are expected to leave the agency within the next five years. “There’s a big wave of attrition that’s coming and a lot of these resources are just about filling those positions,” says Sarin, an economist who has studied tax avoidance extensively and who was tapped by the Biden administration to beef up the IRS’s auditing power.

https://time.com/6204928/irs-87000-agents-factcheck-biden/

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheFreak, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm not. Miranda Devine is.

basso and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't think you know how the DOJ works. It's independent of Biden (although obviously not independent of Trump).

You've posted so many erroneous facts and figures here, I suggest you check your sources as it's hurting your credibility on here.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

We get it. You like being obtuse.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

More bullshit

"...Trump attorney Lindsey Halligan, who was present during the multi-hour search, says that the FBI targeted three rooms—a bedroom, an office and a storage room...."

But you go ahead and keep your head in the sand believing OANN, Newsmax, Fox and Marjorie Taylor Green

#731 bobrek, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Reeko, Blatz, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

poo flinger

13. DonnyMost

I prefer to sniff.

[​IMG]

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I agree, this country is completely divided, as my dad says, your either with us or against us. You can either be on team trump or against him, this is not going to move the needle on either side. The more I hear the BS coming out of the far right the more I think they are completely living in an alternative narrative. I fear that if the far right were to take over the presidency we will have serious issues and I don't think its to far fetched to see some type of violence. If and when trump is indicted this will look like a walk in the park, the right will go absolutely nuts, I am sure trump actually likes what just happened so he can play the victim to his base. I am convinced the last thing Biden wanted was for this to happen, and the blame he gets for this is not fair but it is what it is. I am almost shocked though that some of the gop is calling for violence, they have bought into the BS.......my biggest takeaway is what will it take to unite this country, a person like Desantis is just trump lite. I think were screwed for the next few years, I think Biden really thought he could unite both sides but I dont think with crazies like MTG and Gaetz this will happen anytime soon......OR until they have complete control of all phases of the government

15. DonnyMost

Quite honestly, WGAF?

Unless I seriously overslept in civics class, I don't remember the right to have an attorney present during a police raid.

JuanValdez and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The brainwashing network for those who don't have time or the ability to research facts or think for themselves.
    Funded by GOP loyalists..

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm less worried about what difference this might make in the midterms but more that this might emboldened the most extreme out there to do something violent.

Jan. 6th showed that the Trumpist movement will do almost anything to for Trump. This is why much of the extremist rhetoric of going after the FBI and Judges needs to be taken seriously. It's also why I've been warning against those downplaying this movement.

Rashmon likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

This was always the danger of the Trump movement. There is literally no amount of evidence that can be presented to them that can convince them of his wrongdoing or of the impartial nature of the actions taken against him.

Granted, it was and is only a matter of time before Democrats succumb to this kind of thinking too. Such is life in a duopoly.

No Worries likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just throwing this bit of speculation out there.

The FBI were “tipped” that there were sensitive classified documents being hidden at the estate, to induce a raid.
    Maybe it’s coming from people who are looking for any incriminating evidence against Trump. Or, maybe it’s from people who are looking to inflame Trump supporters?

#740 durvasa, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022