1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking away from cable

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 523744, Sep 3, 2015.

1. 523744

523744 Member

So as most of you guys probably do, I stream 70% of my content now either through Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. The one and only reason I continue to have cable is to watch sports, specifically the NBA. (ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, and Root Sports)

Have any of you guys completely cut yourself off from cable, and if so how did you continue to have access to all NBA games? And I know you can stream on firstrow, ballstream etc. but I'm talking about legitimate, always available, high quality options.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I did in March. I'm subscribing to SlingTV (23 channels, ESPN and TNT included), have local antena and use my sisters Netflix subscription. I have Roku on two devices and will either buy NBA League Pass or BallStream

Right now my 15MB down speed costs $30 and SlingTv is $20. When I was on Cable, with the extra sports channels I paid $130. All in all I love it, and don't miss the additional speed or channels previously

1 person likes this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

What that guy said - get a Sling TV and League pass. I just cut my cable bill a month ago and this is also my planned path. From the other thread, I had posted this:

4. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

I cut cable completely for a while and watched no games :(
    I tried streaming but the quality sucked. Im back with cable just for sports lol..
    I know I wasn't much help, but thats my experience. If you are positive your going to cut it , be ready, comcast will charge the reactivate =/

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I cut for all of last season and watched just about every Rockets game on Ballstreams.

6. 523744

523744 Member

Won't the local Rockets games be blacked out in Houston on League Pass? Or have they changed that rule..?

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

They have not. You will need to spoof your IP address/ access LP through a proxy

8. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I get screwed over every month by DirectTV. Thats my story.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...so if you live in Houston's regional area, you would get to see the regionally blacked out games with league pass 3 days later. If that were a nationally televised game, it would be blacked out for 3 hours after the game was over and then it would be available for replay.

3 hours isn't bad but I could see how 3 days would be a pain if you lived in Houston but of course you can still watch sooner via local TV channels(I assume - haven't lived in Houston in nearly 20 years) or streaming from some of the chinese feeds of questionable legality/reliability.

10. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I cut the cable cord about 5 months ago. It's been good so far as I still have netflix, HBO Go, showtime, etc. I knew the toughest part would be the NBA season, but I will likely go with Ballstreams through the Roku.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I couldn't do it. Tried streaming strictly for a couple of weeks before I broke down. LOL.

College football, basketball, NBA, NFL, etc. Too hard to watch a lot of sports without cable or satellite.

12. dragician

dragician Member

I parted ways with uverse and the laundry list of taxes 2 months ago.

I'm still alive.

will go with ballstreams.

13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

What are you guys doing for internet service? Provider/speed/costs? I wanted to dump Comcast but the alternatives were CenturyLink only up to 20Mbps or smaller fiber providers just as expensive as Comcast and with heavy upfront "construction" fees. Ended up sticking with Comcast Blast(100Mbps)+Basic TV+HBO for $56 a month for 12 months.

14. NotChandlerParsons

I'm okay on U-Verse (no TV service). Good speed. I hate Comcast, I will never use them again.

15. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Kodi + acestream is good to great quality, and I can find almost anything. But it takes a bit of effort keep things running smoothly as the streaming world is constantly changing. Lots of ways to set this up. I use a Raspberry pi plugged directly to the t.v. and use my phone as the remote.

16. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have been cable-free since 2009. I think I started with League Pass broadband around that time. I haven't lived in Houston for a long time, so I was never subject to the regional blackouts. The games that are blocked out (ESPN, TNT, ABC, NBATV) I usually either miss, or find a stream somewhere.

I really don't miss cable (and the expensive bills) at all. Netflix / Amazon / Amazon Prime are enough TV for me. I will probably add HBO NOW if it comes to Roku.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Cable free. Ballstreams, Netflix and Hulu is all I need.

18. what

what Member

There is really no reason to have cable anymore to be honest. However, anybody thinking about cutting the cord and saving money needs to think again.

You could probably actually spend more cutting the cord than you do sticking with cable.

You could do a bare bones setup, which would be: hulu (with Showtime), netflix, Sling (with HBO) and league pass every year, that will run you:

Hulu with no commercials + (showtime) = $20.00
    Sling Tv + hbo = $35.00
    Netflix with dvd option = 22.50
    League Pass = $10.00

1 time cost: fire tv stick - $100.00

that's nearly 90 bucks there and you still don't get everything (nba tv) you'd get with cable. Also, if you live in houston and you want to watch the rockets on a big screen tv, you'll have a MUCH more difficult time doing that AND the quality wont be as good as the hd feed that cable can provide. League pass is good but it ain't cable quality.

Obviously there are benefits to this setup than with cable. First, the streaming on demand without commercials is BIG. Hulu just announced that they have this option so you get to see anything you want and avoid all the commercials. Also, you also get netflix original programming and a library of dvds and streaming movies that is unreal.

Anyway, I've been off of cable for about 5 years now and I would never go back basically because I love being able to stream when I want to stream, and I can't remember the last time I had cable to be honest.

19. what

what Member

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, if you want mlb tv to watch the astros, that will cost you money as well.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Those options are like the high tier of cable, which would cost you $200

Dont need Hulu without conmercials
    Dont need Showtime or possibly HBO
    And why would anyone still need the Netflix DVD option

But if someone does want all those options, thats still a great price