1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Trump's America.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Factually incorrect. It was not an insurrection against the Federal government.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

predictable and pathetic. Let me guess, you think the J6 insurrectionists were just tourists and the FBI and DOJ are over reaching by prosecuting them.

FranchiseBlade, mdrowe00 and ROCKSS like this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bias and Human Error Played Parts in F.B.I.’s Jan. 6 Failure, Documents Suggest
    The F.B.I. appeared to be blinded by a lack of imagination, a narrow focus on “lone wolf” offenders and a misguided belief that the threat from the far left was as great as that from the far right, new congressional documents show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/01/...k&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=US News

excerpt:

WASHINGTON — Days before the end of the 2020 presidential race, a team of F.B.I. analysts tried to game out the worst potential outcomes of a disputed election.

But of all the scenarios they envisioned, the one they never thought of was the one that came to pass: a violent mob mobilizing in support of former President Donald J. Trump.

The team’s work, which has never been reported, is just the latest example of how the Federal Bureau of Investigation was unable to predict — or prevent — the chaos that erupted at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Apparently blinded by a narrow focus on “lone wolf” offenders and a misguided belief that the threat from the far left was as great as that from the far right, the analysis and other new documents suggest, officials at the bureau did not anticipate or adequately prepare for the attack.

The story of the F.B.I.’s missteps in the weeks leading up to Jan. 6 was touched upon, but not fully explored, by the House select committee investigating Jan. 6 and may involve a mix of legal hurdles, institutional biases and simple human error.

The analysis conducted by the F.B.I., an exercise often known as a “red cell,” was included in the select committee’s investigation examining structural failures at the bureau and the Homeland Security Department. The committee did not publish a report on those findings, but The New York Times reviewed a draft document containing preliminary conclusions.

There was no single failure. Agents ignored warning signs flashing in the open on social media and relied on confidential sources who either knew little or failed to sound the alarm. Still, even recently, bureau officials have played down not preventing the worst assault on the Capitol since the War of 1812.

“If everybody knew and all the public knew that they were going to storm Congress, I don’t know why one person didn’t tell us,” Jennifer L. Moore, the top intelligence official at the F.B.I.’s Washington field office at the time, told congressional investigators. “Why didn’t we have one source come forward and tell me that?”

Other agencies, like the Homeland Security Department, the Secret Service, and in particular, the Capitol Police, also had major roles in analyzing intelligence and protecting the Capitol in advance of Jan. 6 — and all failed to secure top officials. But the F.B.I. had a unique part to play given its superior investigative reach and mandate to prevent acts of terror.

Now, the F.B.I. is conducting an internal review of what happened on Jan. 6 to assess what it describes as lessons learned and to “make improvements in communication and in the collection, analysis and sharing of information.” The Justice Department’s inspector general is also scrutinizing the bureau’s preparation and response.

Congressional investigators who examined the F.B.I.’s response never received from the bureau many key documents they requested. The bureau provided about 2,000 documents in total; the Secret Service by comparison offered more than a million electronic communications.
    more at the link

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the FBI was also considering left wring threats as much as right wing it might've been a mistake in the leadup to Jan. 6th but also shows that the FBI isn't biased and weaponized against the Right as many claim.

MadMax, Rashmon and VooDooPope like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good point.

not directly related, but I saw this piece in the Post and thought it was a very interesting argument, hadn't really thought of it this way before

The Clinton administration’s deadly mistake that gave rise to Oklahoma City, Columbine and Jan. 6

https://nypost.com/2023/01/31/the-fbis-bungled-waco-siege-gave-rise-to-modern-militias/

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Was this not final report or TV worthy?

The House Jan. 6 committee concluded that the FBI and other federal security agencies could have prevented a violent mob from overrunning the Capitol had they acted on the large volume of intelligence collected beforehand, the chief investigator told NBC News in an exclusive interview — a judgment the committee left out of its televised hearings and final report.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/fbi-stopped-jan-6-capitol-mob-acted-intelligence-rcna68155

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

probably not TV worthy, but their mistaken bias is important. However, what happened on that day is one of the least important parts of the whole ordeal.

11. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

We knew all along that it is a set up to put away the Trump supporters for good.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I guess you have no appreciation for actual facts m

No Worries, mdrowe00 and Andre0087 like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Conservatives have a hard time with personal responsibility and accountability.

Interesting the FBI is only an issue when it’s working against conservative interests.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Conservatives are "ME FIRST" people - they are selfish in nature and not deep thinkers.

DD

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of course. However the Jan 6 committee ultimately went with a centralized "the buck stops with me" narrative about the Executive Branch head who happens to be the President and ultimately who was responsible. Depending on who you are hearing it from it seems like Liz Cheney was a big part of that and the Democrats wanted to tell a broader story about what was happening with DOD and Chris Miller and the FBI with Chris Wray and especially about Congress.

Won't surprise you that there were agendas, and Liz Cheney I think unfortunately had one. She knows she'll never be a Democrat, but obviously believes she has an opening in the future as a Republican leader or presidential candidate. So she didn't want to burn bridges with the folks she'll be relying on in the future.

At least that's the theory as to why the narrative was a Buck Stops Here on which...IS ACCURATE, but there is a much bigger story of failure or malfeasance (ahhem Christopher Miller) to be told.

rocketsjudoka and Astrodome like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

But but Ben Shapiro can talk really fast.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

for that theory to make sense it would mean that trump had to be in on the set-up...is that what you think?

dmoneybangbang and rocketsjudoka like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That would still mean that Trump supporters did commit the crime.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The other issue with this that even accepting that the DOJ and other LE could've done more to stop the actual event doesn't change that thousands of people still believed that the election was stolen and were so motivated by it that they were willing to at least try to storm the Capitol.

It would be like pointing out that the actions of Colonel Chamberlain and the 20th Maine helped to win Gettysburg for the North. Yes that happened but that doesn't address the causes of why the Civil War was fought.

20. Xopher

Xopher Member

"The safe was open did you expect me not to take the money?!?"

mdrowe00 likes this.