1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Good.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I was asking you. You can't have been agreeing with me, because I didn't make a statement with which to agree. I asked if you thought he should get the death penalty, and you said yes, you would be totally good with that. You also indicated 20 years in prison would be okay. Obviously I don't think he should get the death penalty or 20 years in prison, as I said 75 days was more or less appropriate. You clearly were not agreeing with me.
    It isn't a frame, and I was talking about one specific person (this guy that was sentenced to 75 days) and what he actually did (walked into the Capitol, picked up a podium, jiggled a door handle, made a comment that a bust of Washington would make a good battering ram). This is not what I am claiming he did, this is what the prosecution says he did.
    I never mentioned anything about a DC gulag. That was Julie Kelly in a tweet posted by Commodore. In fact, you are the one complaining about the way the January 6 rioters are being punished, not me. I am the one that said the sentence was more or less correct.
    If thinking people should only be punished commensurate with their actual crimes leads to another Capitol riot, so be it. I don't agree that it will do so.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sociopath judges and prosecutors drove this guy to suicide

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's sad that he chose to commit suicide and it was ultimately caused by his belief in the lie that the election was stolen and that lie was continually perpetuated by Trump.

I can only assume that had Trump rightfully conceded and not riled up his base with his outlandish actions that Mr. Perna would be alive today.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mental illness, following and believing the lies of Donald Trump, acting on those misguided beliefs were all more responsible.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Very sad indication that Trumpism preys on those who are already not in a good place mentally. Easily believing lies that make yourself commit horrible crimes in honor of some clown cult leader. It’s really sad actually.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

a sociopath president drove multiple capitol police officers to suicide.

also, trump bears responsibility for his death in the same way he bears responsibility for ashli babbitts death. his lies are what brought them to the capitol on january 6th.

#4847 jo mama, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too bad Trump didn't commit suicide, he and Putin could hold hands while they slowly slip away to nothingness and the world would rejoice.

DD

Xopher likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm... convicted criminal commits suicide in prison.

Suicides in U.S. jails, prisons rose sharply over two decades, federal data shows
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...r-past-two-decades-new-federal-research-shows

I wonder if mollie and her fellow retrumplicans are concerned about the suicide problems among all prisoners in all jails, or just those convicted of crimes related to the violent riot and attack (incited by and in support of trump) on our county's Capital?

No Worries, FranchiseBlade and Blatz like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, judges and prosecutors did not drive this guy to suicide.

His brain was rotted by propaganda from your tribe and this a real world consequence to feeding lies non stop to those not strong enough to see through them.

Not one person on this forum posts more easy refutable nonsense than you do. This is on you and people like you, who can't stand up for truth.

Xopher and Blatz like this.
  12. Xopher

Xopher Member

He wasn't even in jail yet. He was awaiting sentencing.

13. Xopher

Xopher Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree with you that 75 days is fine for a lone rioter who did not all that much except make himself internet-famous. But, I think it's really imperative to spend these massive resources on a large manhunt to capture many people and charge them with misdemeanors. We find that the severity of punishment actually does not increase its deterrence effect much, but increasing the certainty of punishment does. If all the Jan 6 criminals suffer a minor punishment, and everyone sees that they were caught, tried, convicted, and punished, then participants and future would-be participants would be very wary of trying something like that again. It'll be much more effective than a public beheading of Guy Reffitt on the Capitol steps. So yeah, it's a big effort and by normal metrics these prosecutions probably wouldn't be worth the trouble -- except that they invaded the Capitol building trying to stop an election. So I'm happy to take 75 day convictions at outrageous expense to the taxpayer, just so long as we do as many as we possibly can.

We need bail reform!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps, but this particular guy threatened to kill his kids for turning him in.

adoo likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know. I just think it's funny for Commodore to suddenly notice the privations caused by the justice system when it's a fellow traveler in the dock. The irony is that even if cash bail was abolished, this guy still wouldn't be free. Commodore really knows how to pick 'em!

adoo, FranchiseBlade and bobrek like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Oath Keeper is 1st to plead guilty to seditious conspiracy for Jan. 6 attack
    The seditious conspiracy charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/oat...tious-conspiracy-jan-attack/story?id=83212947

Blatz and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. dobro1229

20. dobro1229

My guess is this report will surely trigger a special counsel appointment. There’s just no way AG Garland can ignore it and it’s probably not wise to oversee it directly. If it’s a historical Congressional will show AG Garland as knowingly looking the other way to presidential crimes. No way he wants that as his lasting legacy.