1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

FIFY

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Matthew Rupert who was sentenced to 9 years for burning down a store in Minneapolis during the George Floyd riots will enjoy the humor of that.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Were you just born a troll bot?

dmoneybangbang and dobro1229 like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Maybe he didn't know babylonbee is a extreme right wing satire site? Or... he didn't care and has so little left to present his arguments that presenting bad satire is all he has left? After all, mojoman has the wingnut cartoon gig already...

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Jacob Chansley, the QAnon Shaman: "My momma always said, you’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on".

He plead guilty to one felony count of blocking the counting of the EC. Prosecutor wanted 51M of jail time. He got 41M. He was facing a max of 20 years if he went to trial.

His colorful lawyer:

"If you're asking my opinion, my opinion is meaningless. I will say that I would probably be far more effective over a beer with former President Trump, even if he didn't have a beer, because I understand he doesn't drink beer, but I'd have a beer," attorney Albert Watkins said.

"And I'd tell him, 'You know what? You've got a few f------ things to do. Including clearing this f------ mess up and taking care of a lot of the jackasses that you f----- up because of January 6.' In the meantime, I might talk to him about some other things that I'd agree with him on. But my opinion doesn't mean s--t," he added.

"A lot of these defendants -- and I'm going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully - but they're all ****ing short-bus people. These are people with brain damage, they're ****ing r****ded, they're on the goddman spectrum. But they're our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers - they're part of our country. These aren't bad peole, they don't have prior criinal history. ****, they were subjected to four-plus year of ******* propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since ****ing Hitler"

IBTL, B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nothing worse than presenting another person's poor attempt at wit as your own.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sounds like a great guy who was simply a tourist...

An accused Capitol rioter threatened his children with violence if they reported him to the police, prosecutors say
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/accused-capitol-rioter-threatened-children-140002358.html

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. edwardc

edwardc Member

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe Biden Should Pardon the QAnon Shaman?
    Don't freak out. Take this journey with me . . .

https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/maybe-biden-should-pardon-the-qanon?r=29f0o

1. Reconciliation
    Tim and Charlie have thrown down about whether the 41-month sentence meted out to the QAnon Shaman—aka “Yellowstone Wolf,” aka Jacob Anthony Angeli Chansley—was unjustly excessive.

Tim is here. Charlie is here.

I want to sidestep this argument and propose something kind of crazy: Maybe President Biden should pardon Chansley.1 And then bring him to the White House and sit down with him, and Mike Pence, and have a beer and try to teach America a thing or two.

Before you start throwing things, hear me out.

Chansley is a weird dude and seems, at least from the outside, like he may have some mental challenges. He was anti-vaxx before it was a political thing—the reason he got kicked out of the Navy in 2007 was because he refused to take the anthrax vaccine. He’s a strange guy. Seems in need of some clinical help. Maybe it’s a chemistry problem.

Prior to the insurrection, though, he had no criminal record. During the insurrection he was not violent. The written message he addressed to Vice President Pence was threatening, but in a pretty oblique way. There’s a difference between writing “It's Only A Matter of Time. Justice Is Coming!” in Sharpie during the middle of a riot and sending someone a letter made up of magazine cutout words saying that you’re coming for their wife and kids.

Chansley cooperated with law enforcement prior to his arrest, pleaded guilty to the charges against him, and seems to be pretty genuinely remorseful. Here’s a report from the sentencing:

Chansley, who was almost unrecognizable as he addressed the court in a plain jail-issued dark green jumpsuit, said he was "a good man who broke the law" and implored Judge Lamberth to "judge a tree by its roots" in considering his sentence. "I am in no way, shape, or form a violent criminal. I am not an insurrectionist. I am certainly not a domestic terrorist," he said. "I hope that you see my heart."

"I was wrong for entering the Capitol. I have no excuse -- no excuse whatsoever," Chansley said. "In retrospect, I'd do everything differently on Jan. 6 … I would try with all my heart and soul to stop people."

"I think the hardest part about this is that I know that I'm to blame," he added. "I hope that you see my remorse is genuine."

Chansley spoke confidently as he addressed the court, making direct eye contact with Judge Lamberth as he referenced the bible and recited quotes from writer Max De Pree and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to argue that he is not the same person who stormed the Capitol.

"I want to grow beyond what it is that I was," Chansley said.

Lamberth, in response, called Chansley’s remarks "the most remarkable I’ve heard in my 34 years ... akin to the types of things Martin Luther King might have said."

So take all of that into account and think about what comes next.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually would be fine with some strategic pardons. But they, their attorneys, and their families would need to commit to an intense road show media driven campaign to follow that has them speaking directly at the MAGA base about how they are being lied to, and used against their own benefit. You become a lifetime dedicated spokesperson for the dangers of domestic extremism and political cults.

AkeemTheDreem86, fchowd0311 and Amiga like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Babylon bee is actually a more trustworthy news source than the crap he usually posts.

Rashmon and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did this man show up to the courtroom with a blunt and a bottle of Hennessy? If that was my lawyer, I’d already know I’m screwed

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That lawyer is a legend.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've listened to lawyers talk about this. Buffalo guy has been in jail for 10 months now, a lot of it in solitary. They broke him down into signing a plea for 41 months, which is ridiculously egregious for what he was charged with.

That said.

#1. I would never go to a protest. I think only losers with nothing better to do would do that.
    #2. If a gate comes down (a bike rack gate) and people start walking in, I'd never think there wouldn't be massive ramifications. Hell, I'd think the same for a County Courthouse.

I truly think this was rigged by the Dems (one of the guys who broke one of the windows was a vocal Antifa leader) but regardless, going into the Capitol was a stupid, stupid thing to do.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They quit b/c they know it will lead to violence.

Tucker Carlson's 'Patriot Purge' Special Leads Two Fox News Contributors to Quit - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Two Fox News Contributors Quit in Protest of Tucker Carlson’s Jan. 6 Special
    Jonah Goldberg and Stephen Hayes, stars of a brand of conservatism that has fallen out of fashion, decide they’ve had enough.

By Ben Smith

Nov. 21, 2021Updated 7:48 p.m. ET
    The trailer for Tucker Carlson’s special about the Jan. 6 mob at the Capitol landed online on Oct. 27, and that night Jonah Goldberg sent a text to his business partner, Stephen Hayes: “I’m tempted just to quit Fox over this.”

“I’m game,” Mr. Hayes replied. “Totally outrageous. It will lead to violence. Not sure how we can stay.”

The full special, “Patriot Purge,” appeared on Fox’s online subscription streaming service days later. And last week, the two men, both paid Fox News contributors, finalized their resignations from the network.

In some ways, their departures should not be surprising: It’s simply part of the new right’s mopping up operation in the corners of conservative institutions that still house pockets of resistance to Donald J. Trump’s control of the Republican Party. Mr. Goldberg, a former National Review writer, and Mr. Hayes, a former Weekly Standard writer, were stars of the pre-Trump conservative movement. They clearly staked out their positions in 2019 when they founded The Dispatch, an online publication that they described as “a place that thoughtful readers can come for conservative, fact-based news and commentary.” It now has nearly 30,000 paying subscribers.

Their departures also mark the end of a lingering hope among some at Fox News — strange as this is for outsiders to understand — that the channel would at some point return to a pre-Trump reality that was also often hyperpartisan, but that kept some distance from Republican officials. Fox’s chairman, Rupert Murdoch, recently deplored Trumpism while acting as though — as Bloomberg’s Tim O’Brien noted — he didn’t run the company.

The reality of Fox and similar institutions is that many of their leaders feel that the tight bond between Mr. Trump and their audiences or constituents leaves them little choice but to go along, whatever they believe. Fox employees often speak of this in terms of “respecting the audience.” And in a polarized age, the greatest opportunities for ratings, money and attention, as politicians and media outlets left and right have demonstrated, are on the extreme edges of American politics.

Mr. Carlson became the network’s most-watched prime-time host by playing explicitly to that fringe, and “Patriot Purge” — through insinuations and imagery — explored an alternate history of Jan. 6 in which the violence was a “false flag” and the consequence has been the persecution of conservatives.

Mr. Goldberg said that he and Mr. Hayes stayed on at Fox News as long they did because of a sense from conversations at Fox that, after Mr. Trump’s defeat, the network would try to recover some of its independence and, as he put it, “right the ship.”

“Patriot Purge” was “a sign that people have made peace with this direction of things, and there is no plan, at least, that anyone made me aware of for a course correction,” Mr. Goldberg said.

“Now, righting the ship is an academic question,” he continued. “The ‘Patriot Purge’ thing meant: OK, we hit the iceberg now, and I can’t do the rationalizations anymore.”

Mr. Hayes, 51, and Mr. Goldberg, 52, spoke to me over video from their homes in the Washington, D.C., area, both clad in athleisure and sporting graying beards. When they joined Fox News in 2009, they were the leading ideological players in the very different conservative movement of the George W. Bush years. Mr. Hayes had championed the invasion of Iraq at The Weekly Standard, while Mr. Goldberg had just published a book called “Liberal Fascism.”

They now find themselves in a group of Americans who think the threat that Mr. Trump poses to America’s democratic system outweighs many other political differences. Mr. Hayes said that he was particularly concerned about Fox lending support to the idea “that there’s a domestic war on terror and it’s coming for half of the country,” he said. “That’s not true.” Particularly disturbing in “Patriot Purge,” he added, “was the imagery of waterboarding and suggestions that half the country is going to be subject to this kind of treatment, that’s the same kind of treatment that the federal government used when it went after Al Qaeda.”

Mr. Carlson “pumped that stuff out into society, and all you need is one person out of every 50,000 people who watch it to believe it’s literally the story about what happened, that it’s true in all of its particulars and all of its insinuations. And that’s truly dangerous in a way that the usual hyperbole that you get on a lot of cable news isn’t.”

Mr. Hayes said he’d been particularly disturbed recently when a man at a conference of the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA asked its leader, “When do we get to use the guns?”

“That’s a scary moment,” Mr. Hayes said. “And I think we’d do well to have people who, at the very least, are not putting stuff out that would encourage that kind of thing.”

For his part, Mr. Goldberg said he has been thinking about William F. Buckley, the late founder of National Review, who saw as part of his mission “imposing seriousness on conservative arguments” and purging some extreme fringe groups, including the John Birch Society, from the right.

“Whether it’s ‘Patriot Purge’ or anti-vax stuff, I don’t want it in my name, and I want to call it out and criticize it,” Mr. Goldberg said. “I don’t want to feel like I am betraying a trust that I had by being a Fox News contributor. And I also don’t want to be accused of not really pulling the punches. And then this was just an untenable tension for me.”

Now, their views have put them outside the current Republican mainstream, or at least outside what mainstream right-wing institutions and politicians are willing to say out loud. But while in recent years both appeared occasionally on the evening show “Special Report” and on “Fox News Sunday,” which the network classifies as news, it’s been years since they were welcome on Fox’s prime time, and Mr. Goldberg clashed bitterly with the prime-time host Sean Hannity in 2016. (Mr. Hayes and Mr. Goldberg emailed their readers Sunday to announce their departure.)

Despite the former contributors’ hopes, Fox’s programming has hewed to Mr. Trump’s line, as have its personnel moves. The network, for instance, fired the veteran political editor who accurately projected Mr. Biden’s victory in the key state of Arizona on election night, and has hired the former Trump White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany.

Mr. Hayes and Mr. Goldberg are the first members of Fox’s payroll to resign over “Patriot Purge,” but others have signaled their unhappiness. Geraldo Rivera, a Fox News correspondent since 2001, captured the difficulty of internal dissent at the network when he voiced cautious criticism of Mr. Carlson and “Patriot Purge” to my colleague Michael Grynbaum. “I worry that — and I’m probably going to get in trouble for this — but I’m wondering how much is done to provoke, rather than illuminate,” he said.

On air, two programs with smaller audiences than Mr. Carlson’s scrambled after his special to rebut the false theories presented in “Patriot Purge.” “Special Report” called in a former C.I.A. officer on Oct. 29 to debunk “false flag” theories. And on “Fox News Sunday,” Chris Wallace turned the same question over to one of Mr. Trump’s few foes in the Republican congressional delegation, Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming.

Mr. Carlson called Mr. Hayes’s and Mr. Goldberg’s resignations “great news” in a telephone interview on Sunday. “Our viewers will be grateful.”

A Fox News spokeswoman, Irena Briganti, declined to comment on the resignations but sent data showing that independents watch Fox.

And yet resignations like Mr. Hayes’s and Mr. Goldberg’s remain rare at Fox. Cable contributor jobs are lucrative — often six figures or more — and open doors to book deals and speaking engagements. Senior journalists and producers at Fox typically receive a salary premium for the opprobrium that comes with working at the company in New York, Washington or Los Angeles. That means there aren’t easy ways to leave without taking a steep pay cut.

“There are lots of people there that I respect and like and consider friends, and they’re making a decision based upon how to provide for their families and deal with their careers and all of that. And I’m not going to second-guess them,” Mr. Goldberg said. “And there are also lots of people over there who think the Fox opinion side today is awesome.”

mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

every single person who attacked our capitol should be spending years in federal prison and the political leaders who incited them should be getting harsher punishment.

and you think the dems got trump to spend months saying the election was fraudulent and that all his supporters should "fight like hell"? dems set up the stop the steal rally to happen at the same time congress was certifying the election? dems told all those trumpers to march down pennsylvannia avenue and that they would march with them? dems told all those trumpers that the time had come to "take names and kick some ass"?

if you really believe that then you have to believe that trump was in on it and that he is actually a dem who was working undercover to set-up all his supporters.

where is your evidence that one of the guys who broke one window was a vocal antifa leader? and even if its true, does that mean that the hundreds of other insurrectionists marching with trump flags and chanting "hang mike pence" and "nancy where are you?" were also dems and antifa?

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Times like these you need to back away and look at yourself. You aren't thinking rationally.

dachuda86 likes this.
  19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i could say the same of you based on the post i was quoting where you said that you truly think dems rigged the january 6th insurrection.

VooDooPope likes this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Mmhmm. There was an Antifa Leader there with a MAGA hat on provoking ****. That's a fact.

dachuda86 likes this.