1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Got it. His identity is none of the public's business. RIP Ashli

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Can you read at all?...seriously I'm having a hard time understanding the gross amount of willful ignorance with this one.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with your stance on this and my reply was not directed at you. This incident should be transparent like all other police shootings.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im guessing that his name isnt being released because he is a federal officer. also, because doing so would clearly put his life at risk as well as his family. we know that trump supporters were there to violently overthrow OUR government and harm OUR elected officials. its pretty certain that if they released the name of the officer who killed that terrorist that trumpers would come after him or his family.

do you think we should release the names of soldiers who kill terrorists during war-time? let the other terrorists know who they are so they can come after him or his family? whats the difference here? these were terrorists attacking OUR nations capitol.

do you support an investigation into january 6th insurrection? too bad trumpublicans blocked it or perhaps we might be able to get that full and transparent investigation you are calling for.

"shooting of an unarmed woman" - its true that she was technically "unarmed", but she was actively involved in an attempt to overthrow OUR government and at the time she was shot was trying to break a barrier in order to attack and possibly murder sitting members of congress. i would call it the shooting of a terrorist who was attacking OUR capitol with the intent of overthrowing OUR government and attacking and possibly murdering sitting members of congress and the vice president. breonna taylor was an unarmed, innocent woman shot by local cops who had entered the wrong house...thats a very different scenario.

ashli babbit was a terrorist and a traitor actively trying to overthrow our government. breonna taylor was an innocent woman asleep in her bed in her home.

jiggyfly, superfob, Rashmon and 2 others like this.
  5. jo mama

are cops names always released after a shooting? i dont know if thats the case, but even if it is i think this scenario is different.

not only was this a federal officer, but there was a political agenda involved with january 6th, which makes it different than your run-of-the-mill police shooting. you cant compare ashli babbit to brionna taylor or any other police shooting. these were violent domestic terrorists so the need to protect the identity of the cop is greater than your standard police shooting, where you dont have the expectation that terrorists are going to come after them...in the ashli babbit case i think its a given that if the cops identity was released that you would have trump supporters coming after him.

its a federal officer who was defending federal property and elected officials against an insurrection...a violent mob of terrorists. again, very different than most police shootings.

jiggyfly, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm sympathetic to people criticizing the secrecy of the security officer's name. When Reagan was shot, did they release the names of the officers who tackled Hinkley and got on top of Reagan to protect him? I honestly don't know. It may not be SOP to release secret service (and similar) names when protecting top government officials.

But anyway, I think that would rank like 37th on a list of Jan. 6 concerns. It's a shiny object to avoid looking at all the more difficult things.

Some of the more important concerns would be: what factors made Ashli act like a crazed zombie trying to crawl through a window to get at members of Congress, despite warnings? The videos of her pre-riot rants are super disturbing.

I'd like the 600,000 dead of COVID in this country to RIP before Ashli, but then, yes, I hope her soul has found some peace, because some people really preyed on her brain while she was alive. Must have been horrible for her family, in her last months on earth and now as well.

jiggyfly, Nook, superfob and 7 others like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well said.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Amazing...

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think the death during this event is a high priority. I get you arent a fan but I am sure covid took out some worse people than a woman who fought 2 wars for us although I do agree she went overboard that day.

Simply, I think an event like this is easily avoidable with proper precautions and locks on doors. I know I couldn't access the astrodomain right now even with a mob of 5k people much less if they knew we were coming. These people were wrong but I think they have learned their lesson.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It sounds like you actually agree with me that the information should be released.
    What does that have to do with having a transparent investigation
    Would this same logic not apply to local police?
    Soldiers fighting wars in foreign territories do not face the same restrictions.
    There is already an investigation underway by the FBI, said to be the largest ever. Each person involved who is identified has their name publicly released and we hear about bail status and other information. So we already have an investigative agency doing the investigation, what need is there for another political investigation of the same event (remember, they already did this with the impeachment).
    You know her intentions were to attack and possibly murder sitting members of Congress? Do you have access to secret information about her?
    Terrorism definitionally requires violent action. What violent action did Ashli Babbitt engage in?
    It wasn't the wrong house, they had a warrant to search that house and Breonna Taylor herself. Her boyfriend shot at the officers and they returned fire. This is based on the statement of her boyfriend himself.
    She was neither asleep nor in bed when shot, she was hit by return fire when her boyfriend shot a police officer.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I do agree with you, the information should be available but the Capitol police are a federal agency and I'm guessing they have a different set of rules they're playing by.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Breaking though glass behind a mob that trampled officers is considered a violent action.

If this was a black person doing this same exact action towards court house because of a not guilty verdict over a cop who shot an unarmed black kid, you would call it a violent act. I would also.

#3292 fchowd0311, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    jo mama likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What lesson have they learned? How did they learn it? What guarantee is there that they won't forget their lesson?

A couple of interviews I have read from oath keepers shows they clearly haven't learned their lesson.

Nook, mdrowe00 and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Her status as a veteran does not absolve her of storming the Capitol as part of an insurrection that sought to disrupt Constitutional proceedings. One could argue that her participation in the mob went against her sworn oaths, no matter what the disinformation she consumed convinced her of because, in that moment, she was an enemy of the US Constitution.

I think most people involved, who have not rightfully gone to prison yet, have learned that one of our two political parties has their back and saw nothing wrong with their actions that day. The lesson they've learned is not the one that they should've learned.

#3294 mtbrays, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    superfob, Rashmon, mdrowe00 and 3 others like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump learned his lesson that he can stoke the flames that cause insurrection, interfere with election officials in certifying the vote etc and not face any criminal repurcussions and make money off of it.

16. jo mama

whatever you say susan collins!

i dont think they learned their lesson at all...i see lots of them doubling down and i see lots of republican politicians giving aid and comfort to them and some even denying that they actually did what they did.

this is why all those traitors must be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

mdrowe00 and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ashli was someone who served the nation in two wars. Good for her. She deserves whatever rewards she could get for her service. Americans need people to volunteer and serve.

She later became a person who believed in QAnon conspiracy theories, sought to overturn a fair and free election in order to prop up a would be dictator. She broke the law and espoused the idea that they would reclaim the nation on January 6th. She broke into federal grounds with people chanting threats to kill the Vice President of the United States. She may or may not have joined in those threats. She was warned to not go through the barricade. She encouraged others to go through as she breached the doors through a glass window to advance on national security.

She deserves derision for that sentence and her shooting was justifiable.

Both of these scenarios about her are true. Like most of us, she isn't only a good angel or an evil demon. She made choices and those choices had consequences both good and bad.

As far as them learning their lesson, I haven't seen very much public projections of them making amends. Their social media were full of threats and public statements about what they were going to do and what they believed about Trump, Pence, and others. But they don't seem as enthusiastic to show they have learned their lesson if indeed they've learned anything.

They broke the law, and tried to overturn the election. They should be held accountable. If they understand the wrong of their actions they will accept that accountability.

mdrowe00, AkeemTheDreem86 and jo mama like this.
  18. jo mama

obviously not. federal officer is different than local police and a federal officer trying to stop a violent attempt to overthrow our government is different than a local police shooting.

and federal officers protecting our government against violent domestic terrorists should have greater protection against violent terrorists with a political agenda who might want to come after them or their families.

i know that she was part of a group of violent domestic terrorists who were assaulting police officers (blue lives matter, right trumpers?) chanting "hang mike pence" and "we're coming for you nancy". had invaded OUR capitol building along with a bunch of other terrorists with zip ties and dressed up in combat gear. i know that she attempted to go through a barrier where sitting members of congress were on the other side. i know she was part of a group who had been assaulting police officers (blue lives matter, right trumpers?) and had been screaming about arresting and murdering politicians.

the intentions of the group she was with are pretty clear.

what do you think her intentions were when she crawled through that window?

youre joking, right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jiggyfly, superfob, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  19. jo mama

im genuinely curious to know what our resident terrorist sympathizers think that federal cop should have done when ashli babbit crawled through that broken window?

should he have just let her through? then when more of the terrorists came through should he have just let them in as well? then when they got to sitting members of congress should the federal officer have just let them get at them? they were straight up calling for murdering the vice president and announcing that they were targeting specific members of congress...should the officer have stood down and let them have their way with them?

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Was babbit armed? I think it is a reach to conclude that she was intending to murder anyone. No one was murdered that day.