1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Americans Are Dangerously Divided on the Insurrection
    Too many Republicans support it, and too many Americans don’t want to investigate or prosecute it.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics...rrection-investigation-voter-fraud-polls.html

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

4. NewRoxFan

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m sorry Deb but you’re gonna be waiting a long long time for that to happen

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Though the bipartisan vote is a hopeful sign, an interesting wrinkle is that he is not at all apologetic.
    I think most of us (all of us?) hope this capitol-storming stuff will go away, but now that the illness is here, why would it just go away? Are susceptible people going to stop consuming whacko content for some reason, or come to accept the last election, etc? I think we have to be honest about this crap, though I don't exactly know what to do about it.

#3268 B-Bob, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

becuase he has nothing to do with it?

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Who shot Ashli Babbitt?

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

"The investigation revealed no evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer willfully committed a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 242. Specifically, the investigation revealed no evidence to establish that, at the time the officer fired a single shot at Ms. Babbitt, the officer did not reasonably believe that it was necessary to do so in self-defense or in defense of the Members of Congress and others evacuating the House Chamber. Acknowledging the tragic loss of life and offering condolences to Ms. Babbitt’s family, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and U.S. Department of Justice have therefore closed the investigation into this matter."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/department-justice-closes-investigation-death-ashli-babbitt

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep when a group of people shouting to hang the VP has one of its members force their way through multiple barricades and break into a room where officers have visible presence and weapons drawn, it is reasonable to presume they have deadly intentions and are a threat to the life of officers and members of congress.

jiggyfly, Nook, Amiga and 3 others like this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Q

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

a law enforcement officer who was doing his job to protect members of congress as well as himself and his fellow officers against a mob of trump supporters who were trying to overthrow OUR government and even murder sitting members of congress and the vice president. they had already violently attacked cops (blue lives matter, right trumpers?) so he had reason to fear for his life as well as the lives of OUR elected officials.

why are the trumpers so desperate to have his name released? so some other traitor can try to come after him or his family?

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He just needs to keep steady on his current diet of KFC/McDonalds and let nature take its course.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Maybe a bipartisan commission could’ve have unearthed more information? Who would be against such a thing? I know her family would probably back something like that. I guess we’ll never know...

jiggyfly, Nook and rocketsjudoka like this.
  17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That doesn't seem to stop the release of names of other officers involved in officer involved shootings, even though multiple officers have been threatened and/or assaulted. Just recently, Officer Joseph Mensah in Wisconson was attacked and someone fired a shotgun into his home. The names of the officers who shot Breonna Taylor are public, even though they were never charged and only fired after one of them was actually shot. Darren Wilson's name was made public and he received death threats that have resulted in an arrest. Why are they not protected in the same manner?

It isn't about releasing a name, though that is part of it. It is about a full and transparent investigation into the shooting of an unarmed woman who was not at the time her killing actively attacking anyone. Why in this one special case is the investigation secretly done behind closed doors and only the conclusion released to the public. What would the reaction be if that was how the Michael Brown killing was investigated? Or Philando Castille, or Eric Garner, etc.

Astrodome likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even though I didn't feel that the LEO who shot Ashli Babbit was going to be charged with a crime I agree with SM that that might be information that the public should know and agree that we've seen the names of other LEO released much earlier. Derek Chauvin's name was released pretty quickly and Kimberley Potter's name was released within hours of shooting Duante Wright.

Besides this case the LEO who shot Winston Smith in Minneapolis two weeks ago and which there are still ongoing protests name hasn't been released either. In both that case and this case it appears to be Federal officers who were the shooters so it seems that federal standards are different.

Astrodome likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

Oh, I don't know... perhaps because it involved an armed insurrection attacking the very heart of our government, that endangered the lives of elected officials including the Vice President of the United States? I don't know... just spitballin'

Colt45, jo mama and mikol13 like this.
  20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Isn't that how the police secretly investigate themselves without any real outside oversight? You can pick and choose with the best of them, I'll give you that but the truth is they are public servants and they're information should also be public just like every other citizen. If a regular citizen is even suspected of a crime even BEFORE CHARGES his or her face and info is blasted on the local news as a person of interest.