1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's a huge burden.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who are these women? Daughters of the Confederacy? Why would they choose a profile sex trafficer man like Matt Gaetz to speak? I like this response.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is being derailed into what are @StupidMoniker's motivations. I apologize for my part of the derail. I have no problem with having a debate with him even if he is playing devil's advocate.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I am actually a genderless reptilian with multiple heads that each regenerate into two if severed, though in my everyday walking around as a human form I am male.

Edit:The rest of your conversation with B-Bob over my motivations is a bit overblown. I am a guy that sometimes likes to engage in discussions I find interesting with people who are willing to discuss them with me. I have no power to change anything outside of my jurisdiction, and little enough within. My overall thoughts on the January 6 riots were that they were not radically different that the continuous BLM/Antifa/Justice for George Floyd/CHOP/CHAZ/Red House/whatever riots that had occurred in the year or so preceding the January 6 riot. The level of fighting with police seemed the same or less. The mostly harmless crowds the same. Each had more dangerous elements mixed in that elevated things. Each had people die, some from law enforcement but more among the participants. Each was politicized/demonized by the opposing side in a way that was probably not entirely fair to the participants. Having said that, B-Bob's opinion of my opinion is as valid as anyone's opinion about anything.

As to the shooting of Ashley Babbitt, I generally look at all of the high profile shooting cases that get national attention: Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Philando Castille, Botham Jean, Michael Slager, Ahmed Arbury and now Ashley Babbitt. I am usually pretty accurate in determining what the outcome will be. I was wrong on Botham Jean and it is too early to tell on Arbury and Babbitt.

#2884 StupidMoniker, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Astrodome and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i do. and i think the cops would have been justified in shooting every single one of those treasonous trump supporters who tried to overthrow our government.

trump ofted cited andrew jackson as his favorite president and even had his portrait in the oval office. knowing what we know about jackson, what do you think he would have done to them? i guarantee you he would have personally hung every single one of those traitors on the capitol steps as well as those who incited them (trump, trump jr and ghoulianni).

DaDakota and VooDooPope like this.
  7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

no need to suggest it...its all on video.

there were definitely members of congress who aligned themselves and gave aid and comfort to the MAGA terrorists. some who possibly gave tours of the capitol to them the day before the insurrection. some who might have even provided intel to the MAGA terrorists about the location of other members offices or location.

[​IMG]

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

hydra! :eek: I remember that not-stupid moniker now. Respek

9. NewRoxFan

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, that's inconvenient for the narrative.

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/04/...-of-material-and-tactics-before-capitol-riot/

excerpt:

A new report from Capitol Police Inspector General Michael Bolton has sent congressional leaders scrambling after finding that Capitol police were told that they could not use critical riot materials and tactics in preparation for the Jan. 6th protests. The finding challenges the narrative put forward in the second impeachment of former President Donald Trump. It also raises questions of whether congressional leaders (who repeatedly condemned Trump for the death and injuries of officers) share responsibility for the loss of control of Congress to the rioters.

The report, “Review of the Events Surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021, Takeover of the U.S. Capitol,” raises additional questions over the responsibility of figures in Congress for the lack of sufficient forces and materials to deal with the protest. Previously, it was disclosed that offers of National Guard support were not accepted prior to the protests. The D.C. government under Mayor Muriel Bowser used only a small number of guardsmen in traffic positions.

The report magnifies suspicions over why House leadership refused to hold hearings with key witnesses before the second Trump impeachment. It also raises whether, after the controversial clearing of Lafayette Park in the prior summer, leaders in Congress hamstrung their own security force.

Ultimately, over 140 law enforcement officers were injured during the riot, and Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick later died. Two other officers later died by suicide.

Bolton and his staff reportedly found in its 104-page report that, three days before the riot, officials were warned in an intelligence assessment that “Congress itself is the target” in the planned protests. Congress was further warned that “Stop the Steal’s propensity to attract white supremacists, militia members, and others who actively promote violence may lead to a significantly dangerous situation for law enforcement and the general public alike.”

That would seem more than sufficient reason to call for National Guard support and assemble the full force and resources available to the Capitol Police. According to the Inspector General, that is not what happened. Instead, the plan stated that there were “no specific known threats related to the joint session of Congress.” More importantly, the Capitol Police’s Civil Disturbance Unit was ordered by supervisors not to deploy the department’s highest level resources and tactics in addressing any problems. This including the use of “heavier, less-lethal weapons,” including stun grenades. The report states categorically that they “were not used that day because of orders from leadership.” Instead, 35-year-old Ashli Babbitt was fatally shot by a Capitol police officer inside the Capitol despite being unarmed and standing in a hallway.

That explains a lot. On the day of the riot, many of us familiar with the Capitol expressed disbelief over the lack of serious perimeter protections and the relative ease of protesters in breaching the Capitol.
    more at the link

11. B-Bob

I don’t get Turley’s spin here. The report sounds consistent with the prevailing objective reports of what we knew: the capitol was underprepared despite detailed intelligence showing “Stop the Steal (sic)” to be dangerous and intent on breaching the Capitol.

I’ve seen him do this a lot: new report shows sky is blue but not the exact shade liberals said it was so you can’t believe their narrative ever again. :confused:

Rashmon, arkoe, jiggyfly and 5 others like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Confirmation bias.. Something else we see a lot.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

don't know about Turley's spin, but it seems to me his take is basically same as what has been reported in the legacy media, e.g.,

Capitol Police Told to Hold Back on Riot Response on Jan. 6, Report Finds
    Despite being tipped that “Congress itself is the target” on Jan. 6, Capitol Police were ordered not to use their most powerful crowd-control weapons, according to a scathing new watchdog report.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/capitol-police-riot-report.html

excerpt

WASHINGTON — The Capitol Police had clearer advance warnings about the Jan. 6 attack than were previously known, including the potential for violence in which “Congress itself is the target.” But officers were instructed by their leaders not to use their most aggressive tactics to hold off the mob, according to a scathing new report by the agency’s internal investigator.

In a 104-page document, the inspector general, Michael A. Bolton, criticized the way the Capitol Police prepared for and responded to the mob violence on Jan. 6. The report was reviewed by The New York Times and will be the subject of a Capitol Hill hearing on Thursday.

Mr. Bolton found that the agency’s leaders failed to adequately prepare despite explicit warnings that pro-Trump extremists posed a threat to law enforcement and civilians and that the police used defective protective equipment. He also found that the leaders ordered their Civil Disturbance Unit to refrain from using its most powerful crowd-control tools — like stun grenades — to put down the onslaught.

The report offers the most devastating account to date of the lapses and miscalculations around the most violent attack on the Capitol in two centuries.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which narrative is this inconvenient for and why?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. B-Bob

well, it could be mine too, LOL. I’m looking forward to Frontline’s new piece on Jan. 6. They often have good reporting and digging.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

additional reporting in the Washington Post

"Capitol Police inspector general to tell Congress of sweeping failures ahead of Jan. 6 riot":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...92994e-9d39-11eb-b7a8-014b14aeb9e4_story.html

excerpt:

The New York Times, citing a complete copy of Bolton’s most recent report, disclosed this week that Capitol Police officers were instructed not to use nonlethal stun grenades to disperse the rioters.

Bolton’s findings and forthcoming testimony follow a draft report from Russel Honoré, a retired three-star general whose review found the Capitol Police were “understaffed, insufficiently equipped, and inadequately trained,” and testimony from former Capitol Police chief Steven A. Sund and acting chief Yogananda D. Pittman, who addressed communication failures and the agency’s inability to secure reinforcements on the day of the riot.

Taken together, the findings paint a damning picture of a police force that fumbled its core mission and failed to protect the Capitol because of organizational errors and a lack of vigilance.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can take this one.

The narrative = the thing that happened =:

the white supremacist party, its syphilitic, incoherent avatar, the mypillow guy, a bunch of Senators and repreresentives and their army of internet crazies invaded the US Capitol in a violent rampage, smeared **** on the walls, and tried to overthrow the government as part of a deliberate plan of capturing and killing our elected representatives and to reinstall the previous regime

is inconvenient for people who align themselves with the thing that happened and its perpetrators, because it's kind of a bad look, even for an anonymous basketball message board,

@Os Trigonum @StupidMoniker etc.

18. NewRoxFan

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The propaganda and BS never ends at those GOP conferences. Their key speakers are a bunch of crazies.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The lady put herself in an unfortunate position. She deserved to be arrested for sure.