1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. stab

stab Member

As long as it isn’t Suggs, I’m good.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He was always above league average firing efficiency when adjusted for era. It's not like he was AI. AI was sa chucker. Kobe also for a period was a genuine elite defender before his reputation handed him some all defensive team votes.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member

The Rockets have 2 other 1st rounders. My thought is to take Mobley. Then package the other two picks to move up and find a good guard or small forward. If the Rockets only had the 2nd pick I may think differently, but I would rather have Mobley and find someone else who is 90% of Green. I'm not sure who that is though.

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’ll be excited to get any of the three. All are so young.

Green: how is he different than KPJ and Kenyon Martin Jr.

Mobley: one of those guys that seems to be an athletic freak. Doesn’t move like most 7 footers. Is he too similar to what we already have with Wood.

Suggs: he’s a floor general. The Rockets need a floor general.

The Rockets have their own pick next year. It very well could be another tank season, so we could have another good pick. Of the three types of players available this year, which one would be unlikely to be available next year? An elite floor general. A high scoring wing. A supremely gifted big man.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Eh I'd rather get a good forward later in the draft as something like a competent lob threat is a dime in dozen where you can find someone like a Capella late in the first round. It's a guards league and I'd rather infest5 a high draft pick on a guard.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green is a significantly better shooter than those two and is nowhere near the passer KPJ is.

KPJ plays more like a PG, Green is a more traditional SG.

HTXSportsAddict and Phillyrocket like this.
  7. Xopher

Xopher Member

I'm not any type of basketball guru, but isn't it easier to find a 90% of Green guard than it is to find someone who may be an elite big man?

8. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The article below is getting me hyped. I definitely think the choice is between Green and Mobley. But I’m a heavy lean towards Green. He has great explosiveness. Very smooth. I like how everyone describes his athleticism as “effortless”. He’s got great body control in the paint. I think his step back game and shot faking game are super advanced for his age. His mental makeup is excellent.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...-jalen-green-rest-top-five-historically-great

ilias and J.R. like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Decision paralysis indeed. In our case, I'm glad we have that choice, as opposed to go to the guy left over.

HTXSportsAddict and macho GRANDE like this.
  10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

An what's even more difficult to do is to find the best scorer in the draft who's also extremely efficient If Green were a volume shooter then your point would be valid but he's not. He scores and his efficiency is similar to Harden. Those kind of guys don't come along that often.

Deuce, Phillyrocket and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Stone keeps the pick and selects Green I wouldn't be mad. He's not only one of the best players available but his strengths complement KPJ's strengths as well. We could shift our focus on bigs at the end of the draft with 23 or 24 if needed.

12. fchowd0311

I think this is the way. I'm all against trading this pick for an already established player. I want a young core that grows together.

The only teams that should trade a high lottery pick are teams that are currently contending and need that solid 2nd or third option for a championship run now. The Rockets are no were near that.

If there is a promising big around the 8-15 range I'm willing to trade Wood and one or two of those 23 and 24th picks to get something like the 10th pick also.

#112 fchowd0311, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  13. AnHero

AnHero Member

My gut says Suggs will end up being the best of the 3. Dude was playing Football and only recently focused on Hoops.

Green just seems like he will end up being Jamal Crawford and a 6th man type scorer.

14. aelliott

It will be interesting and very important to see what they do with the two "other" first round picks.

If they use the picks then hitting on one or both would greatly escalate the rebuild.

Eventually, they are going to want to have some variance in the age of the roster so that the entire team isn't becoming free agents over a 2 year period. Because of that I could also see them trading one or both of the other 1st round picks. Hopefully, they wait until later to bring in veterans. Go ahead and be bad next year and get another high lottery pick along with the Washington pick ( we have their pick next year, right?).

15. fchowd0311

Green is infinitely more physically gifted than young Crawford from both a explosiveness and strength perspective.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they'll have to use at least one of them to dump garbage like Wall or Gordon.

17. aelliott

Why Crawford? Green came right out of HS and put up high efficiency numbers playing against pros. He's way more efficient than Crawford ever was.

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed on both points. I would even go further and regurgitate what I posted last night: Stone should call David Griffin and offer the 2,23 and 24 to New Orleans for Zion and see if he bites. Injuries aside, Zion is the perfect (young, skilled, and supposedly (his family) hates his current team) trade candidate. That being said, it's a pipe dream but using a combination of Wood, 23, and 24 picks to move up for another player shouldn't be out of the question.

19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

These threads will have to be bumped for years to come.

houston19519 and J.R. like this.
  20. aelliott

You may be right. It will be interesting to see what they do with Wall. They really need to turn the team over to Porter to see if he's a viable long term option at PG. I can't see Wall being ok with coming off the bench in a reduced role. I just hate to waste a pick to get rid of him.

I think that there will be options for trading Gordon without having to include a 1st.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.