1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed — I still bet on upside with the #2 overall pick.

Unless he is a total head case, I like Mobley’s floor as a defensive playmaker who is a lob threat who can also pass. The best case comp I see for him is Kevin Garnett — I just don’t know that he has Garnett’s intensity, but the physical attributes, passing, mid range game, and defensive instincts are all there (and rookie KG was every bit as skinny, maybe even more so).

Green has all the makings of an elite scorer. While it’s a guard dominated league, in my view, it’s all about the lead guard vs the off ball scorer types. Steph Curry, Bradley Beal, and Zach Lavine all averaged 25+ this year on great efficiency — where did it get them? You can blame the supporting casts, but all of them had some pieces around them.

Green is an intriguing fit next to Porter as the lead guard, but I’d probably rather bet on Mobley being a unicorn type. It’s not even worth having a discussion on if he and Wood are a fit — it doesn’t matter.

Deuce and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Drafts where a guard went #1 and a big went #2:

2020: Anthony Edwards; James Wiseman
    2011: Kyrie Irving; Derrick Williams
    2008: Derrick Rose; Michael Beasley
    1996: Allen Iverson; Marcus Camby

Historically it hasn't been good.

4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

This guy is a hooper, he's been around pro's and big events.

Green turned 19 in Feb.

He made his national team debut for the United States at the 2017 FIBA Under-16 Americas Championship in Formosa, Argentina. In five games, he averaged 9.8 points, two rebounds and one steal per game, helping his team win the gold medal.[31] He was named MVP of the 2018 FIBA Under-17 Basketball World Cup in Argentina after averaging a team-high 15.7 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game and winning the gold medal.[32] Green won another gold medal with the United States at the 2019 FIBA Under-19 Basketball World Cup in Heraklion, Greece. As the youngest member of his team, he averaged 10.1 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game.

Verbal Christ and saleem like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh when it comes to AD and Lebron, I think it's clear who needs who more when you look at their careers independently. Lebron has led teams to the finals as the only star level guy on his team. AD would never be able to do that and never has been even close to doing that. AD by himself leads barely playoff teams that exit the first round

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I just want to use this space to say I have no idea what I want to do with the pick. Nothing is a sure thing, and I see risks all the way around. Just pumped the Rockets have this opportunity after a disappointing season.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

To be fair, the 2nd pick in general has been considered a cursed pick. If you remove Durant, Aldridge and Oladipo (who was both a late bloomer, and did not play at an elite level for very long), you do not have a single all-NBA guy in the last 20 years (and James Wiseman is not looking good at all as well). It's actually insane if you compare it to the 3rd pick, which has the likes of Harden, Doncic, Embiid, Beal, Brown and Tatum.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In both cases, you are depending on the player you draft to develop skills.

To me, Green has the higher upside and is less of a risk. I haven't seen a single reputable NBA expert who doesnt consider Green to be the best scorer in the draft. Everyone generally projects him to be a 20 pt/game guy. The question is can he continue to develop his ball handling and passing? If he can, then he can be much more than just a 20pt s game guy.

IMO, Mobley would have to learn much more than Green. The current game is so skill based and right now he just doesnt have that much of an offensive game.

Of course, that's just my opinion and the Rockets could care less about it. It will be interesting to see which direction they go. I think the Rockets feelings about the long term future of Wood and Porter her in Houston will dictate th he direction that they go.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

100% and Shaq led those early teams, not Kobe.

10. fchowd0311

I mean Kobe was 21 when he won his first ring with Shaq. Of course Shaq is going to be the leader as he was in his prime then. Kobe became far more important especially in the playoffs in their second and third run. He was their go to guy in close games in the 4th.

Williamson likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea I've posted many times before about what you said :) so i'm aware.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And Pau was the best player on the other championship teams.

We talk about Kobe like we talk about Allen Iverson if it wasn't for Pau and Shaq.

While you need both for success, it's a lot easier to find flashy volume shooting guards than it is to find truly dominant big men....especially in this era where big men have to be freakishly athletic with the ability to switch onto guards and forwards without becoming a liability.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am aware of all of that. Not sure if you're trying to disagree with me or clarifying my position. If the ladder, thanks!

14. fchowd0311

That's why Pau won rings without Kobe.

Come on dude. Kobe was easily the best player receiving the most attention by opposing defenses during their finals run.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Oh it wasn't really a comp more of the level of point guard I could see him being. The borderline Allstar (well I guess Conley made it eventually lol) but not all NBA type. He's also a much better shooter than Conley but overall that's what I can see as his potential place in the league.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is it a guard's league or is it a forward's league?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pau was stuck on terrible Grizzlies teams for the first part of his prime and he was over the hill after he left the Lakers.

Put Kobe on Charlotte for his whole career and he probably never sniffs the finals. Before guys like Westbrook and Giannis came along, Kobe was the most overrated player in NBA history.

He was just a chucker who was almost always on the most stacked team in the league during a time we know for a fact the league was rigging games in favor of that stacked team.

I'm not saying he wasn't a very good player, but some crazy people try to throw him in the GOAT conversation which is just hilarious.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm not a fan of drafting bigs with top picks unless it's blatantly obvious like Anthony Davis, Towns, or Zion. So for me, it's between Suggs and Green. We see the success these shooting guards with high release smooth jump shots that can play off the ball are having in the playoffs. Jamal Murray and Herro last year, Booker and Huerter this year. I like Suggs winning attitude and demeanor. Green looks pretty polished as a scorer already and is going to get better but may be redundant with KPJ. We have our future backcourt set with either of these guys regardless.

macho GRANDE and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

It's a "primary ball handler's" league. From Trae Young to Lebron. So size is irrelevant. It's more about who dominated the ball and primary ball handler's dominate the ball.

Dubious likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Suggs I think would be more redundant than Green as Suggs is a playmaker while Green is a scorer. KPJ could be the primary playmaker and Green could be the go to scorer.

ilias and Verbal Christ like this.