1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of Daryl Morey Trades & Drafts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Pretty good assessment however with regards to the superstars he didn't get, in my humble opinion, we got very lucky. We had given up way too much had we landed Stoudemire, Carmelo or Nene.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Darth Morey...in the Jedi hall of Fame
    [​IMG]

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . Basically Morey is faultless . . because we just need to tank?

Rocket River

4. denver-rox-fan

Great post. I am still solidly a Morey supporter, but seeing all those big trade wins listed in one post made me realize how well the guy has done with some pretty terrible luck thrown in. Just ONE of those big deals going through likely has the Rockets as serious contenders in the West.

Just gotta be patient... And enjoy the run this year.

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Morey is so good that even with our 2 best players and both our centers injured we were able to get within one game of WCF.

That's all that needs to be said.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I would say Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks and Rick Adelman contributed a little somethin' to that.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

And who got all those guys for pennies on the dollar?

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's like saying a star on a "C" team should get a "C" grade.

He lost two stars and the team has managed not to sink below .500, despite player and coach turnover. Look at the last 20 years in the NBA, the majority of NBA teams fall below .500 for years, some as many as 6-8. I know we're frustrated, but Houston's actually been one of the better franchises in those 20 years. Only 3 losing seasons. Actually, it's almost 30 years with only 3 losing seasons. As fans, we shouldn't ignore that just because we want a ring.

9. ThaShark316_28

That's not accurate...can't be. I remember it being Scola/Shane for STAT...

It was DONE.

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It's funny to hear tank talk right now, because if the fabled tanking came this is pretty much what our team would look like, minus Scola and Camby. So basically, this team would still contend for an eighth seed just with a starting line-up of Dragic, Lee, Parson, Patterson and Dalembert. We would still be going into next season ~27 million under the cap fielding this team. I think he still has a lot to learn as far as recruiting and stroking egos, but as a talent evaluator he is the best in the NBA.

11. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Ahh...I hark back to the good ol days of CD running the club. Man that was just a painful thought. We are not going to get a better GM running this club and how painful it is to have a horrible GM ...ehhemm CD...gets easily forgotten. Morey started off with no mid round picks and breaking down stars and has put together a roster that needs 1 star, not 2 to be a contender. People think you have to have 2 stars to win, but I dont see that. If you have a team like the Rockets, who play harder than the other team almost every night, and you add a star, I think you are a legit contender.

It is hard to do a whole lot with these mid round picks these last years b/c talent has gone very short in the drafts, but I'm hoping DMo turns out to be that type of early round talent and maybe we can figure out a way to trade up in the draft this year to draft another star potential guy.

Morey has done a great job and the only stars that were obtainable given our roster have been players I haven't really been excited about ...Amare and Melo.

1 person likes this.
  12. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I wonder how much Daryl Morey is worth to one of these franchises. Is he tradeable for a centerpiece player? If Morey could make a Miami/OKC/NY that formidable for years to come, what is that worth on the open market? How would that translate to a trade for an all-star? Just wondering. I wouldn't trade D-Mo(rey) for anything because we could potentially have this lineup (assuming health):

Lowry/Dragic
    Martin/Lee
    Parsons/Bud/Morris
    Scola/Patterson/Motijunas
    Yao/Dalembert/Camby

But I don't want to live in the past either.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

I already did this before :p

Since 2006-2007

Traded:
    ->Rudy Gay & Stromile Swift to Memphis for Shane Battier
    ->2008 2nd round draft pick (Marty Leunen) to the New Orleans for Kirk Snyder & a 2008 2nd round draft pick (Sasha Kaun).
    ->Scott Padgett to Memphis for Jake Tsakalidis
    ->Juwan Howard to Minnesota for Mike James & Justin Reed
    ->Cash to Orlando for 2007 2nd round pick(Brad Newley)
    ->Cash & 2008 2nd round pick(Sasha Kaun) to Seattle for Carl Landry
    ->Vassilis Spanoulis & a 2009 2nd round draft pick(Nando DeColo) to the San Antonio Spurs for Jackie Butler & Luis Scola.
    ->Kirk Snyder & a 2010 2nd round draft pick(Paulao Prestes) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Gerald Green.
    ->Mike James & Bonzi Wells to the New Orleans Hornets & Malick Badiane to the Memphis Grizzlies for Sergei Lishouk(from MEM), Bobby Jackson(from NO), Adam Haluska(from NO) & a 2008 2nd round draft pick (Marty Leunen); Hornets traded Marcus Vinicius to the Memphis Grizzlies.
    ->Nicolas Batum to the Portland Trail Blazers for Donte Greene(from MEM), a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Sam Young)(from MEM) & Joey Dorsey(from POR); Portland Trail Blazers traded Darrell Arthur to the Memphis Grizzlies.
    ->Steve Novak to the Los Angeles Clippers for the right to swap 2nd round draft picks in 2011 but did not do so.
    -> Donte Greene, Bobby Jackson & a 2009 1st round draft pick (Omri Casspi) to the Sacramento Kings for Metta World Peace, Patrick Ewing & Sean Singletary.
    ->Sean Singletary to the Phoenix Suns for D.J. Strawberry.
    ->Patrick Ewing to the New York Knicks for Frederic Weis
    ->Steve Francis, cash & a 2009 2nd round draft pick(Sam Young) to the Grizzlies for a 2011 2nd round draft pick. Houston did not receive the 2nd round draft pick because it was top 55 protected.
    -> Rafer Alston to the Orlando Magic for Kyle Lowry(from MEM) & Brian Cook(from ORL); the Magic traded Adonal Foyle, Mike Wilks and a 2009 1st round draft pick (DeMarre Carroll) to the Memphis Grizzlies.
    ->Cash(to WAS) for Jermaine Taylor
    ->Cash & a future 2nd round draft pick(to DET) for Chase Budinger.
    ->Cash(to DEN) for Sergio Llull
    ->future 2nd round draft pick, cash & future considerations(to ATL) for rights to David Andersen
    ->James White(to DEN) for the draft rights to Axel Hervelle
    ->Joey Dorsey(to SAC), Carl Landry(to SAC) & Tracy McGrady(to NYK) for Jordan Hill(from NYK), Jared Jeffries(from NYK), a future 1st round draft(NYK); Hilton Armstrong(from SAC), Kevin Martin(from SAC) & the right to swap 1st round draft picks with New York in 2011 but did not do so.; the New York Knicks traded Larry Hughes(to SAC) for Sergio Rodriguez(to NYK).
    ->David Andersen to the Toronto Raptors for cash & a 2015 2nd round draft pick.
    ->Trevor Ariza(to NO) for Courtney Lee(from NJ); the Pacers traded Troy Murphy(to NJ) for Darren Collison(from NO) and James Posey(from NO)
    ->2012 1st round draft pick(to NJ) & Sergei Lishouk(to LAL) for Terrence Williams(from NJ); the Lakers traded Sasha Vujacic(to NJ) and a 2011 1st round draft pick(JuJuan Johnson)(to NJ) for Joe Smith(from NJ), a 2011 2nd round draft pick(Darius Morris)(from NJ) and a 2012 2nd round draft pick(from NJ).
    ->Jermaine Taylor & cash(to SAC) for a 2011 2nd round draft pick. Houston did not receive the 2nd round draft pick because it was top 55 protected.
    ->Aaron Brooks(to PHX) for Goran Dragic(from PHX) and a 2011 1st round draft pick(Nikola Mirotic).
    ->Shane Battier(to MEM) & Ishmael Smith(to MEM) for DeMarre Carroll(from MEM), Hasheem Thabeet(from MEM) & a future 1st round draft pick(from MEM).
    ->Brad Miller(to MIN), Nikola Mirotic(to MIN), Chandler Parsons(to MIN) & a future 1st round draft pick(to MIN) for Jonny Flynn(from MIN), Donatas Motiejunas(from MIN) & a future 2nd round draft pick(from MIN).
    ->Cash(to MIN) for Chandler Parsons.
    ->Jonny Flynn(to POR), Hasheem Thabeet(to POR) & 2nd round pick(to POR) for Marcus Camby(from POR).
    ->Jordan Hill(to LAL) for Derek Fisher(from LAL) & a conditional (Top 20 protected) first-round pick(from LAL via DAL).

Released:
    Ryan Bowen
    Mike Harris
    Richie Frahm
    Jackie Butler
    John Lucas
    Justin Reed
    Bob Sura
    Adam Haluska
    Gerald Green
    Loren Woods
    Marcus Campbell
    Mike Harris
    D.J. Strawberry
    Luther Head
    Romel Beck
    Garrett Temple
    Will Conroy
    Brent Barry
    Pops Mesah-Bonsu
    Mike Harris
    Brian Cook
    Hilton Armstrong
    Patrick Sullivan
    Jordan Eglseder
    Antonio Anderson
    Jerel McNeal
    Mike Harris
    Alexander Johnson
    Jared Jeffries
    DeMarre Carroll
    Marqus Blakely
    Ibrahim Jaaber
    Greg Smith
    Marcus Cousin
    Jeremy Lin
    Jeff Adrien
    Terrence Williams

Signed:
    Scott Padgett
    Bonzi Wells
    Mike Harris
    Steve Francis
    Bobby Jones
    Justin Williams
    Mike Harris
    Loren Woods
    Brent Barry
    Von Wafer
    Marcus Campbell
    James White
    Trevor Ariza
    David Andersen
    Pops Mensah-Bonsu
    Romel Beck
    Will Conroy
    Garrett Temple
    Mike Harris
    Will Conroy
    Garrett Temple
    Will Conroy
    Mike Harris
    Alexander Johnson
    Brad Miller
    Ish Smith
    Jerel McNeal
    Antonio Anderson
    Mike Harris
    Marcus Cousin
    Marqus Blakely
    Jeremy Lin
    Ibrahim Jaaber
    Greg Smith
    Jeff Adrien
    Samuel Dalembert
    Greg Smith
    Courtney Fortson

Drafted:
    Rudy Gay(1-8)
    Steve Novak(2-32)
    Aaron Brooks(1-26)
    Brad Newley(2-54)
    Nicolas Batum(1-25)
    Marty Leunen(2-54)
    Patrick Patterson(1-14)
    Marcus Morris(1-14)
    Nikola Mirotic(1-23)
    Chandler Parsons(2-38)

Coaches/FO:
    Fired Jeff Van Gundy
    Hired Rick Adelman
    Hired Elston Turner, Jack Sikma, TR Dunn & RJ Adelman as assistant coaches
    Named Sam Hinkie VP of Basketball Operations
    Named Kenny Atkinson director of player development and Pat Zipfel advance scout.
    Named Gersson Rosas VP of player personnel
    Daryl Morey contract extension
    Exercised option on Rick Adelman through 2010-2011
    Named Sam Hinkie executive VP of Basketball Operations
    Fired Rick Adelman
    Hired Kevin McHale
    Hired Chris Finch as assistant coach.
    Hired JB Bickerstaff, Chris Finch and Brett Gunning as assistant coaches.
    Named Greg Buckner player development coach

D GM

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Thank you for all of this, but especially for this part. Honestly, it kind of blew my mind. '10-'11 is the only one of these that wasn't a HUGE win IMO.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

To the original poster, nice thread.

Now to Arjun. Yao has only been retired for what, one year? It's not like Les has refused to tank for years and years. I think Les and Morey were hoping to acquire a star player before this season or at the trade deadline to make us a contender basically overnight, so I can't really blame Les or Morey for not wanting to immediately go into tank mode and give away all our best players. If it's the Rockets strategy to acquire a star player through trade or by picking up a free agent, then they've really only had that strategy since Yao retired, which has been a very short time.

The problem with tank mode is that some teams go that route and then are stuck there for a very long time. It's not much fun to be a fan of one of the worst teams in the league for ten years or more. The Clippers have had a winning record like one time in fifteen years. The Clippers had plenty of high draft picks and they didn't have a quick turnaround. Tanking and getting a high draft pick doesn't guarantee anything. How about the Golden state Warriors, a bad team year after year, high draft picks, and they're still bad. Charlotte gets a lottery pick almost every year, where is their superstar. Sacramento has been in the lottery for the last five years, and they're not looking too good these days. The Wizards have John Wall, but they've only won ten games this season. Tanking and having a bad record and getting high draft picks doesn't necessarily mean we will have a quick turnaround and be contenders.

It looks to me that Les and Morey believe we have some good young pieces with Lowry, Lee, Patterson, Parsons, maybe Motiejūnas, maybe Morris, and that they are trying to build around those guys. Morey was probably trying to move Martin and Scola before the trade deadline, but it could be that no one was buying. It's hard for us to know what is going on behind the scenes with the rockets, but I'm OK with what Les and Morey have been doing. The Rockets, for the most part, have had good and entertaining teams with star players for many years. But, we may have to see how the other half lives for a little while, whether we tank or not.

1 person likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Pugsley your draft stuff has some errors, but good effort at starting a Morey discussion without the flames.

2007 - #26 Brooks, #31 Landry, #54 Newley - Great draft and these guys were eventually turned into a 1st round pick, Dragic, and Martin.

2008 - #28 Greene, #33 Dorsey, #54 Leunen - This draft was pretty rough considering we traded Batum and missed on Hill, Arthur, Pekovic, Chalmers, Asik, and Jordan after trading down to be able to draft multiple players. Luckily, Greene was quickly flipped for Artest and that was the only saving grace of this train wreck.

2009 - #32 Taylor, #34 Llull, #44 Bud - Bud has been good at times, but his defense is bad and we aren't retaining him. This draft hasn't really yielded much and Llull isn't coming over for a couple more years. He could be really good when he gets here, but...

2010 - #14 Patterson - Looks like a good backup, but his rebounding is very bad for a PF of his size and build. Also his lack of aggressiveness on offense is disappointing.

2011 - #14 Morris, #20 Donuts, #38 Parsons - Morris gets an incomplete. Parsons looks very good, but he needs to develop confidence in his 3 pointer and his free throws. Donuts is very intriguing and he looks like he could be a star level player if he can play NBA level defense. This could end up being the best draft Morey has had if Morris can show anything.

Grades

2007 - A ... Morey's best draft. I can't give it an A+ because I reserve that for a franchise changing draft.

2008 - F ... Just really, really bad.

2009 - C ... Possibly B or higher if Llull ever comes over

2010 - B- ... Good value for the spot

2011 - Incomplete, but currently C if I had to grade. Parsons has been very good, but our lotto pick has shown nothing so far. Then you have Leonard and Vucevic who were taken at 15 and 16 who are showing much better potential than Morris. That said this could be possibly be an A or better draft depending on Donuts. I am extremely excited to see that guy in a Rockets uni.

#36 robbie380, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Morey got Scola for V-Span.

And he found Brooks in the draft.

The hiring of Adelman could be a decision by both Les and Morey.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

2010-2011
    Terrence Williams, 3 2nd round picks, 2 1st round picks, Goran Dragic and Donatas Montiejunas for 2 1st round picks, Jermaine Taylor, Shane Battier, and Aaron Brooks

So lets remove the BS from this

Terrence Williams - not on team so he is BS

2 1st = 2 1st, so this is BS too.

here is is without the BS

3 2nd round picks, Goran Dragic, and Donuts for Jermaine Taylor, Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks

I'd say that is an A+ win to me? Jermaine is worthless, Shane was gone anyway, and Aaron isn't as good as Goran but even if they are equal.

Basically 3 2nd rounders and Donuts for nothing.

19. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

I will say that the 2012 free agent (super stars) list is limited to Deron Williams, so unless we trade for one, we will more than likely not see a super star next year either.

Now free agents in 2013 is a whole different story. Mark my words that is when our organization will make its transition. Which is fine by me. I can handle one more year of mediocrity.

2013 is the last year for Martin and Scola's deals. You know they will be traded next year as we move in a new direction.

They only current players we will have under contract in 2013 are Lowry, Lee, Morris, and maybe Parsons If I remember correctly. With team options for Dally, P-Pat, and Bud.

That makes for an exciting 2013 !!!!!!!

2013 is The Year of the Morey

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . TANKING is the IN THING to do . . . interesting.

As for Morey
    Were the Rockets the more talented team in any of their playoff games?
    If you beat or take a team to the brink . . with inferior talent . . .that is not because you have a great GM. It is because you have a great/good coach.
    If you have superior talent . .. it is because you have a superior GM.

We like to see that we winning every trade . . . yet the results are generally about the same.
    As of now . .. Morey is kind of Kubiaking. . . . [in results not in practice]
    and Tanking will be his Wade .

Losing a game where you win every statistical catergory . . . is still a lose.
    Not really up to moral victories

Rocket River