1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown: Bickerstaff Was Talking About James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Dec 28, 2015.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com

With 8:00 remaining in the Rockets game Saturday night against the Pelicans, James Harden knocked a 3-pointer to put them up 103-94, and it looked as if they would follow their Christmas win over the Spurs with a road win against another Southwest Division opponent. However, the game’s final eight minutes were a disaster. The Rockets scored five points the rest of the way and lost to a 9-20 team 110-108. After the game, Rockets interim head coach J.B. Bickerstaff was angry...

It’s hard to pin-point exactly what Bickerstaff is referring to, and the Rockets did plenty of things wrong over the 48 minutes in New Orleans, but I went back through the game’s final eight minutes. As one would expect, when you score five points over that stretch, the offense was a serious problem, and one man stood out: James Harden.

... click on the link for the rest of the article, Its an interesting article with videos to illustrate his point, not sure I totally buy the conclusion but at this point its also difficult to argue against the authors points.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

posted this in the thread where JB said they were disrespecting the game:

I'll reiterate it...people need to stop pretending we don't know who doesn't give a crap. Its the guy that's dating a hollywood diva, the guy that was at the stripclub before the biggest WCF game, the guy that shows up to games hungover, the guy that came into training camp and this season out of shape.

Flame me delusional posters.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yup, it's very obvious but it's easy to become a victim of that so wouldn't surprise me if sensitive Howard also doesn't care anymore. It all snowballs from there.

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

1.) cyberx posted about how many players are dissatisfied with Harden
    2.) Harlan talking about how McHale was fired trying to reel in a young superstar, as "They think they know it all."
    3.) J.B having to say that the rockets are "disrespecting the game."--specifically citing the last 8 minutes where its clear one specific player was on a different page.

How the rockets handle Harden this season will dictate the type of player he will be for us in the future.

Its time to address the problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nobody on this forum got bashed harder than ME for telling you delusional hippies the truth.

7. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Guy is a immature and most likely will be for the rest of his career. Don't give me this spiel about how we need a coach that he respects and is willing to play for.

Any self respecting player should try regardless of what they think of the coach. Particularly one that gets paid millions of dollars to play sport.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There is a player on this team known for not putting in an effort when he isn't getting buckets, and it's not Harden

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You'd like to think that's the truth - but it's not.

History has shown Harden responds in a positive way to a coach that knows what he's doing. So it's not necessarily a spiel about nothing.

10. dmorey

dmorey Member

harden's choice of women tells me everything i need to know about him
    strippers, kardashian

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exaggeration and can u blame him?

12. rockets13champs

Harden needs to change man. But hes the man that says creators never follow.. Be who u are.. So will he actually change

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

How key is Dwight Howard to Houston's success?
    Entering Christmas, Rockets were +36 this season with Dwight on floor ... and -80 without him.

Marc Stein.

Carry on...

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

when will you fools realize this is a star driven league? Morey would go before Harden would. Harden is going to get what he wants. The only one who ultimately decides how he plays is himself. The This team lives and dies with Harden, that is not changing, ever, barring a major injury.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i feel like harden is turning into melo :(

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Harden's closest comparison at this point I think is Allen Iverson. Trust me.... Philly folks complained about him too at the time, but they'd go back to that era as soon as he went elsewhere.

When you look back at how Iverson was when he had major success you saw a supporting cast that really was built around making up for his weaknesses (hard worker/defensive minded) and a stickler coach that while Iverson didn't get along with, he obviously still got the best out of Allen.

I really do think that if you want a team built around Harden to have success, you really should be following this approach. We need a team built around Harden with hard working smart veteran players, great defenders, and you need a coach with credibility who isn't afraid of applying pressure on James, and reeling him in when needed.

(hint... I think Tom Thibs would be great, and you move the Lawson types as support players. Get some more hard nosed veterans and live with the results)

Trust me guys... Harden is the Rockets best chance of success in this window. YOU WANT Harden on this team. But you cannot enable a flawed superstar. You need to look to the past at other flaw superstars to see what worked and what didn't. You don't want the other alternative which is to trade him and rebuild. That's the last option you guys should want.

2 people like this.
  17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This is exactly how I feel

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When you are right, you are right.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Except he's a much more dynamic player. Melo is a great scorer but he can't impact the game in as many ways as Harden can, and he can't orchestrate your offense like James can.

And I feel like Melo went from overrated to underrated. He's a great scorer who could fit in on a ton of teams. But he's not a guy you can throw on a 25 win team and expect them to contend.

James Harden however... you can throw him on a 25 win team, and he can carry you to the playoffs. That's how good he is. But at the same time, you win by Harden and you lose by Harden. When he's off his game, or makes the wrong decisions he can kill your team when they'd otherwise be conserving, and allowing the system to produce. But if you have a Harden led team you need to accept the fact that he's going to blow a few games when he's off, but he still has the ability to carry your team to wins for a month straight.

Comparing Harden to Melo is just kind of weak. Its only used when its convenient based on when he has an off game. Its not fair to Melo to put him in this category, and its not fair to Harden's talent to just rate him as a secondary player just because you've uncovered his downside.

Harden isn't a perfect superstar. But trying to say that he isn't a superstar or doesn't have that superstar talent because of the downside of being a flawed superstar is just lazy narrative pushing.

1 person likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is the problem I've always had with this team.

We have no true other star player to go to. Every other team we compete against does.

We just don't. When people realize this fact they will stop blaming Harden for every little thing that is wrong with this team.

He has no CP3, no Klay Thompson/Green, no LMA, no Kyrie, No Westbrook.

He has Lawson and Dwight who up to this point have been decent players but no one you can...lets put it like this. If Harden went down for 3 weeks are people confident right now that Lawson/Dwight could keep this team in competition for homecourt seeding?