1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Break up the 'Stros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by VesceySux, Oct 10, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

who is this juan pierre fellow everyone's talking about? who does he play for? what has he done?

and, seriously. . . as long as we're talking about speedy centerfielders, is everyone just going to hop right off the Glen Barker bandwagon????

2. Major

Major Member

Juan Pierre is Colorado's center fielder. Bats around 0.330 (I think) -- on the road and at home, good speed, runs down everything in Colorado's enormous outfield, relatively young. One problem: He's not a free-agent.

I'm not sure what it would take to get him (or if he's even available), but it might take Hidalgo. I'd actually be willing to trade Hidalgo for Pierre. Reason is we save Hidalgo's $8M which we can use to resign Alou. Hidalgo's only signed for 3 more years, and if he's any good, we won't be able to afford him after that. Assuming we get Alou for 2 years at $10M/yr or so, that's only 1 year lost. Alou's better offensively, Hidalgo defensively, so that's pretty much a wash.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with much of the sentament. But wanted to add a couple of points:

The Cardinals and Yankees don't seem to have much trouble with Braves pitchers in the playoffs. They can at least get a couple of runs off them. I think much of the reason is there managers relax their players and tell them to put more pressure on the whole Braves defense by being aggresive--as a result they often can manufacture runs when their is the slightest opening, as Shanna described the A's as doing. The Astros do not try to manufacture runs to take any pressure of their key bats and the key bats choke under the extra pressure, that is a terrible combination and the result is predictable.

The DBacks also seem to be falling in the Stros trap, waiting for that big inning against good pitchers (that never comes) instead of chipping away at a run when you can get it by bunting, hit and running, stealing, etc. Against playoff pitching, a run here and there is HUGE. Interestingly, the one playoff series that should have been a no contest because of our speed and defensive (especially at the catcher position) advantage: the Stros-Padres a couple of years ago, we never used it because we were afraid of getting thrown out I guess. Any idiot should have been able to see it was going to take risks and aggressive baserunning to score on Brown that year, you were not going to get a big HR or consecutive hits against him.

I think the Stros all-time playoff record is now something like 8-23, and series record like 0-6. Given bad teams can win 40% of their games and you be hard pressued to intentionally lose six series in a row, it is pretty much a statistical imposibility that tough luck alone is involved. Their greatest players choke under the pressue and their managers seem to be incapable of adjusting to playoff style of play to take the pressure off their plays.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I thought Lugo was our SS of the future with the way he played last year. Could we do a Burke/Everett platoon there? Also, is Hernandez and Redding destined for the rotation? What about Dotel?

Whatever you do, do NOT trade Hidalgo. I have a feeling he's gonna hit 40 next year.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It starts at the top. How about getting a manager who's had success in the postseason? A guy who's been there, done that might make better moves (no MJax, no Lugo) and instill some confidence in his guys that they could succeed. Torre, Cox, LaRusa, all make their teams better.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd trade Hidalgo in a heartbeat for Pierre...Pierre is a guy who struck out less than 30 times all season!!! He's a true leadoff hitter and the kind of defensive player that can roam the biggest CF in all of baseball.

Barker can't hit and can't run bases. It's not enough to merely be fast if you're not a good baserunner....nor if you can't get on base to begin with! Barker isn't even the first option as a pinch-runner anymore!

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wow, that is a sobering thought. What will it take for McClane to break open the bank? I think Houston has the potential to be a large market club.

A pierre for Hidalgo trade was proposed, but COlorado turned it down.

8. Major

Major Member

<B>Wow, that is a sobering thought. What will it take for McClane to break open the bank? </B>

I dunno, but in about 3-4 years (when Hidalgo's contract would come up), Miller, Oswalt, Redding and Hernandez might be close to their first free agency period. If they are anywhere near as good as we expect them to be, they could all command well over $15M per year each if salaries keep rising like they are now.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Juan Pierre was less productive than Hidalgo, in a vastly better hitters park - I would not like this trade at all.

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Guys, here is your future lead off hitter/2nd baseman:

Chris Burke

11. Major

Major Member

<B>Juan Pierre was less productive than Hidalgo, in a vastly better hitters park - I would not like this trade at all.</B>

Depends on your definition of productive.

Pierre had a higher average, higher on-base %, more hits, more triples, more runs scored, and fewer strikeouts.

Hidalgo had a higher slugging, more RBI's, more HR's, more doubles.

The RBI's/Runs-Scored/# of Hits are just a result of batting-order position, but the rest are important. Pierre is a better outfielder speed-wise, Hidalgo has the better arm. The Coors-field advantage is zero for him. His average is slightly higher at home, but his slugging is actually higher (again, very slight) on the road.

The idea behind Pierre is not just on the stats though -- it's the fact that all our current hitters are clones of each other. None have speed, none are good contact hitters, almost all are right-handed. Pierre brings all those qualities -- speed, contact-hitting, a left-handed bat -- that we <I>really, really</i> need on this team.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Not to toot my own horn (since I started this discussion), but I now hereby declare this thread to be relevant (and somewhat necessary considering the sweep by the Braves :mad: ). Hence, the bump.

Talk amongst yourselves.

13. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

We have a need for speed. We need a Johnny Damon or Jermaine Dye. Let the player that we have alike go like Alou and Castilla Ward and some one you get the point . First of all get rid of Lugo he been messing the whole year.

14. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

Some notes and comments:

I don't know if any of you saw Chris Burke play in the College World Series. He was AWESOME! He basically carried the team and made the opposing pitchers sweat every time he came up to bat or was on the basepaths. In one game, I forgot who it was against, Burke was on 1st with two outs in the 7th inning. The opposing team was so worried about him that they wouldn't throw to the plate: just some pick-off throws and pitch-outs, with two outs! All they had to do was concentrate on the batter. And guess what, Burke stole 2nd anyway. :D How were his stats in the minors? I'm telling you guys, he is a stud, and Peter Gammons called him a Biggio clone with his hard-nosed style of play. His being a college player could speed his development and maybe with a good spring he could take over for Lugo. (I am not completely sold on Adam Everett).

What happens to Bottenfield? He doesn't seem to fit, but he insists that he wants to stay, and that he can still help the team.

Bagwell moving to third is intriguing, because it could solve a lot of our problems: it gets Ward into the everyday lineup at 1st base, opens a spot for our new centerfielder, and lets Hidalgo move to right, where his knees can have a break (face it, Alou is gone).

How receptive are y'all to letting wagner go and letting Dotel become the full-time closer. We could re-sign Mike Williams to be the set-up man with the money we save on Wagner. I'm guessing he could command 8 million+ next year. Not that I want this to happen, just a thought.

15. Major

Major Member

<B>What happens to Bottenfield? He doesn't seem to fit, but he insists that he wants to stay, and that he can still help the team.
    </B>

I don't think there's any way he's on the team next year. My guess is the rotation next year is Oswalt, Miller, Hernandez, Reynolds, and Mlicki.

<B>Bagwell moving to third is intriguing, because it could solve a lot of our problems: it gets Ward into the everyday lineup at 1st base, opens a spot for our new centerfielder, and lets Hidalgo move to right, where his knees can have a break (face it, Alou is gone). </B>

This will <I>never, ever, ever, ever</I> happen. Bagwell hasn't played 3rd in 10 years, and he wasn't a good third baseman in the first place. He has bad lateral movement now, and his arm ain't great (especially with a torn labrum). This will never happen.

<B>How receptive are y'all to letting wagner go and letting Dotel become the full-time closer. We could re-sign Mike Williams to be the set-up man with the money we save on Wagner. I'm guessing he could command 8 million+ next year. Not that I want this to happen, just a thought.</B>

Apparently, Mike Williams wants $6M or so too. If the choice is between the two (for similar dollars), Wagner's the obvious choice. But I would have no problem moving Dotel to the closer's role, signing him long-term, and making Redding the setup man next season. Redding has no real good spot right now.

On Chris Burke, is he a good defensive SS? Everything I've heard was that he will slowly be moved to 2nd base and eventually replace Biggio. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be for 2 or 3 more years. If he can play SS well, hell yeah, bring him up and let's see what he can do.

16. Behad

qwerty, I guess I was too vague when I posted this???:eek:

17. Behad

You don't think Redding fits in? I think he has what it takes to be a big league pitcher, but who does he replace?

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I remember right, Mlicki and Villone each come off the books after next year. I think they combine for about 9 mill, which our beloved Drayton can put back into the team.

I think Redding might spend a whole year in the pen like Elarton, and make some spot starts when injuries or double headers occur.

From Behad's link, there's a mention on Michael Rodriguez our 2nd round pick. He's a left handed CF with outstanding speed (49 SB in 51 chances). The scout said he should be the lead off hitter some time down the road.

From what I've heard of Burke, he's got a solid glove, but doesn't make spectacular plays like Everett can, and doesn't have a rifle for an arm.

If Castilla asks for too much, a name I think would be a 3B candidate via trade is Robin Ventura. The Mets want to get rid of him, he has a somewhat high price, but he's a veteran 3B with a very steady glove and a lefthanded bat.

19. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

My take on the 'stros offseason:

Starting pitching:

*Pedro Astacio-I know we have the option on him and he becomes a free agent if we don't exercise it, but he did not have a decent enough chance to prove himself. After coming over, he only made a couple of starts b/f getting injured. I think he is an upgrade over the injury prone Shane Reynolds. It is quite a risk though b/c I heard somewhere that if his option is exercised, he gets paid like 9 million at one point of his contract. He'll be 33 by the time of next season.

Wade Miller-pitched well this year and is still very young and will improvement. Will be 26 for next season.

*Roy Oswalt-not really a surprise but good that he lived up to the hype. Hopefully he'll improve on his terrific season this year. He'll now be in the rotation from the beginning of the year and 20 wins is not out reach. 25 next season.

*Carlos Hernandez-I didn't think lightning would strike again in showing how a highly propped, young pitcher could do well after being thrown into the fire, but he certainly did. After watching Glavine tear up our right hand hitters w/ low and outside all the time, hopefully he can develop that kinda stuff. 22 next season

*Tim Redding-stuggled at times last year but has major league stuff and is young and should improve. Because of his struggles, should be 5th starter but probably the best 5th starter in the league. Will be 24 next season.

The Rockets starting rotation has a lot of potential and the future looks good. We probably have the highest potential of any starting staff except for Oakland.

I'm assuming Shane will not be back. His contract pays him at most 7 million which is not much different than Astacio's. Another option would be to get rid of Astacio and Reynolds and put Mlicki as the 5th starter since he pitched fairly well since coming to the Astros.

Infield:

Catcher:Brad Ausmus-one of the best defensive catchers in the league and should hit better than he did this year.

1B:Jeff Bagwell-although his contract is now quite large, he is probably the best defensive 1st baseman in the league. He is also a steady bat. He leads by example, but by far is not the leader of this team although being paid like one. Won't get traded unless absolutely benefitting the Astros or him and requests one.

2B:Craig Biggio- only 2 years left on a large contract. Should be better next season with his knee and if we end up getting a legitimate lead off hitter, move him to bat 2nd. Chris Burke is the future here and may get called up depending on how well his play in the minors next season. But there is no hurry w/ him b/c of Biggio's 2 more years.

SS:Sorry Lugo but you will be traded if there are takers, unlikely waived but u won't start next year. This spot now belongs to Adam Everett. People wanna say he can't hit, but look at Lugo. It's not as if he swung a hot stick in the regular season as well as the playoffs. Importance of fielding came to a head with his 3 errors that arguabley could have been the reason y we lost the first 2 games.

3B:Vinny Castilla-surprised me at how well he could field. He hit very well too and probably would have eclipsed 30 homers had he played the entire season with us. Depending on his asking price will determine if he's back or not. The 'stros don't have anyone better and I believe the market does not have much better either. One thing to possibly keep an eye on is Rolen in Philly. At one point this season, he was not playing well and was called out in Philly and became upset. If he still harbors ill feelings, look for him to be traded. I'm not sure if his contract expires this year or next, but he would be an excellent young third baseman.

Outfield:

LF:Richard Hidalgo-one of the best arms in baseball and will kill runners trying to test his arm. Had an off year this year and should put up numbers close to what he did 2 years ago.

RF:Lance Berkman-I am a fan of Alou but we can spend your money on other important places in the lineup. First full year of playing and did very well. Young and great potential. Will increase batting avg and homers in years to come.

CF:Most important position to fill this season. Damon is a free agent and will require of bit of $$$ but is the best of the bunch of the CF free agents. Perfect lead off man for getting on base and stealing some bases. Will score a ton of runs this year if Biggio is backing him up. Another option is Jaun Pierre. Several have mentioned him, but Colorado will probably want some of our young pitching to start to obtain Pierre and I think the 'stros are reluctant to do that at this moment. Another option is Roger Cedeno. I know we had him but he was injured most of his tenure here and can still some bases. I believe his biggest problem was playing the outfield. Hopefully he is improved on that. Some have said they would like Everett back. He may have some ill will still w/ the franchise but I would take him back if Boston pays for some of his contract and doesn't demand too much for him.

Coach:It's hard to believe that someone who has won 4 division championships in 5 years would be getting the ax but his strange personnel decisions, his actions at "the press conference" and the fact that he supposedly has lost the support of the team makes him likely to be axed. Possibilities are recently retired Tom Kelly who has been to 2 world series. Felipe Alou is unlikely due to his contract demand as well as us unlikely resigning Alou. Tony Pena is also a likely canidate b/c he is cheap, which McLane always likes, plus has postseason success...in the minors.

20. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Who in the heck is this Juan Pierre guy?