1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brazil Nightclub Tragedy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmenacela, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Just terrible :(

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow, that's horrible. Very sad.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

prayers for the families involved

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Damn. That's terrible

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wow damn. RIP

6. VanityHalfBlack

Damn man university students!!!! Horrible/horrible news indeed... R.I.P

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Damn man everything just went wrong. Security guards holding people in because they haven't paid their tabs. I can't imagine the panic, anger, and utter pandemonium that caused.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. Guards not letting them out of a burning building because of bar tabs?

Reminds me of the Saudi girl school that caught on fire, and they weren't let out by the religious police.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Speechless. Unimaginable tragedy.

10. Uprising

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

read online that they dont really have those exit sign like they do here in the US...we take that for granted..but something as simple as that couldve saved more lives..

12. TISNF

TISNF Member

Damn that **** is ****ed up. Looks like, from one of the videos many of the victims died from smoke inhalation...hopefully they didn't feel any pain.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Imagining that scene is a nightmare. Could happen to anyone and all that panic is scary.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Adding to this:

My wife is from Brazil. She says exit signs are a rarity there, let alone emergency exits.

The boate (boh-wATCH-ee), nightclub, in question has ONE exit. A place filled with 3,000 people having a blowout party to end the Brazilian summer before going back to school.

The smoke in the club was pitch-black. People couldn't see. Many were trampled.

To give you an idea how jacked-up safety measures are there, my wife went home, visited her family. She got into a cab outside the mall with her sister, brother, nephew. My wife asked, "Where are the seatbelts?" (She's lived in the States now, she's used to wearing her seatbelt.) The driver said he'd had the seatbelts taken out of the car. My wife complained. Her family called her "chata" (a pain), "metida" (stuckup), for complaining about such a thing.

I don't find my country perfect, but by God, I'm down with enforced safety laws. I love Brazil, I loved Italy when I was there, but goodness, sometimes it's a time warp when you're there.

15. Uprising

Funny, similar thing happened to me in Saudi about 2 weeks ago.

we hopped in and out of 3 taxis before we found one with seat belts. First guy said he couldn't take us because he didn't have papers to drive (saudi aramco will check for it).....and the others didn't have belts. (these were local city taxis...ones from the compound are sooooo much better).

16. TISNF

TISNF Member

Yeah for sure; I still couldn't decide if drivers in Italy were the best in the world or the worst...no one follows traffic "laws" and pretty much drive wherever they want at whatever speed they want (which is pretty much the same case across Europe). But you would rarely see an accident.

Always amazes me how most people don't bother putting on a seat belt in cabs or on buses which are typically some of the most erratic driving experiences.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

China's the same way. I think the lack of major accident is cause people just pay that much more attention. You also don't run into people when walking, driving might be that too.

18. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

If you ever read Freakonomics there's a whole chapter on seatbelts and if they actually make cars safer. Point of the story is: when nobody has seatbealts, everyone drivers slower and pays more attention else they will fly through the windshield if they crash. Although seatbelts save lives, they also cause people to drive faster and more carelessly causing more accidents and more severe accidents. One suggestion (not serious but emphasizing a point) is to put knives sticking out of every steering wheel. You would have less accidents and people would drive slower for sure.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sad situation but it again shows the importance of building codes and following them.
    About the security blocking the exit I am wondering if they could see the fire or at least the smoke. If they were aware of the fire or that something dangerous was going on I would charge them with manslaughter.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've had similar experiences in Indonesia and Sri Lanka. When I was in Sri Lanka I had a private driver and he was chuckling at me when I put the seat belt on but considering how they drive there I had no regrets about it.