1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brazil Freak - George Lucas

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Feb 16, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pass, we need a PG that can help us sooner rather than later.

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

The only freak in this years draft I see is Ilimane Diop - 6'11'' big with 7'10'' wingspan :eek:

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

The thread title reminds me of p0rn

4. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

He's in 2015 draft? Why he's averaging very few minutes in Spain at 20 years old?

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Foul prone, skinny and not strong enough to bang with experienced players, very raw.

Yet, if it's his real wingspan I would like to see approval from someone legit than spanish league.

[youtube]6QAxx1S3ViM[/youtube]

[youtube]8LjDGBnkfGY[/youtube]

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

Asked his agent via email, some draft mocks have him as a late 2nd rounder, but....
    Asked him about his height, weight and wingspan, and got this answer....I think it's time to change his agent if he want's to get any interest from other teams :eek:

7. CertifiedTroll

8. basketballholic

[YOUTUBE]eCkOpOGDMCA[/YOUTUBE]

This is terrible. Not the way to do a catch and shoot drill on the move. Doesn't step into the shot. Doesn't hop. Everything is flat-footed. Won't translate to game.

Have to admit, I'm intrigued by this kid because of his size and defensive potential. But he is a project. Needs a couple years of solid coaching to have a chance to fulfill his potential.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd take him over Han Solo, but not over that Skywalker kid. Seriously though, I love his game. Sign me up on his fan list.

10. CertifiedTroll

I think we should try to nab this guy with our NY 2nd rounder. Looks like a nice gamble. (Aside: Cameron Payne or Kriss Dunn w/ first)

More from DraftExpress on his play:

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly Dunn, or Payne then Lucas. We have enough bigs and with Lull and Dunn? we should swing for the fence. Who knows when it is time for Harden to reup a huge potential Lucas could be the deciding factor.

After Capela it might just be too lucky to hit another longshot.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

13. basketballholic

Yeah, I like the second round gamble idea. But only if we got Kaminsky in the first instead of Dunn. I really think Dunn is the perfect fit here. If we got him I see no need to spend the second on Lucas.

In other words, if we draft a PG in the first, then I don't want another PG in the second. I'd rather go after a project big, or a 3&D wing player, with either of those guys being a draft-and-stash possibility.

For instance, I'd rather take a flyer on Robert Upshaw, a first round talent who screwed away his college career, but the kind of defensive menace in the paint worthy of a high lottery draft selection if not for his off-court issues. Upshaw is probably more talented than Willie Cauley-Stein. He's just had some extreme off-court issues. Yeah, I know, huge red flag. But I think you gotta gamble on that kind of upside, especially in the defensive paint if he shows the possibility of changing his off-court demeanor. I think in Upshaw's case, it should be easy to tell whether or not he's draftable.

And if Upshaw proves undraftable because of attitude/disposition then I'd rather go after either Aleksandar Vezenkov or Timothe Luwawu.

Aleksandar Vezenkov is a combo forward that can flat out shoot the basketball. He's a perfect fit as a spread-4 for us, a lefty that can get his shot off against anybody because of his size, mechanics, and his terrific, quick release. I really, really like this kid a ton. He's basically a young Delfino/Diaw blend with a superior release to Delfino. Won't be a great defender but has plenty of basketball iq to overcome his physical shortcomings defensively. He's got all kinds of moxy and every pore in his body oozes winning. I would love to have this kid as a draft-and-stash. If you haven't seen him play I dare you to watch him play and come away saying he's average or no good. Don't know what his desire is as far as playing in the NBA. He might not care. But bottom line is he's a gamer with an extremely great jump shot that he can get off against anybody because of his size and super-quick release and he's fearless when shooting it.

Timothe Luwawu is another young project 3&D perimeter player. He's like a younger, longer, more athletic Matt Barnes. He's already developed his defensive skills to the point of being a plus defender in the NBA. And he can defend 1-4 making it easy to make defensive switches with him on the floor. And he digs big time. Needs to develop his body a little bit more and needs to develop his spot up shot a little bit more and needs to work on his handle some. But those are all extras except for the spot-up 3-ball. We could draft and stash him or we could draft him and stick him on the roster and let him develop early in the d-league.

Barring those guys, I think I might prefer to try to swing a trade down with Philly, trading #31 for multiple of their second rounders, perhaps one this year and one or more next season. With that lower pick I'd take a flyer on Moussa Diagne. This is another young, long, crazy athletic big who has only been playing basketball for around 3 years. This kid reminds me of Serge Ibaka with his athleticism, hops, and potential. I'd draft and stash him in a second, bring him over in the summer and work on his shooting and strength training.

As far as point guards in the second round.....the league (and the world) is full of second round point guards. We don't need to develop one. We either draft a kid ready to play at the point or we draft somebody else and sign a point guard or trade for one.

#33 basketballholic, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Upshaw sounds like Tarpley 2.0

15. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

NY second rounder would be great IF he's still available then. It's possible, but some GM's are aggressive especially after Gobert/Greek freak were 'quietly' stolen in mid to late first round...

16. fattz

fattz Member

Tarpley was a beast still know his name after all these years... If he is Tarpley 2.0 then why not we will get some burn out of a 2nd rounder till he misses himself up ---> that all good

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Go ahead and add Capela to that list ;) and then add me to this cat's fan list . I'm in.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

2015 Nike Hoop Summit: International Practice: Day Five
    4/10/15
    George Lucas also had possibly his best practice of the week and is finally starting to come out of his shell seemingly. On his very first possession of the game he drove strong into the paint for a dunk (which he missed), and he did not look bashful at all firing up shots from the perimeter all scrimmage long. Like the rest of the team, he looked to make things happen early in the shot-clock as much as possible, using his big strong frame to power his way into the lane and draw fouls. Defensively, he was a constant presence, switching seamlessly onto bigger players (like Ben Simmons) and not really giving up anything when he did, which gives his team terrific flexibility. Lucas is far from a finished product, but it's impossible not to see how talented he is. The only question is whether a team will feel they have the patience to let him grow through his initial struggles and develop his game through playing time and learning from mistakes, which may not be all that much fun early on.

Wouldn't mind using the 32nd pick on him. draft express has him ranked 31st right now. A season in the D League like Capela and he could be ready. He is one of the youngest players in the draft turning 19 in May.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3XwwxTll6
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3XwwjJDPi
    http://www.draftexpress.com

19. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I like Upshaw a lot at 32, but probably not if we are holding onto both DMo and Capela. I think he will need to be kept close and engaged and not just shipped off to RGV with no shot of playing in Houston for his whole rookie year.

And I think the potential with Lucas is at least 2 years before he could even come over and 3 before he could contribute anything, so drafting another PG in the 1st wouldn't dissuade me from taking Lucas if I thought he was worth the chance. The 1st rounder would practically off his rookie deal before Lucas would even be ready to do anything.

20. CertifiedTroll

Two new videos:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HsfxEi0pCaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1x-MTIUd35E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>