1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Braylon or Jacoby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fyreball, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I know at face value, this sounds like a ridiculous question, but when you really consider it, I feel like it has merit. At THIS stage in their careers, who would you rather have on the Texans? Jacoby Jones or Braylon Edwards? Jacoby has shown us flashes of what he could potentially be on the football field if he were to just calm down and stay focused. Braylon, over the same span, has shown us the kind of prima donna receiver he can be. My vote would still probably go to Braylon simply because as a 2nd or 3rd receiver, I feel like he would demand enough attention away from guys like AJ and OD, that his worth would come just from that. But based on results, you can't argue with what Jacoby has done this year. Your thoughts??

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think Walter is great second WR to have. I hope that we can resign him at a reasonable price.

Didn't Edwards have zero catches last week ?

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Braylon Edwards would want to be 2nd if not the 1st WR option on a team. Houston already has a good combo with andre and walter.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

What's the point of the comparison? I mean that sincerely.

Braylon is a Jet for the forseeable future so it's not like we are comparing our options.

Are you trying to hype up Jacoby or point out that Edwards is overrated? If you are trying to hype up Jacoby, what's the point of comparing him to Edwards? If you are trying to prove that Edwards is overrated, that should go in the BBS.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

We know what Braylon can do if he holds on to the ball, we dont really know what Jacoby can do on a regular basis(although I have a feeling that may have already began to change) so i'd take Braylon if I had to.

I think a better comparison for JJ is Eddie Royal as far as what he should be in our offense.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Is this serious?

Braylon, despite his issues with drops, is a #1 receiver on the majority of teams in the NFL.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Lol.

Braylon.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jacoby has shown flashes of brilliance but at the same time has shown flashes of total incompetence especially when it comes to catching the ball on a punt return.

At this point, I'd still rather have Braylon.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Braylon, baggage and all. No questions asked.

10. rezdawg

I dont think it matters whether its at this point or not...Jacoby's potential will never amount to what Braylon has to offer.

Heck, Braylon has scored 16 TDs in a season...and has 15.5 yards per reception over his career.

On the other hand, JJ has 23 receptions in 2+ years.

We should be asking if we'd trade Walter and a draft pick for Edwards.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Bollocks, I wouldn't trade Walter for Edwards or even Jacoby at this point.

Edwards has been shown to have first class talent but a diva mentality. That could hurt the locker and would probably be more of a distraction since, he probably wouldn't accept being behind AJ nor have the class that Boldin has to not let it effect his on field performance. That brother is not worth a draft pick or Walter.

Now Hines Ward or (2 years ago) Mason from the Ravens, I'd trade 2nd or 4th round draft pick to get respectively. But Kevin Walter fits pretty well in that mold, with Davis and JJ showing promise in being fast and deep threats down the field.

12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

This. I look at what they've done, and Braylon has definitely shown more that Jacoby has. On top of that, Jacoby annoys me a bit with the way he seems to act so immaturely on the field.

Pugs

13. rezdawg

lol.

I hope you guys realize that any "diva"ness that Braylon has shown has been because he has been unhappy with the Browns. You do realize that the only players that would be happy in his shoes are the ones that are just there to collect a paycheck. I think most people that have played numerous years for the Browns may stir some things up. Yes, Braylon is not as much of an angel as Andre Johnson, but to think that he would be a locker room cancer is ridiculous.

The guy is a number 1 receiver, no doubt about that. He is capable of 1300 yards and double digit touchdowns. Very few NFL players can claim that. Heck, Andre Johnson still cant claim that.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This.

15. Ashes

Ashes Member

Andre Johnson is far better than Braylon Edwards.

Let's see Braylon catch some passes before claiming he's the same as his 07 self. After all, Roy Williams was quite the stud receiver before on a terrible team, so surely he'd return to that status. Right?

16. rezdawg

Obviously Andre Johnson is better than Edwards...all I was saying is that very few receivers could boast putting up 1300 yards and double digit TDs (Braylon had 16). There is no way you could discredit that...the fact of the matter is that Edwards is a #1 receiver...and any comparison to anyone on our team, other than AJ, is absurd.

And Roy Williams may have done well on a crappy Detroit team, but he also wasnt in a bad passing offense as Kitna threw for over 4000 yards for a couple of seasons with offense coordinator Mike Martz. Tony Romo prefers to go to his butt buddy, Witten.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I really could care less about his Diva like tatics but those darn drop passes would drive me insane plus the guy has had one good season thats it so IMO he isn't a #1 reciever but a solid #2 for sure.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Idk about that. He had zero catches against the Bengals last week.

He is averaging 34 receiving yards per game. Walter has better numbers in 2 games this season.

It's obvious that he needs a change of scenery. It could turn out like the Moss situation when he had only 553 receiving yards in 06-07 (13 games). I doubt he can rebound like Moss though.

19. Ashes

Ashes Member

Until Edwards does anything to lead me to believe he's still the same #1 receiver of 07 or even close to it, I wouldn't take him over Walter, who produces better even as the #2 receiver. Jacoby Jones is obviously a silly comparison.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

When it comes to on-field talent, there is ABSOLUTELY no question in my mind that Braylon Edwards is by FAR the better receiver. Heck, Braylon Edwards, talent-wise, is in the top 10-15 receivers IN THE LEAGUE. However, you also CAN'T discount the off-the-field stuff PLUS the fact that he drops around 10-15 balls a season (heard that on the radio, I have no facts to actually back that up, but it sounds accurate). I understand that Jacoby is in his first year of really producing any kind of stats, but I just feel like over the course of the next few seasons, his role on this team will grow more and more. Considering that Walter is a free-agent at the end of this season, and the Texans might not be willing to sign him to a 5 year $30MM deal or something, I think Jacoby is a player we are all going to have to pay more and more attention to. If it were up to me, Walter showed his worth to this team in his first game back against the Jags, and I would sign him to a reasonably valued long-term contract, but as we all know, there are teams out there who are always willing to overpay. I would still take Braylon over Jacoby, but I don't know if it's as much of a lockdown decision as you guys say it is. Remember, Jacoby is going to come at a much cheaper price than Braylon, and his numbers might not be TOO far off what Braylon does by the end of the season. And that's even with Braylon looking to be the number 1 option in New York.

And to BrooksBall.....lighten the heck up, man. I know that Braylon Edwards isn't gonna be walking through those doors, but I just thought it'd be a discussion-worthy topic on a slow, rainy Friday. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by bringing up the subject....it was just a thought that ran through to my head, so I figured I'd see what the rest of you thought.