1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brantley out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SWTsig, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really hope the A's stay in Oakland. I will miss posts like this if they move to Vegas.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I just hate the idea of whoever the Astros trade for him becoming the next Tony Kemp, Abraham Toro, Astro killers.

And since it would likely be multiple players they would not beat the A's again for at least 4-5 years till the A's trade those guys away

3. Buck Turgidson

I don't even want to think about it.

Not sure if serious.

xcrunner51 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Mitch Haniger is the type of player I could see the Astros target.

He isn't a star, he has had a bad year.... but he is surprisingly productive when healthy and could likely play 1st and the corner outfield spot.

He has had an OPS in the 800's often, has a high OPS+ and has hit as many as 39 homers in a season. He wouldn't obviously be a splashy signing but could hit anywhere in the line up.

Adding a first baseman with an OPS of 110+ or higher and Hanigan would really extend the line up and make Maldonado at C and Pena at SS playable offensively.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm still in the boat hoping that Mancini is back with the stros. I have no problem with him being the stros primary 1B going forward. Anticipating some big moments for him finally experiencing the postseason

6. the shark

the shark Member

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion why not at least wait another year to see what they have with Brown before shipping him off in a trade?

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

[QUOTE="Not sure if serious.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how serious I am either.

Common sense tells me make a trade if it helps the team. But it feels like former Astros tend to do particularly well against them.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

I really like him as a player, when healthy, but I don't know if I want anyone with his sort of injury voodoo curse anywhere near our clubhouse:

broken finger trying to bunt
    9 games after coming back from broken finger, hit in face by Jake DeGrom fastball
    ruptured testicle by foul ball (Verlander fastball, straight from bat to balls, this is why you wear a cup, kids)
    abdominal hernia while rehabbing from ruptured testicle
    herniated disc/sciatica while rehabbing abdominal hernia
    Covid
    High ankle sprain
    Back flares up again, misses a week 6 weeks after coming off IL from ankle sprain

everyday eddie and Joshfast like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's an injury lightening rod. All the discomforts will find him leaving Alvarez, Altuve, Bregman, and Tucker perfectly healthy.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s a horrible list. And also none of it seems like anything other than bad luck from a structural standpoint. Just lots of bad luck. Other than the back. That could be a problem longterm I guess.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's the very idea of a prospect for established player trade. The team trading the prospect is trading unfulfilled upside (and downside). In a year, HB could be worth a lot more or a lot less.

You wait a year, the Astros still have a glaring hole at catcher and there's a chance HB busts in the mean time.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

And what have you (or anybody else) seen from Brown thus far that would make you think he'll be a bust??

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The same thing anybody can see in any unproven player. There are dozens upon dozens of dudes who flashed stuff equal to or better than Brown’s who never amounted to Jack squat, whether it be due to injury or just not being able to maintain the effectiveness. Hell, just glance over to Houston’s prospect list and you can see that Forrest Whitley was once a can’t miss ace, the top pitching prospect in all of baseball.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Does he speak fluent Spanish? That seems to be a requirement now.

15. the shark

the shark Member

So let's sit back and see if they trade him. Stros have been pretty good at holding on to certain prospects that they value a lot. My bet is they do NOT trade him. If they do I'll come back and say I was wrong.

16. Qan

Qan Member

If the Astros didn't value or like to hold onto their top prospect so much, Bregman would be a White Sox and Tucker would be a Marlins.

But who knows...new regime afterall.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am by no means predicting they will trade Brown, although it wouldn’t shock me.. I was putting out a hypothetical 2023 roster. Houston has been pretty good at knowing which prospects to make untouchable.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d be knock me over with a feather shocked if they traded him. And I’d be pissed as well. Unless they got something spectacular for him. Like, an all star CF with 4 plus’s years of club control left.
    Brown is still 6 years away from FA and 3 years away from arbitration and has his rookie status still so is probably a candidate to net some draft picks. I can’t imagine anyone else would value him as highly as I do. the guy throws a 94 MPH slider with a nasty curve and can hit a hundo, and he’s been great in his first 20 or so big league innings after dominating the hardest scoring environment in baseball at the PCL.
    I would much rather trade Framber than him, and I absolutely love Framber and he’s going to come in top 5 in the Cy young balloting for the second time in 3 years.

19. Buck Turgidson

If it's a requirement then wouldn't the answer be "yes"?

Regardless, I'm sure he's fluent enough in baseball spanish.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If this were true, he'd be worth a fortune.