1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brantley out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SWTsig, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dubon has had some bad luck at the plate but is also being misused. As a utility player he still has good value. Rarely strikes out, can play solid/good defense at 7 positions, decent base runner. As long as you don’t count on him as an everyday hitter or run producer then he’s fine, especially while he’s still cheap.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He can play SS. I get that Camden Yards is big, Javier was pitching, and Dusty was manager, but I was still surprised to see Diaz at SS and Dubon in LF on Sunday.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that the Astros are going to keep Verlander and make meaningful upgrades and catcher and at 1st base.

The amount of money that is expected to keep Verlander is very high and that will take a lot of the Astros payroll flexibility. It is very possible that Verlander costs the Astros 20 million dollars more next year.

At catcher they will likely stick with Maldonado unless he actually does retire like he has internally discussed this season. A big reason Diaz is up with the Astros is to see how he takes to the responsibilities of working with this staff. They want to see if he is going to have any shot of preparing like he is supposed to, asserting himself and retaining the knowledge. Most likely either or both Lee and Diaz are on the Astros next year and playing back up catcher. So I don't think the Astros really plan on spending money on that spot.

That doesn't even include Jose Alvarez who some in the Astros system think will end up being the Astros long term catcher.

They need an outfielder and a first baseman. They have a lot of outfielders in the system that are really close to needing at bats. Meyers will get a shot and at some point Leon will be playing for the Astros (if he isn't traded). That doesn't even include Dirden and Gilbert who they view as likely solid big leaguers. So unless they can get a really productive player in free agency or in trade (Tampa is open to making moves for some of their guys under team control), my guess is that we will see a really cheap veteran or internal promotions.

First base appears to me to be the position that they are most likely to make a signing or trade for, the problem is that there isn't much out there.

Jose Abreu would be an excellent fit but he wants to stay in Chicago and he is 36 so he could slow down at any time. There are some veterans like Brandon Belt, Anthony Rizzo and Josh Bell.

The other option is the Astros may try to rehabilitate someone like Wil Myers, Joey Gallo or Mitch Haniger.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gallo holds some appeal as a player who can play multiple positions (1B, LF, CF) where the Astros aren’t totally set. If Houston wants to try and give young internal options a shot, Gallo could serve as excellent insurance against them struggling.

Mentioning Jose Alvarez as a potential long term catcher is shocking. He has never really been talked about as a real prospect and was moved up and down 4 different levels never really playing everyday. I would’ve expected several other guys (Miguel Palma, Nerio Rodriguez, Cesar Salazar, Luke Berryhill) to be ahead of him.

I agree Houston probably won’t have the resources to upgrade C and 1B if they bring back JV. I guess I was just dreaming that Crane might be willing to overspend since they will come in well under budget this year and since JV is such a big piece of the puzzle and close to Crane.

5. the shark

the shark Member

I am CLUELESS why you're so quick to trade away Brown????

Have you not been watching him pitch?? I really don't think that you have because if you did you wouldn't be including him in these crazy trade proposals you keep coming up with.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- I just don’t see a fit at all. If you want to bring him in as a non roster invitee to Spring training, ok… I guess? But at any kind of salary snobs the minimum I think it’s a waste, and I’d argue the opportunity cost of a roster spot is greater than the roll of the dice that he still have more productivity left than just what we you’d get out of playing Chas or shake or Leon everyday. I don’t think he’d be better than any of those guys, but maybe I’m wrong. Even if he was I wouldn’t want to spend the roster spot on someone so limited.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Try Hensley at 1B. He and Mancini could handle it. Gotta resign Mancini though. Don’t really see that happening.

8. Nook

Nook Member

There are a number of guys I would have interest in, but it probably comes down to value for the Astros.

I could see Mitch Haniger really interesting them if he can play some first. He has been a really good bat in the past and just is having a bad year. It is possible that he slides through the cracks and the Astros get him. Gallo is the same way. The strikeouts are disgusting but his OPS+ historically has been really good.

No one expects Alvarez to be a world beater but they like how he works with pitchers, his work ethic and they think they can get him to hit well enough to stick around.

I think that he would over spend for the right scenario.

For example I could see him resign Verlander and then potentially sign Jose Abreu if he can be had at good value. That would cost the Astros a decent amount of money but it would add a player fans would be excited about, at a position of need and fits the Astros line up needs and clubhouse.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I love Mancini from a non-baseball skill perspective.

Great intangibles and hits the ball hard. He needs to make more contact and improve launch angle to fit the "Astros way" and he's a slow runner.

I would have no issue with them resigning him.

I do, however, think Rizzo is a better fit for this team. Left handed better BB-K numbers, older so he would likely sign a shorter deal.

I think that Clifford or maybe Melton is the future at 1B for this team. But mot until 2024 at earliest maybe 2025.

Rizzo on a 2 yr deal would work well.

everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Brown is good but he's not a can't-miss, top prospect some people have made him out to be. He has the upside, but his floor is still lower than people think. Trading Brown and Korey Lee for Sean Murphy isn't the worst idea I've ever heard. Sean Murphy is an all-star catcher with 3 years of arb left. That kind of player costs alot.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Rizzo has a 16 million dollar player option with the Yankees.

My guess is that it would take more money than the Astros would pay but maybe not.

He has back issues, but is younger than someone like Jose Abreu.

If I had to guess, Rizzo is back with the Yankees unless they target someone like Abreu.

12. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW the Astros would likely deal Brown and Lee for Murphy in a heart beat. It solves their catching issue for three years and adds a quality bat to a line up that sorely needs one. They add a bat that gets you an OPS+ in the 119-130 range at low salary. That lets the Astros not have to get as good a bat at some other spot in the line up. That is a good 50 point in OPS+ improvement over Maldonado.

Brown is an underrated prospect nationally, but I am not sure that he is a long term starter. The Astros already have Garcia that is like that. So I could see the wisdom in moving 5-6 years of Brown for 3 years of a good hitter that is at a position of need and is solid with the glove and known as a hard worker.

There is a good chance that one of Garcia, Brown or Urquidy are dealt for a position player. The Astros shopped Urquidy at the deadline and didn't like the offers.....

xcrunner51 and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t understand the caustic response. But Murphy is one of the 3-5 most valuable catchers in baseball and has 3 years of control remaining. Players like that are extremely valuable. Brown is a good prospect, but there’s no chance he carries more surplus value than Murphy. And all of that ignores the fact that catchers who can hit are extremely rare and Houston has a surplus of MLB-ready SP.

Nook likes this.
  14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Ok interesting. I figured they would value Brown a lot more than you seem to indicate. His first few starts and stints out of the bullpen have been impressive both due to his poise with men on base and with his swing and miss power pitching capability. I would've thought the FO would see him as potential ace material or #2 type player in the rotation. Maybe I've just bought into the hype! I'd hang on to him.

everyday eddie, the shark and Nook like this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

Why do Astro fans always like to undervalue our own high quality young starting pitchers? Don't understand it.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Why do SOME fans overvalue them?

The truth is almost always in the middle

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't be shocked if Brown becomes a #2 or #3 starter. His stuff is really good, but he also has struggled going late in games.

Also I think that people are undervaluing Sean Murphy.

Sean Murphy is a Gold Glove catcher that limits stolen bases, works well with pitchers and is durable. He also happens to be a very good hitter for a catcher. He has an OPS+ of 125 this season. For comparison Maldonado has an OPS+ of 65.

He is a guy that is just entering his prime and is currently a 4-5 WAR catcher who could be even better joining the Astros.

He is very similar in value to J.T. Realmuto when he was traded a few years ago.

CisBuds4U and xcrunner51 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

How much do you think Brown is worth?

I think he is certainly more valuable that the industry trades have him listed, but he isn't as valuable as someone like Sean Murphy.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I've been dreaming of Murphy on the Stros for a couple of years now.

They've got 2 very good C prospects, and they're the A's, so it's inevitable he gets traded at some point.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Adding Sean Murphy to the line up and subtracting Martin Maldonado is a major improvement to the line up.

Wulaw Horn likes this.