1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Roy: I want the ball a lot more

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.kptv.com/news/25385043/detail.html

Interesting comments.

Where do you think the Blazers go from here? Are they true championship contenders?

2. bucket

bucket Member

I'd need to see the actual quote to have an opinion.

3. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

It's power mongering stuff like this that makes people turn from Brandon Roy towards Kevin Durant as the next big thing.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Uh oh! I read these comments Monday or Tuesday and I'm disappointed some in Brandon Roy. He complained that Oden was getting too many touches and now he seems to be sending signals about Andre Miller. Roy Wonder has to understand the Blazers must develop a legit 3rd option on offense in order for them to contend. This necessitates him handling less of a load until crunch time, which is where he excels.

I'm sure there will be a "clarification" soon, though he was very blunt and you could tell he was saying what he really felt.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i applaud him if he indeed did say that. i love stars who want the ball and responsibilities b/c i'm sure they feel they can make their team better.

props to roy. for him to take the next level, he needs to take his game to the next level. to do that, he'll definitely need the ball. he took a step back last year.

the blazers will only be great if roy is great.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that worked...in the regular season. Once they were in the playoffs he had to carry them because of it and just had to get doubled for them to lose.

You can't be the man all season and then expect the team game to kick in when you need it during the playoffs. He needs to learn to play off of Aldridge and Miller as well. The league is too competitive now to try to do it his way, especially when he's not a superstar and one dimensional.

7. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The quotes are in the video:

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's definitely true that they need a legit 3rd option, and it's fair to think Oden might could develop into that (if he can ever remain on the court). But Andre Miller is old. He isn't developing into anything. He is what he is.

9. aaaa

aaaa Member

I'm not entirely surprised this has come up again. The dilemma is that Roy is much more useful with the ball in his hands, but how much is it that it becomes a detriment to the team (i.e. not involving Andre Miller and/or other players)? He doesn't really play well off the ball.

10. t_mac1

all superstars/all-stars who are playmakers need the ball to be effective. they aren't ray allen or rip hamilton or kevin durant.

even kobe bryant had a usage of 33+ and his team still won the title. sure roy isn't as good, but for the blazers to be successful, roy needs to be great, not just very good.

wade did the same and he won a ring in 06.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think the problem is the Blazers play at such a slow pace even guys like Roy who wouldn't be complaining about shots become ball hogs. I mean, if the entire team only takes around 15 shots per quarter, and you have to share it with 4 other guys you'd end up taking very few shots a game.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, people talk like playing with the ball in your hands is a bad thing while Kobe and MJ took a ton of shots and basically hogged the ball during their entire career. How can you make that game winning shot if you don't have the ball in your hands? :rolleyes:

Not everyone can be Reggie Miller and make a living popping out of screens in catch and shoots. In the playoffs those type of guys fade anyway, and the ones who carry your team are your ball handling playmakers.

13. t_mac1

i think it all stemmed from mcgrady. now a lot of people on this board thinks you need everybody to be involved to win. sure that would be nice, but that happened ONCE in nba history.

stars win. i'm sure roy knows this. roy has the ability to average 25, 5, 5. and if he does that, teams will fear him even more and it will open up for everybody else, esp. aldridge and their shooters.

14. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I don't have a problem with Roy wanting the ball. The problem is going to the media about it.

And if you're going to the media about it, at least leave specific teammates out of the quotes.

Roy singled out both Miller and Oden, that alienates the team and divides chemistry.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Click on link. Give video.

16. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Goodbye Brandon Roy.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Disgruntled superstar? Paging Morey....

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

The actual quote that someone posted in this thread is nothing major. He wasn't complaining and it didn't sound like he was mad.

What is wrong with being the best player on the team and wanting the ball in your hands more?

It's not like he's complaining about not getting enough shots, he just feels like he is a playmaker and wants to make plays for his team.

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Wait wait, I tought this was a team sport.

Roy is good but what? Who was the main reason the Blazers stayed in hunt for playoffs and took a challange against the Suns? Remember, Roy was injured and came off the bench.

He is the best player on the team, hands down but let's not forger that Miller was a big part of their 'success' last year as well.

If Roy handling the ball more means more wins for the Blazers, I am sure McMillan will follow. But I just don't think it will be that way.

20. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Between comments last year and this; it seems like there's some sort of bad blood between Miller and Roy and a disconnect with the coach since Roy isn't able to get things done just talking to them.

Between Roy, Miller and pouting Rudy F, it sounds like things are going to be rocky in Portland this year. I'm not even sure how Oden's going to take hearing Roy talk about taking away some of his shots too.

I think Blazers will under-achieve this year.