1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Roy Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daeyeth, Jan 4, 2011.

1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

It's official now, the game just lost one of the elites and I'm sad for it. It was way too early! I know everyone knows this already but I don't feel like it's getting enough attention. I think that's largely because there's so many young elites nowadays, with Rose and Westbrook's emergence, that it lessens the blow of Roy's loss. But imagine if Derrick Rose had a career ruining injury, it would be all over the place!

[Y! Sports] Roy's All-Star Days Over

I'm definitely gonna miss this, you were fun to watch man, even as an opponent:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/upld8ZTmx0s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/upld8ZTmx0s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

man he had suck a sick crossover

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4vUyHIczpO0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

3. BleedsRocketRed

It sucks for him that he is in this situation, and I hope everything works out. To think, he could have been a Rocket had the draft gone our way as planned. Yikes!

4. windz

windz Member

just reading the words "bone to bone" sounds painful...

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Even when a guy is just targeted in the draft by the Rockets he gets injured...

1 person likes this.
  6. The Situation

The Situation Member

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Makes me cringe, but it's Roy's decision. I don't see how it is "high risk" for the Blazers at all. Either he has some sort of surgery that could help him or they eat the rest of his contract (minus maybe a few bucks).

I'm rooting for him too, but Brandon Roy the elite player is gone.

8. gah

gah Member

From the link provided:
    If that doctor is PHX's team doctor than I want my grandparents traded to the Suns, ASAP.

1 person likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

NOOO, it was so fun watching him play, He's not the fastest guy but he's always in control and so smooth

truly hopes he can make a decent comeback

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why does he not have any meniscus to begin with? I know he had knee surgery, but why did they remove all the meniscus? Did they not anticipate this problem?

11. HombreDeHierro

Well they probably overestimated the amount of articular cartilage left on his joints..

turns out he didn't have much to begin with and taking out the meniscus further compunded the issue

12. victorx91

victorx91 Member

Sucks. He was one of my favorite non-Rockets. The Blazers were one of my favorite teams after the Rockets because of their young core and stars. I wish him luck in the future and hope he can come back in good condition.

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Imagine a knee without it

[​IMG]

14. blink

blink Contributing Member

roy is not elite... he wasnt an elite scorer or an elite defender... so what exactly about him is so elite?

my one praise for roy was his ability to stay calm and collected... other than that, i see nothing elite about him

15. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Wasn't an elite scorer? Obviously you haven't watched enough of him. Roy could score at will. Quit being a hater.

16. blink

blink Contributing Member

lol "at will." sure buddy, i watch him play and he cant score at will

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

elite scorer in the league its a widely held opinion around defenders in the nba

anyway,
    thanks for the buzzer beaters against the rockets roy
    i was looking forward to you being paired with aldridge for a long time
    good luck on future business endeavors

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

he shouldn't have played last year in the playoffs

i picked him to be the next kobe but effin injuries man, good and nice players always get injure

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Actually he could. When the going got tough late in tight games, Brandon Roy was a top 3 closer in the NBA. The Blazers won a boatload of tight games because Roy would either hit the shot or get fouled despite everyone on the floor knowing he was going to make a play. He was definitely an elite player in that sense of the word.

When it came to tossing in 30-40 point games "easily", Roy didn't do that. But over the last 3 seasons in the final 5-10 minutes of a game, the only player definitely more "elite" than him was Kobe. Except for this season, I watched well over half of the Blazers games. The guy was incredible.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You must not be watching closely then

Do you not remember 08-09 playoffs when he burned through Artest and Battier for like 42 points

and Do you not remember last season when this happened to Ariza

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVkUyolLUmE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVkUyolLUmE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If he proves he could score at will on Battier, Artest and Ariza, three of the top perimeter defenders out there he's an elite scorer