1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think it’s pretty clear after last year that Jabari Smith is 4/5. I think there will be points in his career where you could see the majority of his minutes play center. Im also super high on the projection there. He did a great job finishing inside relative to his experience this year. And while he was not a shot blocker necessarily, I think his leg can be helpful down there and he is already an above average defensive, rebounder.

There are some similarities between the two being sweet shooting SEC freshman but I think the differences aren’t being talked about enough. Miller handled the ball and created for teammates WAY more than Smith. I’m concerned about the finishing % inside from Brandon BUT I also think further physical development and NBA spacing will cure that because he is tall enough already.

Im an Alabama fan (mostly football) but I watched a good bit of basketball this year because they were so good. I honestly think Miller is a better passer than everyone on the team NOT from Turkey. Especially as a PnR creator/distributor.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Man, it would be amazing if we got Miller. I don't see it happening but I hope it does.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If the Rockets have Miller significantly higher on the board than Amen. Make them an offer they can't refuse to jump up to #3.

#4, 2024 or 2025 first, a few seconds, KPJ or Tate, etc.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

FWIW, I would love it if Miller fell to us. Scoot > Miller > Thompson, but I would be happy with all three.

If you draft Miller the whole complexion of the team changes versus the Amen Jalen backcourt scenario. Now you are banking on Jalen Green eventually becoming your on-ball hound, but it'll take 2-3 years to ramp him up. It'll be the exact same boat the Suns were in with Devin Booker when they added Chris Paul to teach him how to become Point Book. In their original incarnation they made the finals with Paul, Booker, Johnson, Bridges, and Ayton.

For us we would have Miller and Jabari in the Bridges and Johnson roles, something I think they can each surpass in terms of performance and extra side skills to diversify our offense. Old Man CP can be replicated by whoever you want, Harden, Van Vleet, or even an Older Man CP since our goal isn't championship contention this year but just building winning habits. And then I think it's not a far cry at all to ask Sengun + our big man FA acquisition to more than exceed what Ayton has given the Suns so far. In fact Sengun can take a huge amount of the ball distribution load that we'd be asking Green + him to eventually do.

I would love Miller on these Rockets.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Todd Whitehead | @CrumpledJumper
    We're working on some new player comp tools @SynergySST. Here's a sneak peek at the "NBA play-a-likes" for 14 potential lottery picks in tonight's draft based on their production (box score), play style (play-type + shot-type rates), and efficiency (PPP).

Here are some examples of stats that we are using to find player comps (all measured relative to league-average performance):
    •production: PPG, assists, steals, blocks
    •style: post-up rate, 3PAr, rim rate, C&S rate
    •efficiency: on-ball PPP, 3P%

Here are some examples of things we did *not* use to determine a guy's "NBA play-a-likes":
    •height (or other body measurements)
    •age (or other surrogates for potential)
    •direct measures of athleticism

As such, these can't be interpreted as projections or draft comps.

In other words, these are *not* the three most likely career outcomes for each prospect, they are three NBA players who had similar statistical profiles as the prospect last season (each relative to his own competition level).

[​IMG]

6. csc177

csc177 Member

Jags likes this.
  7. csc177

csc177 Member

Miller will be a rocket

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Odds say no

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's hope the Rockets aren't stupid enough to let the Blazers extract an asset just to draft Amen. If they want to let Miller fall to us, we take him and don't look back.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's looking likelier by the minute we will get Miller

Haymitch likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

This is all great, but that suns lineup is collectively passable on defense. Our projected lineup would be bottom 5 forever.

12. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think that’s OK. There is something to be said about taking the best player from the best ranked school in the country.

Wemby/Scoot/Amen: I do get the "jaw-drop" potentialz, I do… But all three of them come from trash leagues, there’s going to be some rude awakenings for all three and who knows how they’d adjust. This kid is a bit more tested IMO.

Whitmore is a top talent, but may not see playing time because of extreme selfishness, coaches hate that.

Miller may be a fine compromise between high ceiling and some certainty of floor, given how he performed in a very competitive environment.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Seems like the whole Miller dropping is just a bunch of unsubstantiated smoke. He's a much better fit for Portland than Scoot and there's no chance they pass up on him. Especially not for Amen who needs the ball and Lillard ain't gonna play SG to accommodate him.

mario_v likes this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I like Miller too but I'm wondering how good he is over Taylor Hendricks. Hendricks actually seems like the better shooter from 3, Def the better defender, better finisher and better athlete. Also younger.

If we get Miller I'm ok trading down to Orlando for 6 and 11 and getting Taylor Hendricks and Anthony Black/Cason Wallace.

NewAge likes this.
  17. cazyapma

cazyapma Member

Fork Woj.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

He said the same thing last year.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Brandon Miller is a much better natural shooter. His volume from 3 is easily translatable to every single team in the NBA. Offensively there is much more to like from Miller as a creator and playmaker. Hendricks however is a much better defender like you said particularly as a shot blocking wing and in help defense. Hendricks offers you versatility on defense that you wouldnt get with Miller. I kind of hated how Miller fell apart during the NCAA tournament.

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

I agree. Miller has a bit of game besides the shooting, but that is lame IMO, it won’t translate. He doesn’t have burst or first step, like Whitmore. A bit of PG13-like fakes and jab-steps around the perimeter to get his shot-off, but no more than that. I’d rate even Jabari slightly higher, even though he doesn’t have a bag, but is taller and has a high release, so he can simply get his shot off. Simple but effective. Miller has a bit more sizzle, but not sure it translates to NBA.

Hendricks is more or less 3-D guy for now, not much of a bag, but that’s OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.