1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

IMO the only reason to take Miller is if you're picking scared. He's a relatively safe pick, will almost certainly be an NBA contributor, but his ceiling is a real step down from the rest of the top 5 or 6 players in this class.

The Rockets shouldn't pick him, not because of the position he plays, but because we shouldn't be making safe, high-floor, low-ceiling draft picks at this stage. Let the poorly-run organizations make those kinds of mistakes.

Little Bit and SamFisher like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

you've probably told everyone a 100 times what you think. folks like myself don't agree regardless if you want to say it over and over.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Name 10 players better than Booker.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It sounds like you have the lowest opinion I've ever heard about SGA. I'm not a fan of his but he is a top ten player to everyone. He's undoubtedly worth the max and in trade would net 8 years worth of picks and swaps.

It's a very huge gap so that's a bad trade and I'm sure he would openly admit it himself.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Joker, Embiid, Luka, Giannis, KD, Tatum, Butler, Curry, Ja, Lebron, Kawhi

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That is the correct answer.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…the alternative is pick the next Ben Simmons - a guy who gets the max based on his potential who ultimately never learns to shoot and becomes the worst contract in the NBA. High ceiling is high risk and we already have a lot of high ceiling guys here who don’t appear to be approaching that ceiling. I think Miller would be a fine pick for us…different answer if we are on year 1 of the rebuild but entering year 4, we need something resembling an immediate impact player.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

Ceiling means option of the maybe. floor means realistic reality.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Simmons didn't fail because of his lack of a jump shot, he failed because he had sh*tty intangibles. He was a walking triple-double his first few years in the league.

If you are convinced we already have a future top 10 player in the fold that's fine. I just can't quite get there yet. I'm not saying we definitely don't but I am very uncertain about it. So I think we should keep taking upside swings until we do find that guy.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I mean I only see one realistic scenario, in which Miller is on the board at 4 - and that is if two other teams prefer Scoot and Amen to him. So if we are drafting and Scoot and Amen are off the board, I would take Miller. He is a player that is doing practically everything well. I don't know if I agree, that he has a low celiing. With the other people there is always the "if" - Amen/Scoot can be special, if they can be a good shooter (and unleash their defensive potential). Cam Whitmore can be special, if he can get a better feel for the game and find his teammate.

Brandon Miller is a great shooter, that also can get to the basket, find his teammates and defend - and has great size for a SF. For him to be special, he doesn‘t have to turn a real weakness into a plus, he just needs to improve on several already good skills.

I definetly wouldn't take him over Scoot - and I am not sure if I would take him over Amen. But if he sits there at 4, I would take him over Whitmore, Ausar,Hendricks, and Walker. I still have a soft spot for Black though...

11. TimDuncanDonaut

In the odd chance that Miller falls to #4, Rocket's due diligence should be like that of Hornets, where they sent lawyers down to Alabama right now to make sure if the victim Harris family files a lawsuit; it will not cause future complications.

The mother that died from the gun he bought.

[​IMG]

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ja is a toss up and currently I wouldn't take LeBron nor Kwahi, neither can carry a team now.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Neither can Booker though. Dame, Shai, and AD are three players you can definitely add to the list, and then there's a whole handful of guys that are on the same level as Booker and are arguably better, guys like Ingram, Fox, Garland, Kyrie, Paul George, Donovan Mitchell, Halliburton, etc.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That is the correct answer.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would know longer put Kawhi on the list since he plays so seldom. Curry, Lebron, and KD are better, but again age and injury will creep into the equation.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I would be fine if Miller fell to us.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

From a basketball perspective, I wouldn't hate taking Miller if he falls to #4. (Not going to get into the off the court concerns anymore.)

For as down as I have been on him in this thread I'll acknowledge that he's a great prospect. I have him in roughly the same tier as Jarace Walker, Ausar Thompson, Cam Whitmore--a little higher floor, a little lower ceiling than those guys, but overall roughly in the same range of prospect.

He would help us and he will probably be one of the most impactful non-Wemby prospects day one. Would have to hope I'm wrong about his ceiling; I see something like really good roleplayer/borderline all-star, but some analysts clearly believe he could be better than that, so hopefully they're right and I'm wrong if we do end up with him.

Sure hope they will exhaust all reasonable options to trade up before they pick him though.

19. invocux

invocux Member

After carefully watching him in the last couple of days, i'm convinced that he's better than Jabari. He's a much better basketball player in general. Can do a lot of things Jabari can't. Still i'm not the biggest fan of him. I think you can find his archetype far more easily than Scoot's archetype in the league. I mean we can find a shooter and we don't need a shooter who can do everything on the court. I'd at this point be ok with just a shooter like Keegan Murray. Someone doing what he's supposed to do we really need such guy. A reliable hardworking shooter. I'd trade every single human being in this team not named Sengun and Green to get Scoot. I feel like his peak is mentally stable Ja Morant. His ft percentage is encouraging enough to assume that he can develop 3pt shooter. He has court vision, a willing passer. Man **** Harden if we can get Scoot. That's where i stand. If we can't get him still **** Harden respectfully i don't want one man team. Especially that dude is 34 years old serial choker that will not take a backseat. I am telling you we MIGHT **** everything up if we don't play our cards right. You might raise the floor of this team by getting Harden but also lower the ceiling. So what was i saying? I like Miller more than Amen but give me Scoot pls.

Shark44, Rokman and arabrocket like this.
  20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

A lot of those players are debatable. Current Durant isn’t a lot better and say butler prior to his playoff performances you wouldn’t include him in top 10 before booker. Booker is lethal and at his age is a lot better than butler was and even ja.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.