1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Pretty unlikely IMO. He has a lot more development to do than people realize if they expect him to be more than a spot-up shooter. He'll be a nice roleplayer for whoever gets him, you can never have too many good perimeter shooters in today's league, but I wouldn't be shocked if he never makes a single all-star game.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

it isn't unlikely

very much has a bright career ahead of him

3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets are putting the Miller rumor out there for James Harden to know he has the spot here if he wanted it.

4. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Harden will be the point guard

Rudyc281 and YOLO like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Harden with great 3 point shooting around him would be pretty, pretty good. Something Morey could never build here, but is able to install in Philly within 2 season. Isnt that convenient!

6. maj21

maj21 Member

Brandon Miller over Scoot all day! Y’all overrating scoot like crazy. Stop following the narrative of him being “generational” and actually watch him play.. anyone looks good in highlight reels

Corrosion, Rudyc281 and YOLO like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've watched both of them play a lot. Scoot has the kind of talent that will translate to the NBA, between his elite first and last steps, explosive leaping ability, fantastic court vision and passing abilities, and creative finishing ability around the rim. I also believe in the jump shot. His FT% was fine, and that's usually a good indicator. The mechanics also look clean. It'll come around, and he could even become a great shooter down the line.

Brandon Miller has mediocre athleticism, a low release point on his jumper, and very little ability to finish around the rim in traffic. He will not be able to create his own shot or create for others in the NBA. Any 6'9" player who can knock down 3s at a high clip is a rotation player, but is he top 5 pick level good? I'd argue not. How much better is he really than a guy like Taylor Hendricks who will be picked around the 10-15 range?

Scouts are rarely wrong when they heap the kind of praise on a prospect they've been giving to Scoot. He is highly likely to become an all-star and has a real shot at superstar status.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. scoots biggest sell is the casual narratives that put him out there as some huge talent. He isn't. And the fact that the rockets are in dire need of an a pg, it helps the narrative. And then folks who don't truly follow all these prospects just act like the sheep they are and just run with it not knowing any better. With the possibility of harden coming back continuing to loom, it makes a ton of sense Scoot not being the 2nd pick in the event thats where the rockets land.

Make no mistake Miller is easily just as good of a prospect if not better that Scoot. Scoot actually has a higher probability of busting. A guard who can't shoot is never a good combination and puts limitations on what kind of team is around him

Rudyc281, PatBev and maj21 like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

No, his biggest sell is all the professional NBA scouts who love his game and think he can become a superstar. Stop trying to push ridiculous narratives and stop accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you of being sheep. So many toxic people on this forum who resort to ad hominem attacks when they don't actually have an argument.

10. maj21

maj21 Member

I respectfully disagree. There’s been many guard like scoot that fail in the league. Every year there’s a Scoot, the 6’2”-6’4” athletic guard that can’t shoot and who’s bad on defense. I think being a 6’9” sniper that can create his own shot and has defensive versatility will translate better imo

YOLO and OremLK like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. its funny how you act like you have these professional scouts who hit on point every single year. newflash they won't and they never will. that's your weak attempt at finding confirmation. Oh a nba scout thinks a draft pick will be a superstar?? where haven't we heard this before. Oh nvm we hear that every single year.

you're one of those toxic people actually. I guess you categorize yourself as sheep then since you took it that way. makes sense

maj21 likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's fair to be skeptical and maybe you're just more sold on Miller's shot creation than I am. I just don't think it'll translate. I will point out though that most of the recent athletic guards who were lauded the way Scoot is have panned out pretty well!

Doncic, Young, Garland, Barrett, Morant, Edwards, Ball, our own JG, and Cade looks like he will get there if he can get/stay healthy--not all of these guys will become superstars but all look like they will have excellent NBA careers. Top 5 picked point guards/combo guards have a pretty good track record in recent drafts.

maj21 likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

This is a pretty realistic scenario for Miller. He doesn't project as an elite defender, he's small (relatively speaking), and he has a low release point. At 3 I'd rather take Jarace Walker. He already dealt with Kelvin Sampson and has way more nuance to his game than Miller does. Not sure what lesser Jabari is going to do here and that's not even getting into his off the court issues.

OremLK likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Brandon Miller at 2 over the consensus Scoot??

The Rockets would never pick a raw guy at 2 over the player everyone expects them to take. Look at Green over Mobley. Oh.... wait...

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

No to Harden. Final answer. Had enough already. I've seen Drunk Harden, Playoff Harden, and will not watch Declining Harden. Much prefer young talent for a real coach to develop.

maj21 and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If we get number 2 and can't trade it, Miller is my pick.

DD

maj21, KingSamJack and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. maj21

maj21 Member

Miller can be the next BI or PG imo. Another thing that people fail to mention as far as needs is the SF position. Tari and KJ are bench players and we need someone that can create, defend, and shoot at that position. Shooting may be our biggest weakness, not saying we should draft for need but miller fills that void as well

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BTW - I said this months ago.

Miller would be 2 for me.....if we had to take it, but I would prefer trading it on for quality veterans.

DD

maj21 likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudyc281, mightybosstone and J.R. like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets need to be ready to pull the trigger if available.

Rudyc281 and tinman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.