1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think people are misremembering Paolo and Jabari as prospects. From NBA.com

Bari:
    1E8AFAA2-A959-4503-AF72-55F9E580A7FC.jpeg
    Paolo:
    86457B80-A780-4D5D-A77F-D9A3794DF526.jpeg

In short, it’s not surprising that Paolo started off hot, and it’s not surprising that Jabari is taking a bit longer to find his footing. The delay, though, is meaningless in the (hopeful) scope of each’s career.

rpr52121 and Zen Tabak like this.
  2. maj21

maj21 Member

Did y’all see what Jabari did in his lone tournament game last year?

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

He was injured

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We will get rid of low character guys (KPJ, Nix) in the offseason, not add more of that kind.

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Little Bit and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

we know

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

He may not be guilty in a murder case, but that article does nothing to suggest he's not a low character guy. Quite the opposite. Character is partially who you hang out with and the choices you make. Any team that takes him will have to do their homework, make their own risk assessment, and be convinced that he can make better choices in the future. I hope it's not the Rockets for those reasons and the fact that he got bullied by some SoCal dudes and looked far from an NBA top pick.

Deckard, Rashmon, Nook and 3 others like this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’m confused about why Miles is being charged with murder?

Is it just because he initially lied to police about not knowing what happened? Unless I’m missing something it doesn’t sound like he was involved in the actual shooting at all.

Regarding Miller, he may or may not be a scumbag, but I don’t think these events point in either direction. People are so quick to have an opinion about someone based on anecdotal accounts of one event that occurred in someone’s life as a teenager. It’s really ridiculous.

Deshaun Watson was thought to be squeaky clean but turns out he was a sexual predator at worse and a pervert at best.

Peyton Manning is all on TV and is an American treasure and he supposedly sexually assaulted a trainer when he was 19.

It goes both ways. You don’t know these people and bad judgement calls don’t necessarily mean you’re a bad person just like appearing to have a squeak clean image doesn’t mean you’re not an undercover scumbag.
    Im putting myself in that situation as a teenage football player at FAMU and if one of my friends/teammates said hey can you bring my gun I left in your car because it’s some guys acting funny out here I’d have taken them the gun.

Now as a much wiser adult I’d urge my friend to get out of the area because if they feel they need a gun due to sketchy individuals in the area then they just shouldn’t be there if they don’t have to be. “Hey I’ll give you your gun, but I’ll meet you at your place or mine or somewhere not in the area you currently are.”

#468 xtruroyaltyx, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    glynch likes this.
  9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

racist ass MF’er lol

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk how u can put kpj nix and Miller in the same group.

Nix has no off court issue that I know of, he just sucks. Imagine being grouped with folks in trouble with the law/ red flag just bc he sucks at playing bb, kinda messed up

Mr.Scary, glynch, Little Bit and 2 others like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I genuinely have no idea what this has to do with race?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know of any off court issues, I just don't like his body language and lack of effort (in addition to his bad on court performance by NBA standards). He seems to have a passive aggressive attitude to me, also on social media. But you are right that he might not be in the same category as the other two.

OremLK likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We can’t judge Miller as low character per se, however my character concerns arise more from his actions and attitude since the tragic shooting.

in pre draft interviews he will have to address the incident directly and remorsefully as well as have a plan to avoid bad situations going forward. He is not talented enough to waste a top 5 pick on if he’s going to be a knuckle head going forward.

14. dmoneybangbang

Definitely gives one pause as a top 3 pick but a bad stretch of games happens.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I would argue though, that if you were are a "guaranteed" top 5 draft pick in the NBA draft in 6 months after that evening, driving back to that scene and returning the gun is the absolutely wrong decision. Guys in that position for the NBA are often groomed on how important perception and marketing is through the prep/AAU circuit.

The other aspect of the situation is that he has not really responded to the
    situation in a way that warrants forgiveness. He generally refuses to talk about it to press. The university, coach, and him just act like it should be forgotten or not discussed. Sure it is not going to go away entirely, but a better press facing response to the whole situation would go a long way to improving him image and public zeitgeist about him. Just because what he did was not illegal, does not mean it was not wrong.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Meh people are gonna judge regardless, if his skills are as good as hyped, he's gonna make money regardless and let his game speak for itself

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

reporting about the incident has been all over the place

1st it was Miller was telling Miles through texts that the gun was loaded giving proof that he knowingly transported the murder weapon to the scene

then it was that those texts were from the other guy and Miller had no clue there was a gun left in his car and all he knew is that he was driving down to pick them up

the 1st scenario is alarming…the 2nd one is an unfortunate, unintended involvement and makes a big difference…it would make sense why they couldn’t find anything to charge him with as well if that is actually the case

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

AroundTheWorld and Arnel like this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Arnel likes this.
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

True, but Brandon Miller's attorney's statement never claims that Miller wasn't not aware of the gun, just that never saw, handled, or touched the gun. The statement even acknowledged that Miles text Miller to bring the gun. Even without all the sketchy reporting and coverage, his own lawyer's statement and phrasing doesn't make me lean towards the unfortunate, unintended involvement side; probably more right down the middle.

Even beyond all that, the entire Clutchfans forum has basically been in disarray the past 2 seasons because they are waiting for one of the young guns on the Rockets to become a leader of men. A guy that do the dirty work to help out the team, be cool in tight situations, call out his teammates when they make mistakes, and be a guy who will be presentable to media while take the heat off his teammates when things go poorly. On top of that Silas has not filled in that gap, and Stone/FO seem AWOL on the whole front.

Despite whatever happened that evening, nothing that Miller has done that evening or since has given me any evidence that he going to demonstrate those qualities and be that kind of leader. If anything it suggests the opposite. So would you want to draft him in the top 5 to a team with a ton a bunch of other young players who have not yet developed that leadership mantle, and FO/Coaching staff that doesn't really appear to be filling that gap or valuing that aspect of a player?

I totally understand that is a huge ask/burden to throw onto a 19-21 year old college student or NBA player, but that is basically what most teams are looking for. And it definitely what the Rockets need right now. It's why there are so many posts on whether to bring back Harden, whether you think he can fit that mold or not.

#480 rpr52121, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.