1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Lloyd's on the trade block: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vinsensual, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Brandon Lloyd?

1. Eh might as well.

99 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No more bronco inbreeding.

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

For starters, 790 isn't reporting this. It's the interpretation (note the "in so many words" caveat) of one John Lopez, who I think most of you know is overly dramatic and not very credible. I'm waiting for the podcast and/or see a direct transcription of Dre's comments before I take this seriously.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, that doesn't sound good:

AnnaMegan Anna-Megan Raley
    Texans WR Andre Johnson said on @SportsRadio610 this morning that he's progressing well, but he's not able to run at full speed yet.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think they'll sign Mike Sims Walker but hope they make a bigger play either to elavate the defense even higher or a big play WR.

If they stand pat, that easy schedule the rest of the way becomes much more of a coin flip.

4. conquistador#11

they might not be "reporting" it, but the hosts were "talking" about it as if they knew what they were "talking" about, never revealing that they were getting it from chupacabra. :p

I need to go back and look at the tape.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, no need to get another receiver....lol.

DD

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

37 years young baby, and a decent complimentary one, but we need a guy that can stretch the D and is feared.....Lloyd would have been nice for sure.

DD

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Mason couldnt stretch his legs without assistance... Mason will be an afterthought in about 2 games....

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

you are not looking at the complete situation. 1) Mason was acquired before Lloyd was on the trading block 2) Mason has a track record of performing well. 3) Lloyd is a FA and looking for a pay day in the offseason. 4) Lloyd, although a big play threat, was also mediocre at best throughout his career with one year of breaking out. 5) he also doesn't have the size and blocking capability that the texans like in their WRs.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I understand all that, but if he worked out the Texans could have signed him for the next few years too...

I think you have to take a shot, AJ has been getting hurt a lot in these last 3 years.....this last one was particularly troubling because he was not even hit.....

DD

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

not really about brandon lloyd...but probably not worth starting a new thread either:

awexler Adam Wexler
    Hope #Texans can find some cap room RT @JasonLaCanfora: Eagles letting it be known that CB Asante Samuel could be had in trade

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Matt mentioned on TBS this morning that perhaps cap room was the issue with Lloyd. That's interesting, if true - I have no idea what their cap space is but I never thought they might be up against it.

Re: 610/Andre Johnson - I heard the interview (at least the first two segments) and Andre sounded down and discouraged - but gave no indication how long he'd be out while I was listening. But the vibe I got was that he wasn't going to play this weekend.

13. Hey Now!

They have to be looking for players, though, right? No way they're dealing him for picks - too much is riding on this season and their defense has been terrible as is. Removing him doesn't seem like a smart way to improve it.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was very hypothetical though. He had no idea (admittedly so) what the cap was and neither did Adam or Lance. It was suggested as "possible." I know you said that but I want to stress it before that becomes the running theme here.

Where's John McClain with a "The Texans decided to make a trade when they learned they were able to restructure contracts!" tweet!

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

of course it's an issue. They not only have to worry about resigning Arian but they also have the Mario resigning to worry about. This team pretty much spent and restructured a ton to get Joseph and Manning in here. Even with the cap increase, texans will not have a ton of money to waste, especially on a 31 year old WR who had one great year of production and doesnt fit their system that well.

16. Hey Now!

Including Brandon Lloyd every other season of his career.

Oh, he's probably, absolutely worth a 4th-6th round pick. My issue is why didn't *any* contender agree with that assessment? He went to an 0-5 team who's QB is in a walking boot. Their season is lost. That speaks volumes as to what the NFL thinks of him, doesn't it?

17. Hey Now!

Yes, yes - true. He asked if they had cap room and Wex and Lance had no idea. It was just an idea I'd never considered, generally - that maybe their hands are tied here?

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is no Mario concern. He either won't be back or he'll be back at a significantly lower cap number than he has this year. The Texans are not going to pay him a $17 million cap number next year after yet another injury plagued season.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

well of course he will be here or he won't and his first year of his contract would certainly not be as high as it is this year, however, he will still demand a pretty penny and that will factor into the cap,.

Point being, there are still cap concerns

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

you cant brand him as if last year didnt happen though... True it took him 5+ years but if u look closely, who the hell was throwing him the ball??.... I'd rather he follow this pattern of being a more veteran and knowledgeable , well-rounded reciever than a Chris Sanders type...