1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Lloyd's on the trade block: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vinsensual, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Brandon Lloyd?

1. Eh might as well.

99 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No more bronco inbreeding.

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Only to the(some) fans. I've learned to never underestimate Bob ;)

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Watch this fool extend Kubiak after an 8-8 season. He will use injuries as an excuse.

[​IMG]

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Doesn't compute. If he's a legitimate stud, they could franchise him. You also (smartly) gamble that a stable, winning environment might be tempting to him. Further, a game-changer is absolutely worth 10 games, even if he were to bolt - no way a 5th round pick has a bigger impact.

A 5th round pick has almost no value. If you could turn that into an increase of even one more win a year... teams would be lining up to do it.

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

The Patriots tried hard to go after him but couldn't fit him under their cap.

That's one contender that wanted him. I think the 49ers also had interest but also had salary cap issues.

5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
    Why do football trades never make sense? A 5th-round pick for Brandon Lloyd? Does he have a contagious virus or something?

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Exactly what all of us - except for Ric - are thinking.

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

We should pick up Mike Sims-Walker, he just got cut by the Rams.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's odd how fans are happy with trades in baseball where they send a stud for prospects that have like 10-20% chance of doing anything relevant in the majors. Yet at the same time dismiss the importance of cheap talent(mid-round picks) in the NFL.

If anything, picks are more important in football than prospects are in baseball, because there's a hard cap that limits spending. I'd rather pay a 4th round pick 400K and add a FA for $5 mil than trading that pick for a player I'll eventually have to pay $5.4 mil to.

This is of course discounting what Lloyd can bring to a team mid-season. But there's also the problem of learning a new NFL offense without pre-season.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sorry, but youve obviously failed to watch him play.

If? You dont fluke your way to a 19 YPC over a sample size of 77 receptions and 11 TDs.

Among WRs last season:

1st in yards.
    6th in ypc (nobody above him had more than 60 receptions)
    4th in TDs
    2nd in YPG
    2nd in 1st downs

Not exactly sure what you've been watching or reading...but very few players were able to accomplish what Lloyd pulled off last season. Ive never seen an average receiver do what he did. Football is a weird sport when it comes to trades...I mean, when Randy Moss gets traded for a 4th round pick, then Im not sure why youre placing so much stock in the price tag for Lloyd. Doesnt matter what the Rams got him for...they got an exceptional receiver.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Lloyd was traded for a 6th round pick, with a chance to be moved to a 5th. Given the Texans history in the 5th I'd take the risk.

Jarrod Baxter
    Ramon Walker
    Drew Hodgdon
    Brandon Harrison
    Brandon Frye
    Frank Okam
    James Casey
    Sherrick McManis
    Shiloh Keo
    TJ Yates

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Three of those guys are on the team. Those three guys making the team allows the team to go out and sign free agents like Joseph for multi-year deals instead of having a guy like Lloyd for 10 games. Also, the Texans would have to make room for Lloyd under roster and salary cap limits.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He would have helped more than a 4th or 5th round pick......oh well....time to move on.

DD

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

OD was a fourth round pick. You never know with the draft. We're ok at the WR position once AJ gets back.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, we are not OK there, we need another quality NFL receiver, and AJ has been hurt a lot lately, there is no guarantee he comes back as strong as ever, or remains available.

WR is one of the weakest positions on the team, and without AJ, it is THE weakest.

Imagine having a team where AJ has more help, and if you have to, you can rest the guy to keep him healthy?

That is what Lloyd would have given the team, he is a true top 10 WR talent, for only a 4th round pick? Come on...sign him up....

Then re-sign him if he works out.

Kubiak can not afford to be patient, this is a do or die year, he is playing with fire at a thin position.

DD

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

don't really have an opinion on the non trade. A bit glad we aren't trading away our future coach's picks though. Gary's replacement needs them but I just heard that Andre won't play this week and will probably miss another 6 weeks per 790.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

why havent you made this a post topic then??... I doubt the validity of that statement

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

because Adam on 790 just talked about it like it wasn't a big deal. I don't know all the facts so I felt no need to scream FIRE in the forum.

18. conquistador#11

I question the validity of the statement too but 790 did say it.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

just asking not bashing bro... I hope it doesnt happen but if it's true...... Whewww!!!!!

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

StephStradley Stephanie Stradley
    Podcast? RT @LopezOnSports Andre Johnson on...indicating he won't play this wk (in so many words) & may be "up to six weeks" He hopes sooner

LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
    They had better do something RT @LEXthePEX: @LanceZierlein Do you see the Texans making another deal today if Andre is out up to 6 weeks?