1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Lloyd's on the trade block: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vinsensual, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Brandon Lloyd?

1. Eh might as well.

99 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No more bronco inbreeding.

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Major

Major Member

Why would you use career stats when one guy had his best seasons several years back and the other had by far his best season last year? By this standard, the Texans would be better off with a 50 year old Jerry Rice than anyone on their roster right now

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I'd pass on MSW.

I mean if the Rams cut him, what makes you think he will be any better with us.

I'd see if Brandon Marshall could be had. But he makes too much money and we can't afford him.

Dwayne Bowe is the only other logical choice.

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

Yes, he's significantly better than Eric Decker. Please don't post stats showing me that he isn't -because Decker stepped in this season when Lloyd tweaked his hamstring.

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Sims-Walker was a starter early this season, but he was benched after dropping three passes in Week Four, and he wasn’t even active for Sunday’s game. 11 catches for 139 yards and no touchdowns.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

Career stats? Really? Bad comparison. Lloyd was injured off an on from 2005-2009. Lloyd was also only used as a deep threat during this time. LAST YEAR he worked hard and developed into an all around receiver and led the entire NFL in receiving yards with Kyle Orton as QB. Broncos are cleaning house because they want Tebow to fail and Elway wants Andrew Luck - not because Lloyd isn't a stud receiver.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Walter went 5/81 and a TD against Oakland; Jones went 4/76 and a TD yesterday. They've been OK. Like you said - they're not going to replace Andre Johnson - but they've been productive: 4.5/78.5, 1 TD. Lloyd last year - in his only breakout season - averaged 4.8/90.5 and .7 TDs.

Messages get fractured and broken into a million pieces across a million different threads. I'm fine with an upgrade - who wouldn't be? I just don't think they need one and I sure as heck-fire don't think we have to Hulk smash that they didn't deal for a guy no other contender or even near-contender thought was worth a 5th round pick.

Orton threw 41 TDs in '09 and '10, completed 60% of his passes and posted QBRs of 86+.

And of course Lloyd is going to lead Walter in counting stats - one plays next to Andre Johnson; the other doesn't.

Then why did no other contending team deal for him? Are the Texans the only one with a lack of depth at WR?

I love your specious reasoning. Why are Mason and Daniels not playing in the *obviously* worse scenario?? That seems awfully convenient. Johnson, Mason and Daniels play regardless. And Johnson and Daniels, Lloyd or no Lloyd, are your two best options.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ah, yes, I do remember. Well Sims-Walker has talent. I say give him a shot.

And Josh McDaniels has a history of dumping good players who do well elsewhere.

8. Hey Now!

You're right; let's replace our injured star WR with an oft-injured WR who, other than last year, hasn't started double-digit games since 2006.

My point is that Walter - never a #1 option - has been a comparably productive player in roughly the same # of starts.

So why are they "punishing" him? Your words. Why did no other contending team think he was worth a 5th round pick? People keep dancing around this rather important fact, as if the texans exist in a vaccum. Tennessee lost their best WR for the year and are 3-2 - why did they not deal for him?

9. Hey Now!

I was being sarcastic - you seemed to be holding being the #1 option on the Broncos up as some grand accomplishment.

10. Hey Now!

No; I'm arguing they're good enough for us to win 10+ games. We're talking about what would be the third or fourth passing option in this offense (behind AJ, OD and Foster) - how often do you think the 3rd or 4th passing option affects the outgame of games?

11. Mr. Clutch

I don't disagree with that point. I'm not as outraged as everyone else about this. He would indeed be just a 3rd or 4th option for us.

But I do think he'd be a huge upgrade over Jacoby or Walter.

And anyways, we don't know if the Texans offered the same deal. Maybe they did.

12. Major

Major Member

And, of course, as you pointed out in your criticism of him, one terribly run route that led to an INT on the last play of the game again Oakland.

Fair enough - that's where I joined this thread.

Ummm, Walter wasn't going to lead the league in receiving without Andre Johnson or with Peyton Manning as his QB.

I have no clue. But no team drafted Arian Foster, and Moss was only considered worth a 4th round pick several years back. You get rewarded for taking advantage of opportunities when they are out there. No one else paid anything for Derrick Mason either, but you seem to think that was a good move.

Sorry if I was unclear - separating out the "and Owen Daniels" was meant to imply that he'd be there in both scenarios.

And Daniels is not the 2nd option over a Brandon Lloyd - or at least not the Brandon Lloyd of last year or the Daniels of the last few years. Daniels catches less than half the yards of Lloyd per game - and Lloyd would be a legit deep threat and 1000 yard receiver possibility with a full season on this team. Not to mention that it would cause all sorts of additional one-on-one opportunities for both him and Andre having teams have to guard both of them.

Having good receivers on both sides of the field dictates coverages and gives your underneath receivers and RBs that many more opportunities.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can we just lock this thread now that Lloyd is a Ram?

14. Mr. Clutch

No. I want to keep arguing.

15. Mr. Clutch

Two words: Josh McDaniels.

He has a history of doghousing players and getting rid of them. Then they go on to other teams and play well.

Exhibit A: Hillis, Peyton.
    Exhibit B: Marshall, Brandon.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn. What the heck was he thinking?

17. Mr. Clutch

He's a dumbass. Then he traded up to get Tebow.

1 person likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

I actually came around to blaming Schaub.

Look, I don;t think Jacoby is good; I think he's the 5th option on the tam. This is like arguing about the 8th or 9th man off your NBA bench.

No; but he's a competent WR. My point is two-fold: this is a 10-win team with or without Brandon Lloyd (assuming health); and if they're not a 10-win team, then it won't be because of the 4th and/or 5th best non-offensive lineman on the team. I mean, that's why I think all this talk of a "#2" WR is overblown - he's the 3rd, more often 4th option on the team. Johnson and Daniels are 1 and 2; Foster often a legitimate 3.

That's not an apt comparison, Major. They have years and years of Lloyd playing in the NFL to go on; they know *exactly* what they're getting - a guy who just posted a 1,400-yard season. And yet...

Let's compare who traded for Moss and who traded for Lloyd. A good team with a great system took a chance on Moss and was rewarded. No contending team, even soft-contenders, had interest in Lloyd; not even the team that dealt for Moss way back when. The Titans lost their receiver for a year; a year in which they could steal a division crown... and they did nothing. That doesn't bother you at all?

It was a fine move and I'd welcome a move to get Lloyd, too. I just don't think Brandon Lloyd is the difference between an 8-win season and a 10-win season. Hell, his team won 3 games last year. Not his fault - but...

Daniels is #2. Again, you have to consider the offense - this isn't a comparison in some vacant field in Iowa. Schaub doesn't have a strong arm and is getting pummeled in the pocket. Adding a deep threat doesn't really move the needle on *this* team. Defense will learn pretty quickly he doesn't have the arm or time to get Lloyd the ball.

Look - if they add him, or another threat - great; I'm all for it. I just don't think they need it. They've been, overall, a prolific offense the past 2 years and 6 games without a "legit" #2. I'm at a loss why this suddenly became THE issue holding the Texans back.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im shocked at the disrespect thrown Lloyd's way...sure, the guy might not have had the most consistent career, but last season, he stepped up his game big time and was easily a top 5-10 receiver. Currently, there are not more than 10 receivers in the NFL that have as complete of a game as Brandon's.

Lets not get things confused here...teams didnt trade for him bc he lacks talent. In actuality, teams didnt trade for him because of his contract situation. Would be kind of stupid to give a 4th or 5th round pick for 10 games. If Lloyd's contract situation was more stable, then you'd see half the league vying for his services.

The guy is a stud, and anyone who disagrees, clearly hasnt watched enough of him.

20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Obviously the genius Texans FO disagrees with you. I mean, they're jobs are on the line and w/o AJ, our offense looks like crap. We don't have a legit #2 who could slide in as a #1 and they still don't pursue him?

We need to make the playoffs, these picks will be worthless. Why not just give up a 4th rounder?

Should have been a no brainer, IMO.

An AJ/Floyd WR combo would rival the Fitzgerald/Boldin one a few years back in AZ. Andre deserves a competent WR alongside him, not Jokeby Jones.