1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Laird called up, Wallace to AAA

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baseballa, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Astros have selected Brandon Laird from AAA, optioned Brett Wallace to AAA. Laird hit .353 with club-best 14 RBI in 12 G for OKC RedHawks.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/324923548152000512">April 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Astros also designate LHP Xavier Cedeno for assignment to make room for Laird on the 40-man roster.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/324924108628447232">April 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Thank God. Hopefully Grossman will replace Ankiel soon as well.

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Should be one more additional roster move with two getting sent down. Fernando getting activated? Or another pitcher up?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Probably a pitcher. Maybe coming off the DL?

6. speed star

speed star Member

Possibly picking up Julio Borbon off waivers? He was waived recently and the Astros were rumored to be interested.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its no secret Wallace is having a bad year. In fact, he is having an awful one. So bad that it seems obvious something is definitely wrong for he isnt .046 BA bad.

Mental? Swing mechanics? Ive heard nothing on the evaluation front. Surely the things that can be seen have been looked at, his AB videos and such.

I suppose for me, if he was hitting .220, I would just say the guy cant cut it. But to be abysmally bad points to something else.

9. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

It's just concerning since its that inside strike out that is getting him. Can someone post his K-Zone or whatever it is that shows where he swings and misses? I would be shocked if most of his strikeouts were high and inside. What bothers me about this is that I do not think he was striking out on strikes but rather unable to identify what was a strike in that high inside part of the plate.

10. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Whatever it is, the guy has had 800 career plate appearances. I'm comfortable closing the book on the Brett Wallace career.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not a good trade for Ed Wade. Oswalt for Wallace, Happ, and Villar. Hopefully Villar can turn into a player but I don't think he's ever going to be able to hit Major League ball.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Pence for Singleton, Cosart, and Santana will be his redemption though.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Wasn't Wallace traded from Toronto for a piece of the Oswalt trade?

13. juicystream

At least we got something for flipping Happ.

At least Villar's K-rate has improved. Hopefully he will snap out of this early season funk like he did last year, but not go punching doors this time.

14. juicystream

Anthony Gose for Wallace.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

ok first move is done.