1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Which would you pick? A team with Luc Longley starting(wherever you like,1-5) and no Michael Jordan. Or, Jordan on your team, but Luc Longley starting at 5 or coming off the bench?

It doesn't matter. Jordan allowed that to happen.

It's called "complementing your star players" or maybe "being a role player.":rolleyes:

2. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

It could be also mentioned..Cat led the team with 3 steals and held Barry and Lenard to 12pts for most of their 45 minutes.
    Braggs looks like he can play .

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You just stated my point!

:rolleyes:

4. DavidS

And where were you last year when Cato was playing just a hard?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I liked what I saw from Braggs in the Nuggets game. He looks strong and looks like a hard-working guy with the right attitude.

6. xlr817

xlr817 Member

:) ;) Korny...but I likes !:D Hopefully this won't happen, somebody must hide the pen from CD! Anyway TB is playing well even though this was only the 1st game of many! Keep it up TB. Man, hopefully EG can get his life together & deal with his demons as best he can, there is more to life than BBall! Depression is no laughing matter & it doesn't care if ur dirt poor or filthy rich ..it can happen to anyone, however slight or severe!

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

****, he had tito maddox starting at pg (w/ mobes on the bench and steve starting sg) for the rest of the year after having a non-terrible game against memphis the one game steve missed. and now tony "barely made the team" braggs is starting at 4 over cato despite doing nothing better than cato and cato being very solid at pf just so we can have a backup C named cato. the obvious answer is to keep cato starting at pf, let him backup C when needed, and then have mo t play most of the other minutes with braggs getting the rest, more if someone gets in foul trouble like the last game.

8. DavidS

Heh, funny how you bring Francis into this thread...just like you. Still sore I said some "meanie" things about your boy!?

As far as Titto? Well, anything to get stop Francis from dribbling the clock out and shooting up forced shots like he used to do before JVG got here.

Oh, and SF is playing more like a SG today, than last year.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Well, ok then, as soon as we cut Yao, then MoT, Eddie, or Braggs should start at PF.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

:D

And don't forget, Tito is not playing for anybody right now. So, we can bring him in and trade Stevie F. for Ward, Othella, and Dikembe to back up our front court and PG.

Don't be so serious David S.

:D

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Braggs has surprised us with his apparent ability not to suck as a role player, but he ain't gonna start. For one thing, he's an NBA rookie. He's also not as good as Mo and Cato. I mean, there's a REASON the guy only plays 6 minutes a game. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But, hey: he's better than Amaechi.

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Braggs, whom I am very pleased with, should aspire to be the next Chuckie Brown.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Braggs reminds me a big ot Carl Herrera or Othella, cause they both banged and did the dirty work and scrapped there way to becoming someone. Too bad Carl couldn't keep his Shoulder in place. But i think braggs has a bit less offense then them though. But i liked him a lot in the opener. Someone just doing what it takes to win.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

apparently Cato was pretty damn good playing the 4 spot on Thursday night and during the pre-season so why not follow your own advice and let Cato do what he is good at. Playing the 4 spot when teamed with Yao Ming and playing the 5 spot when Yao Ming is not in the game.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because that would make too much sense. Cato compliments Yao well and since we do have Yao playing on our team, Cato should be the court with him.

16. DavidS

Cato will start because it's a necessity now; we don't have Griff, and MoT is nursing his sholder. But not later.

I wouldn't want MoT to start even if he was able. No rebounding. But I'll take Braggs over both at 4.

We'll just have to wait and see how the next new weeks turn over. Trades will be made. You can count on that.

17. DavidS

...before the trade deadline or next years personnel changes...rather.

Then maybe we can get a PJ Brown type foward. We NEED a PF. Period!

Our current lineup can NOT challenge the west. I really hope that Cato at the 4 is temporary. If Braggs can work out, then great.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Our current lineup beat the best team in the west and defending champion SA Spurs in the last preseason game. What's to think they can't do it in the regular season?

19. DavidS

Our team is a lot better. That's true.

The Spurs a few days ago, will not the be the same Spurs at the end of the season.

If we get into the play-offs, we still have to play those games; SA, LA, PHO, SAC, DAL, MIN, will be in our way.

We need to get a real PF. Griff was going to be that guy in a couple more years (5 or 6th year in the league). But now that he's gone, we've wasted a top draft pick. We need to fill that void.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

what can PJ do that Cato can not? Play defense? Rebound? Obvioisly he does neither of those any better than Cato. Sore? I would rather have Cato's 50% plus shooting with limited shots.

Cato and Yao Ming make up the biggest and most physical 4 and 5 tandom in the league. Both can play defense and block shots. Yao Ming is great on the offensive end and Cato is smart enough to only take shots he can make which is why he has averaged over 50% shooting for his career.

Our front court looks plenty good to not only challenge the best teams in the west but to be better than most including San Antonios.

MoT is great at coming off of the bench to either team with Yao Ming at center or allow Cato to slide over to the center spot while he mans the Power Forward spot.

Cato knows his place on this team. Rebounding, Defense and the occasional highlight real slam dunk for good measure.