1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bradley,Bol,Nevitt,Muresean,Ming--The ALL 7'4" and above team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by waltsucks 2, Nov 7, 2002.

1. waltsucks 2

waltsucks 2 Member

That says it all..............there has never been a great 7'4" or above center in the NBA. They are clumsy and do not have the speed and skills to make a real impact in the NBA. I hope I am wrong but doubt it. Ralph Sampson is the only success story I can think of and many people considered him a power forward.

2. tommycatluvsme

One would think that the Rockets would learn from history. But, no, they repeated history, and drafted another 7 foot bust.

3. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Rik Smits

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Close this thread please!

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Dude...your a f***ing idiot for starting this thread.

Generalizations are stupid. There is a start for everything...before there were no great guys that came out of HS...there were no great international players in the NBA...there were no big guys who could hit 3's...etc.

You can NOT generalize on the 4 or 5 guys before Ming to use for your statement that Ming will not be an effective player.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's a good thing people aren't judging Ming's entire career based on his first week in the league and his third week in the country.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i know you posted stupid things in the past,but this is the worst ever.should the grizzlies have tought when they drafted gasol,well there has never been a god spanish player, he will be a bust. And Nowitzki,bryant mcgrady,brown,garnett.they had superb first weeks.
    i think that it is stupig for people to judge ming so early.
    but there ar verry stupid people in this world

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I agree that you can't judge Yao on how those guy's careers went but it will be very interesting to see how Yao, and Bradley do against each other. In case you haven't noticed Bradley has been playing very well this year (so far).

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What about Rik Smits, Mark Eaton, guys like that. If we use your logic then Barkley would have never made it in the NBA because to my knowledge there was never a 6-4 (and he is 6-4) PF who dominated because they were to short. Ralph Sampson as you mentioned, heck Shaq is 7-3. But congratulations on saying Ming will be a bust because you happened to see a couple of tall guys who didn't do that well in the NBA. Kareem approached 7-4. I mean is it just stupid to judge people on their heights. There's 6-0 guys who suck, 6-5 guys who suck, 6-9 guys who suck, 6-10 guys who suck, 7-footers who suck, what have you. But people like you find it easy to have 7-4 guys or taller who struggle because 7-4 guys are rare. I mean think before you make an idiot out of yourself and say Ming is a bust.

#9 RocksMillenium, Nov 7, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2002
  10. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ok why can their be a great 7'2 center (Shaq) but not a great 7'4 one?

Using your logic in Wilt's time there was no great 7'1 center, does that mean noone should have drafted Shaq 30 years later. Of couse not, evolution happens and mind is not a slow 7'4 player like Muresan and he is not rail thin like Bol or Bradley.

He will be fine.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

Where is Mark Eaton? I mean, hes not a "great" player. But the guy one Defensive Player of the Year a few times.

To this day, in my eyes, Mark Eaton (when young and healthy) is the only guy that could ever guard Hakeem one on one on a constitant basis and be successful.

13. costashater2

costashater2 Member

codell, You know your stuff, Did you ever see Jazz vs Rockets games from 84 to 93. Eaton did give Olajuwon major league problems in certain games. Eaton even held Dream to 6 points in the 87-88 season. Then there were those nights when Hakeem would would just slam the ball right down Eaton's throat. It was truly a great match up and I have a lot of their match ups on videotape and they are very entertaining to watch. Eaton averaged an astoninshing 5.56 blocks in the 84-85 season that was truly an incredible block total.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

I probably saw almost all of those. Eaton held Hakeem under 10 pts on more than one occasion if im not mistaken. Out of all the players Dream has matched up against, I enjoyed watching him play Eaton the most because Hakeem had to be ultra creative to beat him. Hakeem had some of his career worst games againt this guy.

I missed Eaton when he left the league.

15. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

And on a side note:

The all-time NBA 5' 3" and under team would be consisted of Muggsy Bogues. He had good speed, excellent ball control, and could steal the ball exceptionally well in his prime.

From this, we can only logically conclude that all 5'3" and under players make pretty good point guards, right? :rolleyes:

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You know somebody had to pull this back up! :) The last 3 games Ming 59 points 30 rpg and 6 block shots and shooting well into the 90%s. So his average for the last 3 games? 19.7 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg. Oh yeah he sucks, is clumsy and can't play. He also abused Shawn Bradley. If this is the Rockets not learning from history and drafting another bust then the Rockets need to ignore history and draft more busts!

17. cujo

cujo Member

Thanks for reminding us about this stupid thread......what happened to the guy who started this? probably still in denial.