1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bradford to return

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by updawg, Oct 9, 2009.

1. updawg

updawg Member

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford will return from a sprained right shoulder and start for No. 19 Oklahoma on Saturday against Baylor in Norman.

Bradford missed the Sooners' last three games after spraining the AC joint in his throwing shoulder in a loss to BYU. Coach Bob Stoops said Friday that the quarterback has recovered enough to play in the team's Big 12 opener.

"Sam has had a great week of practice and is ready to play," Stoops said in a statement. "We're obviously excited to have him back."

Bradford said earlier in the week that he hoped to play against the Bears (3-1) so he could get a game under his belt before next week's rivalry game against No. 2 Texas in Dallas.

But he also said there was a chance he could still need surgery on his shoulder in the offseason, creating doubt over how his recovery was going.

The Sooners have all but fallen out of the national championship race since Bradford's injury, suffering their second loss of the season last Saturday night at Miami.

Bradford said he still hadn't given up hope that Oklahoma could win the national title, the goal he set after deciding to skip the NFL draft and return to the Sooners after their run to the BCS championship game last season.

He said it would be selfish for him to sit out the rest of the season just because his team's national title hopes were slim and he could protect his shoulder.

"That's big for a guy like Sam to make the sacrifice that he made with the opportunity that he had in front of him to come back and work with us the next year," safety Sam Proctor said this week. "He's a very low-key guy, down-to-earth guy and that just says a lot about his character."

Bradford, considered a top NFL prospect, has been told there shouldn't be an elevated risk of re-injuring the shoulder by playing.

"I really don't think there's much concern for me taking a hit. From everything that I've received from the doctors, it's like taking any other hit. It can't do much more damage," Bradford said. "The odds of me hurting it now are just like the odds of me hurting it before anything happened to it."

from espn

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Just in time to dominate the Big 12... :cool:

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Did anybody see Sportscenter this afternoon? Robert Smith was on there and said the Oklahoma/Baylor game is going be a good game for people to see Robert Griffin. The problem is he tore his ACL two weeks ago. What a dumbass.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Too little too late. Get in line son next to Matt Leinart for the food stamps. Could of had a Jamarcus Russell like career - Do nothing, and make millions with hype alone.

BTW Mark Sanchez sends you his regards, thanks sucker! :D

1 person likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Shame he has no one to throw to.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bradford has some major tools that give him solid pro potential. But he isn't ready. He isn't mentally tough, he isn't a leader, and he has been a product of a system thus far. Yes he has to the tools to break out of the system, make it the NFL, etc... but he simply isn't ready. Not like everyone else thinks he is. He has yet to break the shackles and lead his team anywhere with his own grit. Again, its not necessary to do those things to make it in the NFL but the way people talk you'd think he has done those things.

As of right now he is protected. Like Jason White was. And he has yet to demonstrate he can do anything on his own merit.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Well, you guys do play Baylor without their stud QB, so your guys might be able to squeak out at least one conference win. :p

8. PointForward

PointForward Member

woah, you just produced the post with the most absurd cliches I've ever seen!

1. solid pro potential
    2. isn't ready
    3. isn't mentally tough
    4. isn't a leader
    5. product of the system

Bradford is a great quarterback and he WILL be a solid NFL quarterback, I don't know how you got all those "negatives" on him, I mean, not a single 1 of those 5 assertions can be backed up by concrete detail.

gag'm

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Intuition. I have it. Especially with college QBs. I nail their performance on a regular basis. What can I say? I am just saying he was wise to not come out last year and should probably think about returning next year if he doesn't return strong. If you could backup everything with details you wouldn't need to hire scouts.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

...to the all hype machine.

12. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

lol, heard about that. Pretty big gaffe.

It's not like the injury just recently happened either.

13. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I still think OU can beat UT with our without Bradford. No need to rush him back, IMO.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

What drugs are you on buddy? OU can't beat UT with a healthy bradford... they're trash without him. This quote is sig worthy.

15. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I wish Robert Griffin wasn't hurt. :(

I wish Bradford was (for this game at least). :(

16. updawg

updawg Member

You are crazy. Did you advise leinart to stay another year as well