1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Brad Stevens Next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Mar 31, 2011.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Also agree. I think we've got enough class in the locker room that Stevens would have no problems there. But I like Shane, and you can never have too much class!

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I hope Butler wins Monday night. If they do, then Steven would have nothing left to prove there and it would be easier to pry him away. But you guys have to remember other colleges might want him and don't forget about the Lakers. They will need a coach next year too. They really want the Duke coach he he already said he's not coming to the NBA. And I don't see them hiring Brain Shaw.

And yes history shows college coaches don't do well in the Nba. Rick P. And coach Cal wanted to be gm and the coach. Thats too much imo for a newbie. Thats why i said just hire him as a assistant for one year then throw him out there.

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

this. i thought that was the reason why we were keeping turner around.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure i'd want a young that coach to be the head guy.....you want someone who's had more experience in the NBA. However, he'd be a great assistant. That's what he should be initially. It would let him get a feel for the NBA, so he csn figure out if it works for him. He wouldn't get the blame if the team failed and he'd still would get a head coaching job if they did.

1 person likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Excellent post. I think it's unreasonable to suggest Stevens to take over an NBA head coaching job next year. He still looks younger than some of his *college* players, and I just can't see the NBA gang giving him the time of day at this point.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He would probably get Spoelestra'd by the players....pass.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Couldn't we have said something similar about that young chubby-faced stat guy Les hired from Boston a few years ago from Boston? Granted, coaches have way more day to day contact with players than a GM but many thought that move was crazy too since no fellow GMs, agents, and player he would have to sign would respect Morey.

Besides, if the "Stevens" move could work with any roster, the current Rockets roster would be the one it would work with.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

True...The only person I could see given him lack of respect or a hard time is Brad Miller!..I think he'll be a great coach for us.... I just worry about him in an Big City atmosphere...He seems like he doesnt care for the media or spotlight much...Thats a big adjustment from a small school atmosphere to Houston for anyone ..

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the differece is Morey usually has time to crunch all the numbers he wants....a head coach has to make a lot of decisions within the flow of a game and within seconds. No time to look up numbers and sort out the details. Sometimes the decisions won't even be based on a stat, but on simply knowing the tendencies of your opposing players. I'm not sure Stevens is that familiar with NBA ball, at least not compared to an ex-player or experienced coach.