1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Newley (possible #32 pick)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by hooroo, Jun 9, 2006.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=ford_chad
    "His game resembles Manu Ginobili's (note: 2nd round, 57th pick) more than it does that of most Euros. He doesn't have the quickness or creativity of Ginobili, but he's a good athlete, and he actually likes contact. He held up well against a very physical (Denham) Brown. Those who remember how Danny Ainge used to play would recognize some of the same feistiness in Newley.

...Only three NBA teams -- the Clippers, Pistons and Rockets -- have gone to see him play in Australia (note: Lakers, Atlanta, and Denver have also made the trip)..."

2006 Orlando Predraft Camp: Day 3, 6/8/06

http://nbadraft.net/2006orlando003.asp
    "Brad Newley was impressive shooting the ball. He finished with 8 pts on (3-6 FG). He'll have a decision to make after the camp whether to stay in the draft or pull out and play another year in preparation for the draft. He reportedly has offers from European teams and could be best server rolling the dice this year. He shows good passing and shooting ability and an scrappy attitude. He lacks an explosive first step or standout athleticism, but he's been solid at the camp."

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1332
    "It was another solid performance for Brad Newley, who has impressed in unconventional ways so far this in this camp. Where most players remain overly assertive here and end up forcing things, Newley lets the game come to him. He works tirelessly off the ball, coming off of screens and making productive passes. That doesn’t stop him from hustling, however. Newley
    always remains active, hitting the deck for loose balls, pressuring the ball in the backcourt, and always looking for ways to make a positive contribution. He had been a non-factor as a scorer thus far in the tournament, but managed to hit three nice looking midrange jumpers in this game. Newley hasn’t separated himself from the pack enough yet (a chance to see what he can do off the dribble would be nice), but continues to contribute for his team doing the little things."

2. dream2franchise

I fully support this. An Australian on the Rockets means more Rockets coverage in Australia. I can't begin to tell you how many Bucks games they showed this season.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Looks intriguing, but I don't think we need "intriguing" with the #32 pick. We need "ready".

I sure do like what I read about the mental side of his game though. Sounds like he's got that mean streak that we are missing.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With the #32 'stashing' a guy for another year, to mature etc, works for me if that means he'll be a ready stud when he gets here in a year or two.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I think we need a ready #8. For #32 though, we need potential, a sleeper, upside, a diamond in the rough. If a 2nd rounder is labelled "ready", it normally means he sucks.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Agreed

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like Gansey, Tucker, and Novak better.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Newley probably will not get drafted. If not, then the Rockets could just invite him to camp. No harm, no foul.

9. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

We need a shooting big man is what coach jvg says. That 32nd pick is the pick to get him. That makes Pittsnogle our man in the 2nd round.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

this draft is guard-heavy. if it's going to be like previous drafts where there aren't many big men 2nd rounder bigs aren't likely to make it past summer league.

if newley can live up to expectation (in australia he's known a shooter, as the best 6th man) maybe he can be a variation to what bogans or rybo are currently offering behind t-mac.