1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Miller signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jaingfang, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
?

Brad Miller the next Brent Barry

1. yes-he will run out of gas like Brent

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. no-he will be a solid contributor & play well

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  1. OkayAyeReloaded

I like the signing. If we didn't sign him there would have been people complaining about Morey not signing any free agents.

He will contribute like deke used to, a veteran who can provide quality minutes so we can rest Yao (we all know he will need less minutes this year). He can provide size, defensive toughness, nice passing and outside jumpers to help keep defenses honest. He will complement Yao since he can hit jumpers and not clog up the lane as a post only big man (cough Chuck Hayes cough). I like chuck's defense (sometimes) but not his size/lack of shot blocking ablity and very limited offense.

He provides another intangible: he's kind of crazy/has balls. When we lost ron artest we lost some toughness, same with landry. The rockets had NO leadership for years, T mac never had balls and Yao was more finesse and perhaps could not lead due to cultural differences with american players he hadn't gotten used to yet. Every team that wins championships has leaders with balls.

The only thing I don't like about becoming more and more like those 2000's Sacramento teams is that they were stacked. dangerous, and a threat to win it all, But they were soft on defense and never did win it all.

Lowry has mental toughness and so does miller. To win it all we have to have the arrogance to believe we will win every game every time against anyone.

2. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

LOL, my wife thinks DA is the best looking guy on the team.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I don't actually understand how going further into luxury tax range effects anyone but Les?

It's a contract for this year + a partial/maybe full lockout year + a small partial guarantee.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Actually - 2nd year: Lockout

As such, the contract is only for $6 million.

Nonetheless, 3 years, 15 million is about the same deal Toronto gave an aging Hakeem over 10 years ago.

5. lostfans

lostfans Member

he is good, but he is overpaid! 3m is the most!

6. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

:eek: It seems people have different opinions about this signing

one side, basically saying this guy is overpaid and brings nothing that we need, namely shotblocking and defense in the paint....

the other, this guy knows the system, has decent skills, capable backup, complements our second unit, is a vet.....

OK, let's see how this guy performs on the court.....

7. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I would rather we signed Gortat last year with the MLE instead of this. Well, it's Adelman's man and hopefully something big happened afterwards.

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Just to have the Magic match just like they matched Dallas' full midlevel exception offer sheet they signed Gortat to?

We'd still be in same situation...

9. VanityHalfBlack

Can't imagine what your fantasy team would look like based on looks... Too bad George Clooney and Brad Pitt aren't basketball players..

10. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

as a backup center, brad miller is overpaid. but think about it, we could use yaoming+miller against lakers twintower, miller can shoot 3! a perfect piece to play with yao. if we fails this yr, miller as center position and we could trade yao for a real superstar. then we could still be a contender next yr.

11. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I found Jerome Solomon.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I think there is going to be a small-medium sized trade before the start of the season..

We have a lot of 4 men.

As far as Miller goes - he is not a shot blocking presence at all.

He will be handy on offense, but if Yao goes out with foul trouble/injury and we are expecting BM to anchor our D, well, we are in strife.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Your facts and logic are getting in the way of people's desire to improve Rockets! We need athletic Euros from sophisticated European locations like Poland, not old slow guys from backwater like Indiana!

What's the point of having a white player when he's not Euro?

14. raleigh

raleigh Member

An excellent way to look at this signing.

15. nebula955

nebula955 Member

why does this seem like a bad sign that yao won't be ready and miller will be our starting C?

16. mazinger

mazinger Member

It's not. Play Miller for until All star break then bring in Yao so he lasts through the finals and go beast mode on the heat.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my guess is that he will be an average player for us. He will have some games where he can't keep up, and gets exposed. Those who are against this signing and many other knee jerk reaction people will say how horrible it is that we signed him.

Most games will be average, and people will argue for and against how good or bad the signing is.

Then he will have a few games where he does something heroic, and for that game or few games he will seem to be well worth the signing, and even a bargain. The people who love the signing will proclaim that Miller is reborn, and was a bargain, and ask what Morrey knew that others did not.

In the end he will be just average. He will decline fairly rapidly.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

:confused:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It is not about appearance of body, it is about motion of finger.

19. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I found a troll. :rolleyes:

20. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

i feel the same way i did when we got...[​IMG]