1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Miller signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jaingfang, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
?

Brad Miller the next Brent Barry

1. yes-he will run out of gas like Brent

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. no-he will be a solid contributor & play well

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Hill, Andersen, Jeffries just became the most expendable players. Coupled with battiers expiring and Arizas value? Pretty good stuff for any team smart enough to bite. Hopefully some smart GM sees the mutual benifit Morey has given to teams like Sacramento and New York to go out and get Amare. If not? Their problem not ours. Their teams need money, expirings, draft picks, young players, veteran leadership, and bigs. We got it all. STEP RIGHT UP. Step right up! Deals for anyone interested in what you need. ;)

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree,that's too much money. The LLE would have been enough.

3. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I don't really care for how much Morey signs players. It isn't my money. All I care about is the number of years. The three contracts Morey has agreed to these past few days don't compromise the team's flexibility at all. This is huge in terms of upgrading the team in the future. So whether you agree/disagree with the choice of player, at least the contract doesn't hamstrung the team.

4. albuster

albuster Member

Funny but, this!!! Some folks here act like it's their pockets being on the line here. Mr. Alexander has overpaid more players in the past, much more than this with useless players, but we never heard him complain or pull back on the trigger as far as paying a player is concerned.

Rather than whine about this or that player being overpaid why don't we spend all that energy giving thanks and praise for such a great owner who is and has been always willing to pay if he sees an opportunity to get us a championship.

I don't know if the addition of Miller will take us to the finals but he plugs a huge hole in the middle as a back up to Yao. Besides, he showed that he still has a lot of gas left in the tank during the last playoffs playing for the Bulls and an in over his head coach. Now, with Adelman who drew out the best in him before, we could be looking at a dramatically different and better Brad Miller. Anyway, thank you again Mr. Alexander. Houston is very lucky to have and owner like you. Keep it up Sir.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes lets start a thank you to Mr. Alexander thread for being one of if not the only owner in our town willing to spend money on us as fans to try and win. I am for it. Thanks Mr. Alexander. Truely the best owner in Houston. :)

6. worzel gummidge

Pretty much the MLE. Bad contract.

7. worzel gummidge

Brad Miller is the other star to lift the Rockets from pretender to contender?

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I never said that. I am glad the Rockets try to add. You cant do anything by sitting at pretender doing nothing. Am I right?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I will bet this move indicates they are confident to add another allstar type of player this year or next offseason

10. worzel gummidge

Adding a bad contract can be worse to nothing. The Rockets are now around $8-10M over the tax. Worst case scenarios, this stops the Rockets from adding substantially more salary, acquiring that star player through trade. If another team is seeking a salary dump, e.g Rockets trade $20M for $26M, Les might be hesistant to add to his tax. Or this a PR move as they know their chances of that star upgrade are very slim.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

JVG liked to get ex-knicks.

adelman likes to get ex-kings.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Didn't you promise to leave the GARM?

13. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

and People said 31 yr old Yao won't get max?

14. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Good signing needs-wise.
    Bad signing contract-wise.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Well alot moving parts besides one player to make that happen. Alot can happen from here to start of the season. There is flexibility to do so. I dont know where you get Brad Miller single handidly hampers our future more than not having Yaos backup if we move Hill and have no Brad Miller to back up Yao. That doesnt make sense and hampers Les for going for the deal in the first place if Yaos backup Hill is involved. So? Again we have alot of expirings. Alot of young players. Alot of picks. I still dont see your point.

16. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

That will be Good Times, Good Times ...

This is going to be a great season. I give it 'til March when the 'media' catches on.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:confused:

The Rockets can't participate in a "salary dump" regardless because they're over the cap, and were over it long before signing Brad Miller. The most salaries in a trade can be apart is about 15%, which is fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not sure how many moves are going to have to be made before the nonsense about the luxury tax gets dropped. STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT. It's not your money, and it's obvious the Rockets are going to pay it. First, when the Cavs signed Lowry, so many of you were convinced we either wouldn't match or would look to trade Aaron. Then, we wouldn't sign Scola before finding a salary dump because it would put us well over. Then, we wouldn't sign Miller for anything over the minimum because he would put us further in the tax. When are you going to learn?

Les is going all-out for this particular squad. If a move is available that can better it, the Rockets are going to do it.

18. RyanB

RyanB Member

great deal
    since we've been looking for a backup C
    there were not too many options, so Morey couldn't miss this oportunity
    Miller knows Adelman's system, and he is a 7 Footer
    i think this is the best option available, and there is still hope with all the assets that we have to make an upgrade at the trade deadline
    this team if healthy, i think we can be at least at the second round

PS: for people worried about the 5 million dollar/year, you can send Mr Les an email to get info about his bank account where u can help him paying it ( Ala Cavs Gilbert) :grin: :grin:

19. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Makes me appreciate Les more for ponying up the money, esp with available FA dwindling. Welcome Brad Miller!! :grin:

20. worzel gummidge

The Rocket's being Les's main business and his reluctance to pay the tax in the past.

A lot of picks, young players, and expirings are just that until another team willingly trades a star in exchange. Expirings are overvalued on this board. The Rockets don't have the kind of young players that can make expirings attractive. Besides Brooks the ones they have are role players. The Knicks have gotten better than the Raptors and Charlotte this off-season so that's at least two teams they're ahead of for 8th seed in the EC.

With so much star player movement from trades and free agency. Who is there left to move? CP3, Melo, Granger, Ellis, Arenas, or Iggy? That's three players that might not even be on the market and three questionable stars.