1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Daugherty says Hakeem was the most talented player he went up against...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JimmyJackson, Dec 9, 2010.

1. JimmyJackson

JimmyJackson Member

http://dimemag.com/2010/12/dime-qa-...nd-jordan-unc-and-being-a-nascar-shot-caller/

Dime: You also played in an era with a lot of great centers. Who was the best athlete you went up against, and who was the best basketball player?
    BD: I played with Kareem, Artis (Gilmore), Robert Parish, Hakeem, young Shaquille, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Bill Walton … a lot of really good guys. I’d say the most athletic, most talented guy ever was Hakeem. Ironically, though, he never had really good games against me. The reason for that is that I read him very well. He was so much quicker than I was, I just made up my mind not to go for any fakes. I’d stay on the ground and always make him shoot over me. When he caught the ball in the post, I’d put my body on him and make him shoot over me. I didn’t try to block his shot. And I had good games against him. But he was the best athlete. You could bump him off-balance and he’d regain his balance and still make the shot.

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you realize about half the GARM is asking this question:

who the hell is Brad Daugherty?
    they probably think it's that dude who was on American Idol

#2 tinman, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance and Mark Price formed a pretty good Cavaliers team. Unfortunately for them Bulls suffocating perimeter defense usually made things very difficult for Mark during the playoffs. And then Injury hit Brad and cut his career short.

Great guys. Good citizens and very good players.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Cleveland never wins

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when we got Brent Price and thought he was going to be as good as his brother?

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The black Yao Ming.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah...we also thought Mirsad Turckan is a keeper and bypassed Rashard Lewis.

Brainfarts.

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

The nascar guy?

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

It actually is the NASCAR guy... shocking, I know. 2nd in career points for the Cavs (I'm too young to know that, but I heard them say that LeBron passed him) :grin:

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

yeah...it was always the nonathletic chubby guys that gave Dream the most trouble. They would be too slow to go for the fakes so they just decided not to. Daugherty, Mark Eaton, Sabonis to name a few.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:grin: Good stuff. I wasn't, but you're right.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great find! I love reading stuff like that from Hakeem's contemporaries. Eaton played Dream the same way and had some good games against him. Maybe Scola should study some old film! ;)

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Did y'all Olden Polynice played more games against Dream than any other center? In fact it was like constant torture, eventually he went off the deep end... started impersonating cops. Just flat out lost it. Hakeem Dream Shook Polynice's brains out. Rendered him permanently senseless.

14. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

please add Juan Howard in that list as well.

15. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

I don't know if that's an insult to our age or to the youngin's lol. Ahhh the golden age of the NBA, where a nail grazing to the ballhandlers armhair isn't a foul and an elbow to the ribcage is boxing out.